Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 5th, 2001, 02:00 PM
poocher

Default Sharks

Well the recent spate of fatal shark attacks in VA and NC have me REALLY worried about snorkeling in Bermuda. Hubby says "None of us go in the water!!" But I was kind of looking forward to it. Don't want any of us to be shark food though. Is there and alternative to seeing the wrecks, reefs and sea life in Bermuda?

Pooch ther reluctant but going anyway cruiser
Sponsored Links
Old September 9th, 2001, 03:05 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Sharks

Pooch ...

If you read the news stories, all the shark attacks seem to have been taking place at dusk.

Get out of the water before cocktail hour !!!

Now, this may be really gross, but girls and women who are menstruating have been cautioned not to dive. I don't know if it is a reasonable precaution or not, but I've heard it a bunch of times.

Maybe some of our seasoned divers can pick this one up ???

pamda -- CM First-Time Cruisers Editor
Old September 9th, 2001, 11:38 PM
Admiral

pamda,

Now, this may be really gross, but girls and women who are menstruating have been cautioned not to dive. I don't know if it is a reasonable precaution or not, but I've heard it a bunch of times.

Such a precaution does make a lot of sense since blood attracts hungry sharks.

Hmmm... wonder if that was a factor in the case of the engaged couple whom sharks attacked in North Carolina? For those who have not heard, it was very tragic -- he is dead and she is missing a foot.

Norm.
Old September 9th, 2001, 11:39 PM
Admiral

Poocher,

I would not be so concerned. None of the attacks have happened in or near Bermuda.

Norm.
Old September 10th, 2001, 04:26 PM
Admiral

Poocher, the only alternative to my knowledge would be a glass bottom boat tour.
Good luck, Makes you stop and think especially with sightings and attacks being noted in the Bahamas' and Puerto Rico. Maybe they will be gone when you sail.
Bon Voyage
Old September 11th, 2001, 02:50 PM
Admiral

I contacted the O'Conner family who run Jessie James Snorkel
tours in Hamilton. Jill OConner tells me that in 11 years they have never seen a shark in the water during one of their tours.
She did indicate that a single shark was reported spotted in the Elbow Beach area , but, it is believed that this was a harmless
nurse shark.
I would not hesitateto go into the water and snorkel in Bermuda.
Old October 1st, 2001, 10:46 PM
Admiral

There is no proven correlation between menses and shark attacks. However, there might still be another reason to use caution. This from Eugene H. Kaplan's Coral Reefs (a Peterson field guide): "Studies have shown multi-colored bathing suits to be attractive to sharks, especially if one of the colors is international orange (renamed by the experimenters yum yum yellow). A contrast in skin color, as when one is tanned unevenly, may also act as an attractant to sharks."
Old November 8th, 2001, 05:55 PM
MaryEllen

One of the most rational reasons given for the high amount of shark attacks this year stated that with all the new "feed the sharks" adventure tours which proliferated in the Bahamas, Florida, etc., the sharks lost any fear of humans and, worse, came to associate humans with food. In areas where there were no shark feeding tours the amount of shark attacks didn't go up at all. This evidence made sense to the Florida powers-that-be and they've recently closed some of these tour company feeding programs.

Maybe it was a shark version of "trick or treat"--

oofdah