CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Ask CruiseMates Staff (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/)
-   -   Bottled water (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/366479-bottled-water.html)

traveltime July 25th, 2009 05:48 PM

Bottled water

Does Royal Caribbean allow you to take bottled water on during embarkation? For medical reasons, I'm supposed to drink at least 64 oz. of water a day, and about the only way I can do that is by drinking a certain brand of bottled water.
Thanks for any information.

Trip July 25th, 2009 10:38 PM

You can bring water...they charge like $3.00 a bottle onboad....

traveltime July 27th, 2009 03:55 PM

Thanks so much for the advice. I'll go ahead & contact Royal Caribbean and get a doctor's note to carry with me. Might help to avoid problems at embarkation if someone did object. I appreciate your help very much. :D

misguidedangel July 27th, 2009 08:47 PM

I am curious, why would you not think the water on the ship is not palatable. It is probably better than the bottled brand, which is filtered tap water. You can buy a 1L bottle of water and keep refilling it, better yet, spend $10-20 on a wide mouth steel canteen an fill it up.

It s hot in the Caribbean, so drinking water is a must anyhow....

Triton August 2nd, 2009 12:53 PM

traveltime:

Trip is absolutely correct; you can and are allowed to bring bottled water on board during embarkation. Not only, but you can bring it on board at each port.

traveltime August 2nd, 2009 05:42 PM

Thanks so much for the input. I did put a request in for an "official" answer with RCCL, and, I'm going to go ahead and have my doc write a note for me to carry in my wallet.

misguidedangel - The reason for wanting to take water onboard is because I can't usually tolerate tap water - or a lot of bottled water. I drink Dasani & few other brands. Yup, I'm one of the folks that could honestly do a blindfold test and tell you if I was drinking Dasani or another brand of bottled water. Trust me, I've proven the point to my husband. :wink: When you "must" drink a certain amount of water daily because of medical reasons, there's no getting around it. If it's water that I don't care for, then drinking a large amount becomes like taking some nasty-tasting medicine, etc. Been in the Caribbean many times and I agree, it's hot :D so I drink extra water while there. Anyhoo.....on all past cruises, I've paid for and drank the bottled water on the ship. But, believe me, it's just unpleasant at times. Nothing enough to spoil a cruise, etc., but if I'm "allowed" to take my preferred water, then I will. (Unless of course, RCCL now sells Dasani - that would save me some hassel. LOL!)

rosetattoo August 3rd, 2009 10:50 AM

I've seen cruisers carrying on cases of water..one gentleman had three cases strapped to one of those folding luggage carriers...he breezed right thru Security.

LisaK August 6th, 2009 02:01 PM

traveltime - a couple of suggestions, bring aboard a few bottles of your favorite water, try the water from the tap, fill up an empty and put it either in your staterooms fridge or on ice, if that water doesn't do it for you then pick up your water while in port, it will be much cheaper than buying it from the cruiseline which is usually an unknown brand anyway

traveltime August 7th, 2009 07:47 AM

Thanks to each of you for your help! I sure appreciate it.
LisaK, Now, THAT sounds like a plan! I think I'll just pack 2 6 packs of water and then buy the rest in port. Easier than trying to get to a grocery in San Juan before embarkation. :wink:

rosetattoo August 7th, 2009 06:10 PM

There is a small store in the San Juan terminal that sells bottled water. Last time I cruised, I was traveling with a person who required a wheelchair and since she has been to San Juan numerous times, did not want to get off the ship and we needed water so I got off the ship, bought some bottled water in the little store and was back on board in minutes, you don't even have to go thru Security, the store is right in the terminal.

I pack one 2 liter bottle of water and purchase bottled water in Nassau, St. Thomas, St. Maarten, etc., no problem replenishing your water supply in the ports of call. I always look on the label to see where it is bottled.

traveltime August 11th, 2009 10:41 AM

Thanks so much for the great information! I've been to San Juan twice, but didn't remember the store, so I'm glad you pointed that out!

VegasCrossfire September 20th, 2009 02:55 PM

I am curious to know if anyone has taken water with them on RCCL during the last month or so.

We wanted to take bottled water, and I could not find anything in the FAQ's for RCCL about water or soda so I called RCCL directly. They told me that neither soda nor water are allowed to be brought on board!! I also emailed RCCL because I wanted to have the answer in writing. They have never responded to me.

So I still have the question.....has anyone actually taken several bottles of water or soda on board lately (not counting smuggling). ?? I don't really know if the person I spoke to really knew what she was talking about, or just answered NO!!

I plan to at least take one bottle on board and fill it with the tap water, but it would be nice to be able to take 5-6 bottles with us and not have to worry about them taking them from us.