CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Ask CruiseMates Staff (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/)
-   -   Bringing baby on cruise (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/359917-bringing-baby-cruise.html)

New Mom January 6th, 2009 09:32 PM

Bringing baby on cruise

what is your view(s) on bringing a baby? I just want to get away with my husband...and I can't leave baby at home

Kuki January 6th, 2009 09:56 PM

You should check the cruise line's individual policies. Some have recently made changes to their regulations on minimum ages allowed onboard.

New Mom January 7th, 2009 08:13 AM

I will be going with Carnival...they charge $500 for the baby...they do not supply baby food, they aren't allowed in 'Camp Carnival' under the age of 2...and they don't allow babies to swim in the pools, even with a swim-diaper on. All they provide for baby is a 'pack'n'play' playpen in the room for sleeping. You have to rent one of their strollers. I can handle all of this, was just wondering about getting around on the ship with a baby..I've cruised 2x before with Carnival, but did not take note of those with infants.

hombre January 7th, 2009 01:27 PM

you should have taken note.

beenie weenie January 7th, 2009 03:10 PM

New Mom, Relax! This will be fine. Baby food is not that hard to bring on board. You can actually purchase it in your port city before boarding the ship. You can also pick up an inexpensive umbrella stroller at the same time for $10-15 at walmart when you buy the baby food.

or bring it with you from home... You are not required to rent one from Carnival.
This is from Carnival's website
"Children under 2 years old will be offered babysitting services from 12pm-2pm on sea days (Babysitting fees apply). During this time parents can leave their child with the Camp Carnival staff or they are welcome to stay with their child free of charge. "
"Children aged under 2 years old will be offered babysitting services on sea days during the supervised freeplay times (Babysitting fees apply). On port day mornings, infant care begins 15 minutes prior to the first scheduled ship tour to 12:00 noon, or port day afternoons during the scheduled freeplay times (for specific times check with your Youth Staff when arriving on board)."

"Babysitting is provided for ages 0-11, nightly, from 10:00pm to 3:00am. There is a charge for this service "

Here is the webpage you need to read sweety. Holler if you need any help.

"http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Camp_Carnival_Program.aspx"

***edited by mod***
rofl

dnunez January 24th, 2009 01:32 PM

We have taken our grandson 2 times, once when he was 5 months on Carnival and last October when he was 22 months on Princess. When he was 5 months we took his stroller to the diningroom at night so he could rest while the rest of us ate, when he was 22 months we mostly did the buffet so one of us could get his food and then take turns. We way overpacked diapers, wipes and babyfood the first time just to be on the safe side, but the 2nd time we knew more what to expect. The second time we took a sit and stroll since it doubles as a car seat and a stroller and was easier to move around the ship with. We are trying NCL this April and we are really looking forward to it. I hope you enjoy your vacation with your baby, my daughter, son-in-law, husband and I have had a wonderful time even though it is a little work at times with a baby, just go with their schedule in mind and relax.

Mermaid March 5th, 2009 09:22 AM

I would definitely bring a stroller. It is easy to get around the ship with a stroller or baby carrier. If the baby is of crawling or walking age, you might enjoy taking the baby to Camp Carnival during the times, where they let under two's use the facility with a parent.

Obviously it will be a different cruise experience with a child, but certainly can be just as enjoyable. Consider bringing along a grandparent, aunt, etc. , as that will give you and your husband some alone time.

ready2gonow March 5th, 2009 12:12 PM

You have gotten good advice, here!

We have been sailing with our PGB (precious grandbaby) and our DS and DIL, since she was 18 months old..... I believe. She will be 5 in April and has been on 7 cruises! She missed out on 1 cruise and was left with the other set of grandparents once, due to illness.

We have always taken her to the dining room, but requested a table for just the family. There are times when all attention must be focused on a child, and I don't believe it is considerate to expect other guests to have to do that. If she was fussy, someone would take her out of the dining room, until she calmed down.

In my opinion, it is no more difficult to take an infant on a ship, than it is to take a child on any other kind of vacation. It's just that Mom and Dad enjoy the cruise more!

Pattizoo March 6th, 2009 08:49 PM

Just read somewhere that at least one cruise line is about to offer a service where you can buy baby supplies to be delivered to your stateroom. Food, formula, diapers, etc. so you don't have to search out a store or pack for the airline.

kryos March 12th, 2009 08:30 AM

Re: Bringing baby on cruise

Quote:

Originally Posted by New Mom
what is your view(s) on bringing a baby? I just want to get away with my husband...and I can't leave baby at home

Assuming your baby is old enough to be brought on the boat, there is nothing wrong with bringing him/her ... just realize that you're really not going to have a relaxing cruise because you'll always be saddled with the child. The children's programs onboard most ships require participants to be potty trained, so unless you can snag a babysitter, you're gonna have to bring the child along everywhere you go.

Now some ships offer a nursery or babysitting service (for an extra fee), and I would suggest to sail one of those ships so that you can at least get some hours to yourselves while on vacation.

Blue skies!

--rita

kryos March 12th, 2009 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New Mom
I will be going with Carnival...they charge $500 for the baby.

$500 is pretty much the same fee that you would pay to have any third person in the cabin. It's a ripoff. And what's worse ... Carnival is going to expect you to pay auto-tips for the baby too.

HAL is pretty much the same way and that's why I could never figure out why parents would want to bring a child that young along. At least if the kids are older, they get something for the money. They can participate in lots of activities, both in and out of the children's program, and can use the pools and other facilities. In other words, they get their $500 worth. But a baby?

Are you "married" to Carnival for this cruise? Seriously, if not ... I would seriously consider another line where perhaps babies might be free (or $99). MSC comes to mind ... and perhaps Costa.

This is exactly why I've always shaken my head in wonder when parents bring very young children on cruises. The cruise lines gouge them for the kids, and I know that I personally wouldn't be willing to pay it. $500 for what? The kid can't participate in anything onboard, can't use the pools, is probably not gonna eat much of their food, etc. What are you getting for your $500?

Personally, I would sooner find a trusted family member to leave the child at home with, or just postpone the cruise to a point in time when baby can take advantage of more of the onboard offerings ... such as the children's club and pools.

That's just my opinion ...

Blue skies ...

--rita

kryos March 12th, 2009 08:41 AM

Re: Bringing baby on cruise

Duplicate. :(

Blue skies ...

--rita

Cathe09 March 13th, 2009 07:10 PM

It nice so much positive information is passed on. However, families with babies should not allow babies to cry uncontrollably. On our last cruise we were disrupted nightly by a crying baby. In the evening, the parents let their baby cry in their cabin while they sat out on their balcony.