CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Ask CruiseMates Staff (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/)
-   -   Does price drop when it gets closer to the departure date? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/338392-does-price-drop-when-gets-closer-departure-date.html)

mleng August 20th, 2007 10:14 PM

Does price drop when it gets closer to the departure date?

My wife and I have decided on the RCI cruise leaving NJ for Bermuda on 10/7. We already booked the airfare because we got a good price. I haven't booked the actual cruise itself yet. Seems RCI doesn't discount their prices. I got a price of $549 for inside cabin on RCI's own web site, as well as 20 other web sites.

We are not very expericed cruisers (it's our 2nd trip). Should I give up and just book it or will I get lower price by waiting until it's really close to the departure date? (Effectively playing chicken with RCI.) What's the chance that the price will go up as the date gets closer?

kookylabooka August 20th, 2007 10:36 PM

Actually the price usually goes up the closer to departure date you book.Normally the earlier you book the better the price and stateroom choice.

Mike M August 20th, 2007 11:35 PM

Book the best cabin, you can afford, now. If there are any cabin "guarantees" take that. You may get an upgrade. If you wait there may not be a cabin available and you will be out of luck and be stuck with the air.

Royal Caribbean does not allow discounting of their cruises, so an agent cannot sell the cruise for less than Royal Caribbean is selling it. An agent may be able to add on board credit, free insurance or other incentives into the bargain but the price of a Royal Caribbean cruise will be the same. The only exception is group space and that wouldn't apply on a cruise this close to departure.

Take care and enjoy the cruise.
Mike

DougR. August 21st, 2007 07:20 AM

Another consideration is that the cruise may sell out, as my next one in November did. Then you may be on the outside looking in. Book your best deal asap.

gerif August 24th, 2007 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DougR.
Another consideration is that the cruise may sell out, as my next one in November did. Then you may be on the outside looking in. Book your best deal asap.

Absolutely correct - my RCCL cruise next Friday has been completely sold out for over a month. If the price goes down, you can always get the difference (unlike the airlines) - book now!

landpg August 24th, 2007 05:23 PM

Prices do go down, keep checking back !!

We booked on Celeb Mille/Panama Canal, lvg FT Laud, 4/20/08 rtn SF..early last month. Have checked back about twice a week and price had gone up until yesterday 8/23 when price dropped $250 per person from original booking rate. We were in a CC cabin and our friends in Balcony 2A. The CC rate is now less $$ than their cabin which increased, so I bumped them up to a CC, larger cabin for less money. Can't quite see why this would happen and neither did booking agent but it does pay to check back, we saved $500.00. :D Still have 5 months to go before final payment so I will keep checking back.

Thomas August 25th, 2007 09:44 AM

It all depends on the demand. If the cruise is selling well the price will go up, if it's not selling well the price will go down. Since you bought air you are better off booking the cabin and get it through an agent, who might throw in a hotel room the night before or after the cruise.

Regards,
Thomas