Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 5th, 2002, 01:37 PM
Amabelle

Default Shore excursions in Western Caribbean

Hi, everyone

Can anyone recommend shore excursions in Ocho Rios Jamaica, Georgetown Grand Cayman, and Cozumel Mexico? I was told that buying and taking the shore excursions recommended by Royal Caribbean is too expensive and not that great. Who and where would I find these people who give shore excursions to these places?

Please advise. We're going on Sept.8.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old March 5th, 2002, 02:09 PM
CHARLENE HEMPLER

Default Re: Shore excursions in Western Caribbean

Check out these posts and do some more research and you will find out all sorts of fun.....
Old March 6th, 2002, 07:34 PM
kym

Last year we did a wonderful Kayak trip through Carnival excursions. They picked us up at the dock, took us to a private home, then, we kayaked to Dunns River Falls. It was fabulous. We hit the Falls after all of the cattle boats pulled out. The beach was empty except for us. Highly recommend. Search the web. I bet you'll find it... if kayaking is your thing. It was very easy. Not rough at all. In Cozumel, we took a 1/2 day snorkle tour which was actually better and a lot less crowded that the other full day boats were passed. For this years trip, I am doing all of my excursions privately. Less crowded and less expensive. We were actually able to charter a private catameran, snorkle, kayak trip out of key west for the same price as the group rate ship excursion. Use the web. It's great! Good luck and happy sailing. Oh, Grand Cayman... we simply snorkeled through A-banks (the one from the movie about the lawyer with Tom Cruise and Gene Hackman- I forgot the title). Good snorkeling very close to the pier.
Old March 9th, 2002, 12:12 AM
Passenger

Stingray City in Grand Cayman is a must and I highly recommend Captain Marvins half day trip. We only had 12 people on our boat (compared to 40-50 with the ships version). Capt Marvin's took us to Coral Gardens & the reef for snorkeling (a lot of marine life, bring a disposible underwater camera the water is incredibly clear and we got some great pictures) and then on to Stingray City where we walked among the rays, feed them and got to hold them. Worth every penny of the $39. You can contact them at www.captainmarvins.com. I think awesome is an overused word these days but it is the only word I can think of that truly describes the experience. Have fun.
Old March 12th, 2002, 06:05 AM
Karen Fedorko

I would recommend Shoreexcursions.com as the groups are
small and the service is great. You can book on the
internet and the prices are much less than the cruise lines.
Good Luck and have a nice trip.
Old March 13th, 2002, 07:17 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Shore excursions in Western Caribbean

I understand the private excursions mentioned above are much better and cheaper than the ship tours. One bit of advice is be sure you will be back in time, because if you are not on a ship tour, the ship won't wait for you!
Old March 14th, 2002, 08:53 PM
Tianna

Hi
You can get your shore excursion arranged once you get to the island, there are independent taxi operators right on the ship pier.
Old March 27th, 2002, 10:09 PM
alice

Sting ray city is a good excursion.