CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Ask CruiseMates Staff (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/)
-   -   crossword puzzle (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/382706-crossword-puzzle.html)

chipmeister May 25th, 2011 10:09 PM

crossword puzzle

anyone have all the answers for the cruisemates puzzle. Got most of them but I'm missing a few and am totally stumped.

Paul Motter May 26th, 2011 03:32 PM

I am pretty sure I have them someplace (I made the puzzle)...

post the clues and I will give you a hint.

chipmeister May 27th, 2011 01:59 AM

Hi Paul,

Well, I don't want to appear too dumb but, for simplicity sake, let's try it this way:

8 across
45 across
5 down
33 down

Some of these seem to me that they 'should' be easy and I know I'll want to kick myself when I see what they are. Thanks.

Paul Motter May 27th, 2011 12:39 PM

Sorry - but I don't have the puzzle anymore. You have to give me the actual clue (or give me a link to the puzzle).

All I have is the grid, not the clues.

chipmeister May 30th, 2011 10:16 PM

OK Paul,

here are the clues (with letters I have, if they are correct)

affinity Sailing ---m--r-i--
ship cafeteria ---o----e-
clears the tables ---b--
move the ship --p----i-n

hopefully my letters don't screw things up too bad. Thanks for the info.

Paul Motter May 31st, 2011 01:26 AM

affinity Sailing ---m--r-i--

Hint: two words, rhymes with "team booze"

ship cafeteria ---o----e-
A common two-word phrase for the top deck restaurant, second word roughly rhymes with "toupee"

clears the tables ---b--

Person who assists the waiter

move the ship --p----i-n

To relocate the ship from one cruising area to another.

chipmeister June 3rd, 2011 01:24 PM

Thank Paul. Well, right off the bat I had to give myself a big DUH! for 3 of them that all of a sudden became obvious, as I thought would happen. But I still got stuck on one (rhymes with toupee). I chewed on it for a few days while in the middle of recurrent crew training. Then it popped in to my head today...if I have it right. Lido Buffet? To be honest, I had never heard that term. I'd heard the exact names the lines give to theirs but for some reason, I'd never heard that generic term (if that is correct). Anyway, thanks again for the help.

Paul Motter June 4th, 2011 06:34 AM

I have been traveling - in Victoria to see Radiance in Dry Dock. You are correct.

That thing about generic terms - well, I guess that is bound to happen. That's part of doing crosswords, I can do some by certain people because I know their style, but other people are hard for me. Some terms you just learn by doing their puzzles.

Fern June 4th, 2011 08:31 PM

Paul, I SO agree with you! The cw puzzles in our paper are written by a few people. I often check to see who made the puzzle so I can try to "get into their head :)!".

Today I had a bit of trouble with "A shout in a church". Turned out to be "Bingo" :D!

I can do the Monday NY Times puzzle and part of the Tuesday puzzle, but beyond that... . (I don't use a cw puzzle dictionary or maybe I'd do better :)).