Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 17th, 2001, 05:05 PM
lho

Default what to do in st croix?

What is there to do in St Croix? Will be there in feb for about 8 hours??

thanks
Sponsored Links
Old December 17th, 2001, 06:04 PM
cricket55

Default Re: what to do in st croix?

We went to St Croix on our cruise in 1999. There is a small beach right near where the ship docks and a small outdoor market area but you are best to take a taxi to the other side of the island (Christiansted I seem to recall was the name of the town) where there is good shopping and it is very picturesque. You can take a ferry to Buck Island, which is beautiful and has nice beaches. It takes about 1/2 hour to taxi to the other side of the island but worth it. The taxi drivers are not as friendly as some of the other islands and really try to pack you in the taxis, since they charge you per person, but there are lots of taxis available for the return trip so that is not a worry.
>
Old January 4th, 2002, 10:17 PM
First Mate

I was just in St Croix 12/21/01-12/24/01, although it was not one of my ports. I was on Celebrity Galaxy 12/14-12/21 (out of San Juan), and after the cruise went to St Croix for three nights.

My personal favorite: Buck Island. If you want a more personalized tour out there, don't book a shore excursion - do it on your own. We saw some "catamarans" (that got out there with outboard motors) holding at least 50 people.

Here's my suggestion:
Take a cab from the port (Fredricksted) to Christiansted (I believe it is just under 20 miles).
In advance, book your own Buck Island tour.
We used Captain Francis of www.buckisland-diva.com
He uses his sailboat (and SAILS, not motors) to take no more than 6 (not 60) passengers to Buck Island. You can charter for the day, and he customizes to what the group on board wants. More snorkeling time? More beach time? Another place to snorkel in on the other side of the island? He also acted as a snorkel guide, taking us places off the underwater trail so he could point things out to us. (Can't see a guide taking 50+ people!!)

We booked several months in advance since we knew we would be there around Christmas.
His rates were:
9A-2P $60 per person
2P-6P $50 per person
If you have a cruise that the times don't work for you, you can charter for the day. He sails out of Green Cay just east of Christiansted about 5 miles.

St Croix was well worth it. Other thoughts I have about St Croix: The shops in Christiansted don't open up until 9 or 10 and close by 5ish. St Croix is a community, not a 24 hour WalMart like I have down the street.

St Croix gave us the relaxation we were desiring on our extended vacation. We spent time snorkeling at Buck Island, looking through the unique shops in Christiansted, touring the fort, enjoying meals overlooking the harbor, observing a lighted Christmas boat parade, napping on the beach, and a lot of good ol' hometown hospitality of the residents there.

I'm 27 and was happy there. It had a wide variety of things to do no matter what mood you are in - restful mood, party mood, beach mood, fine dining mood, etc.

One of the neatest things to me was walking into a jewelry shop in Christiansted and purchasing jewelry... directly from the person who designed it! Bought a nice "Hurricane George" bracelet from one little shop and some elegant earrings from another little shop (and the only girl working in there was the designer!). Didn't go in Colombian Emeralds or Diamonds International since those were at all of our other ports and were promoted hourly on the ship. Did not go to Fredricksted. Hope this helps by giving one person's opinion of St Croix.

Of our 7 night cruise (Southern) plus the three nights in St Croix - this was our favorite beach (Buck Island).

-Mandy in Dallas
Old January 24th, 2002, 08:07 AM
Marnie

I just got back from an Eastern Carib. Carnival cruise with ports in San Juan (evening only), St. Croix and St. Thomas. St. Croix was my favorite. We rented mopeds (scooters). It was wonderful. At 1st I was worried about the safety and breaking down. The bikes were new and the other drivers were very courteous (unlike St. Thomas and San Juan). We rode for about 4 hours, just took a map and went. We didn't venture too far from Fredericksted because we didn't want to get lost and there was plenty to see. What a beautiful island. We drove through the rainforest, to Sprat Hall, to the Botanical Gardens, went to a bar in the rainforest where you can feed the pigs beer (N/A of course). If we had done some planning, we could have done a lot more including touring the Whim Greathouse and going to the beach. But we got off the ship too late.

For $55/person if you want your own scooter or $75 for 2 people to share one. We shared scooters and it was perfect. The pedal through paradise excursion offered by Carnival was $51/person for only 2 hours. So this was a good deal.

If you're on Carnival, there's a chance you'll be there on a Wednesday and they'd keep you there until midnight. If so, the Harbor Nights festival will be going on. Lots of booths with handicrafts, food, live bands, dancers in the streets, people in costumes. No need to shop in Christiansted if you can go to Harbor Nights.