Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 1st, 2003, 12:32 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to SRobinM
Default Getting to San Pedro? (from Belize City)

Hi all,

In September we're going to on RCI's Enchantment of the Seas to Key West, Conzumel and Belize. I'm a frantic travel planner and anytime I go anywhere I generally have to plan what I'm going to do before I go. So I am in the process of planning our shore excursions. I want to get the MOST bang for my buck. One of my friends is an experienced cruiser and she scoffed that I was considering paying $65 to ride a speed boat from Belize City to San Pedro. She said there had to be a cheaper way. The only perk of the trip is a free cocktail. I don't need the free cocktail and I generally hate being shuttled around like a tourist which is why I'm trying to plan my own shore excursions. So I've checked the charter flights and it's $52 a person to fly from Belize City to San Pedro and it only takes 15 minutes (already saving $13 and half an hour plus we can stay as long as we want instead of being restricted to the cruise schedule). After the cab ride to the airport we may break evan. Plus I hate small planes so, I was hoping we could find a Water Taxi or Ferry. Does anyone know of somewhere I can find the info. I checked www.travelbelize.org and it mentions that such a thing exists but I can't seem to find the info. And has anyone ever gone to San Pedro?

Thanks!
Stephanie
Sponsored Links
Old June 1st, 2003, 03:43 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Getting to San Pedro? (from Belize City)

Stephanie,
Last year I did some research on Belize and Ambergris Cay since we were going there on a cruise. I found a website with the water taxi schedule and prices from Belize City to San Pedro and back. The website is www.gocayecaulker.com you have to scroll down to find the info you need. It looks like $22.50 US for round trip. There is also a schedule to tell how often the taxis leave. The only thing it doesn't say is how long the taxi ride is up and back. We didn't end up using this system only because we wanted to snorkel at shark ray alley and the ship charged $82 with lunch included and by the time we paid 22.50 for a water taxi and the fee to snorkel at shark ray alley and the time it would take to tender to Belize City and then the water taxi to Ambergris Cay and vice versa plus buy our own lunch, the ship excursion, though a little more expensive, probably saved us time and not missing the ship. It was kind of stormy on the way back to the ship and if it had been too bad and we couldn't make it, NCL would have maybe made other arrangements for us. We decided this time to pay the extra. You might be able to email them and ask how long the water taxi ride is up and back. If you just want to go to San Pedro for the beach and shopping then this might be the way to go. San Pedro was very cute and the place we ate was great. Fido's (Feed-Doz) they are right on the beach with beach activities to rent right there. Hope this information helps.

Luanne

Post Edited (06-01-03 15:46)
Old June 1st, 2003, 04:16 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to SRobinM

Luanne,
This was exactly what I have been searching for! Thank you so much!
~Stephanie
Old June 1st, 2003, 04:38 PM
Yeoman

Stephanie,
Glad I could help. If I remember from an earlier message, this is your first cruise? Be careful, it gets contageous and one cruise and you could be hooked for life!!!!!!!!!!!!

Luanne

Old June 3rd, 2003, 10:03 AM
Rick Williams

Default Re: Re: Getting to San Pedro? (from Belize City)

Hi,
Anybody out there have recommendations on what to do in Belize. My wife and I are going the last week in June for the first time and I am having a hard time finding much information or feedback about Belize excursions. Anybody visit the Tulum ruins, Shark Ray Alley or do the tubing excursion through the underground river system? Any feedback is appreciated.

THANKS,
Rick
Old June 4th, 2003, 09:08 AM
Yeoman

Rick,
We did the shark ray alley and had a great time. I've actually heard good about all of these. Everyone raved about the cave tubing and a lot of people enjoyed the ruins. It rained while we were in Belize and those in the ruins got a little wet, but the rest of us were already wet

Luanne

Old June 5th, 2003, 12:30 AM
Marvin

The Cave tubing excursion is definately one of the most fun and safe adventure tour and it is only $65.00 compared to the ships price of $89.00.
Old June 30th, 2003, 08:19 PM
SnowWhiteNYC

We took the water taxi last August to San Pedro...it took just over an hour each way. It was the high light of our cruise. Only two other families from the ship did it... It was just awesome.....