Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 7th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Familiar Face

Wink Eastern Med. cruise

In the shore excursion reviews, several places mention buying drinks or food from a local vendor. Do you recomment having Euros in advance of the cruise?

In your opinion, is it possible that our ports in Greece might be redesignated?
Sponsored Links
Old July 7th, 2011, 03:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I did buy some euros before we left home. The only place I could get them was at AAA Travel, because my bank does not have that option,and you need to bank at a bank that sells them to buy them..Stupid rule I think. I was told not to get them in the airports..There are atm machines all over.

I paid $100.00 and got $61.00 in euros. I purchased more and got $63.00.

Depending... if there are demonstrations that would be a safety concern, you may not port. Follow the news closely, and see if your ship diverts, right before your cruise..It's probably on a day to day basis I would think though.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 7th, 2011, 07:12 PM
Admiral

No problem getting Euros when you land in Europe; just use ATM at airport.

No problem with Greece; fantastic country with some fantastic islands. ENJOY!

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old July 8th, 2011, 07:55 AM
Captain

If you can get your Euros before you depart it would be a good idea, not sure about Stateside banks, but for Europeans we will often find that our cards are blocked to avoid theft/fraud unless we advise the card issuer in advance.

If you can't get any before you fly, then still try the EU banks, you will always get your card back, or as a last resort (as their rates are usually bad) buy them on the ship, or their onboard ATM.

As for security, I wouldn't expect any issues, I don't believe any ships have been diverted yet, and the situation is highly unlikely to get any worse (imho).

One word on food & drink is to avoid salad & even ice cubes in eastern Med ports, as they are more likely to contain bacteria which could cause upset stomaches & spoil your experience.

Well on that depressing note, I'll still wish you a lovely vacation,

Alan.

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+1), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura, Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(5), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam