Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 6th, 2002, 12:15 PM
Admiral

Default EL Yunque tour?

I will be on the April 20th sailing of the Explorer and am thinking about taking this tour with our boys ages 5 and 3. For anyone who has gone on this tour before, can you give me a good description of it? Is it mostly informational or do you get to explore on your own a bit? What type of bus? Does the tour appear child friendly? or too stale and boring to hold the interest of young children.

After a couple regrettable "tour" decisions we normally go our own way while in port instead of being stuck listening to someone go on and on and on and on.......... I know that El Yunque is a bit away from the port, so it doesn't make sense to take a taxi on our own. Is the rainforrest a can't miss experience? What else is there to do in San Juan during the day that we could do a taxi ride to? Any nice beaches? We've explored the town the last 2 times we want to do something different. How is visiting the old fort?

Cindy
Sponsored Links
Old February 6th, 2002, 07:00 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Mark Send a message via Yahoo to Mark
Default Re: EL Yunque tour?

cindy, I can tell u from experience that bus tour fr ship is way to go,difficult to travel around on your own, far from ship to drive too, directions difficult ship excursion is best way. any other questions u can email me at wildjordy@aol.com
Old February 6th, 2002, 07:17 PM
Gert

El Yunque tour was wonderful & an excellent way to "continue" the
cruise experience. Kind of a nice bridge between the end of a dream and waking up to reality. However, it entails lots of walking & slight climbing so I don't know how your little ones will do Do they tire easy. I don't think a stroller will cut it. The rainforest is an enchanting place but only you know how the boys will do hiking.
Old February 7th, 2002, 12:43 PM
FrankM

Cindy,

I took the ships tour to El Yunque rain forest while awaiting my flight vback to the states after disembarking the ship. El Yunque is about 30 or 40 miles east of San Juan and is best reached by a tour or hired taxie. My tour was on a small bus. We stopped enroot for a potty stop and souvenir purchases, then proceeded to the rain forest.

Once there we drove up to the top were we were allowed to disembark to take a walking path through the rain forest (downhill) to the awaiting bus, if we so desired. The distance may have been 1/8 to 1/4 mile and it was fabulous. It was not strenous or difficult and the flowers and vegitation were beautiful. This was in 1999 about one year after a hurricane hit Puerto Rico and the tops of the rain forest trees had been clipped off. With the treetops gone there was a great deal of light reaching the ground which encouraged a flush of flower growth. It was terrific. The bus then stopped at two or three places along the road to allow us to climb a stone observation tower, look at a waterfall and see a pond with small water falls. The tour then took us to a shopping center on the road back for us to eat at a couple of fast-food restaurants. We were then taken to the airport in time for our flight home. This was a terrific tour and it only took a half day. I want to visit the rain forest again to see it's re-growth now. And, since El Yunque is a rain forest, it rained on us a short while while we were at th e tower. El Yunque is a U.S. National Park. Souvenirs can be purchased at the observation tower.Don't miss this tour.
Old February 7th, 2002, 01:09 PM
browezilla

The forts El Morro and St. Christobel are excellent choices if you don't want to venture too far from the dock area. They are some of the best preserved forts I've been to.
Old February 7th, 2002, 08:00 PM
First Mate

Thank you Frank, this sounds like a wonderful tour and your description was great. I don't want to miss the experience and will DEFINATELY be booking it on our trip. Our boys will love the walk through the woods and seeing the waterfalls. It sounds amazing. Thanks again!