Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 8th, 2003, 11:14 PM
Jeannie B

Default lots of starving dogs

Just got home from Panama, Costa Rica, Honduras, Grand Cayman, and Cozemel....and now we really can appreciate what we have...we had a great time aboard the Horizon, even though it rained in most of the ports, but the poverty and starving dogs throughout these countries made us so very upset....Honduras was the worst, but the others weren't far behind and although it was nice to be able to see different countries, these poor animals, which aren't treated any better than a piece of garbage to the local residents, were very disturbing to us. If you are going to these ports, I hope that you notice this problem...I am going to try to see if there is any Humane Society over there that can help with this problem....It is horrible...

Jeannie
Sponsored Links
Old December 9th, 2003, 10:09 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique
Default Re: lots of starving dogs

Jeannie: This has long been a concern of mine as well. I really don't know if there is anything we can do about the situation, and being helpless to do anything makes it even worse.

I too have seen the dogs and cats roaming around - seems cruel to ignore it, yet frustrating not being to fix it. Not sure there are any answers. There might be some Humane Societies in these places but sometimes it looks as if they have enough problems trying to feed and clothe their people, let alone worry about their animals.

My husband used to tell me - "You can't be the Den Mother for the whole world"....yet, as caring humans, it hurts us to see this.

I once met a woman on a cruise who saved food from the ship and took bags of food to stray animals. She said she knew it wouldn't solve the problem in the long term, but it made her feel better to do something.

This situation has been around a lot longer than we have and will be the same long after we are gone. Don't mean to sound blase, but I'm stumped as to what the answers are.
Old December 9th, 2003, 11:55 AM
Cruise Maniac

Jeannie - if you were to place yourself in the same conditions with the same income, housing and other living conditions, and you had to make the choice between feeding you and your family or feeding the dog or cat, which would you choose? I agree, seeing a starving dog is bad. Seeing a starving human is worse.
Old December 10th, 2003, 12:05 AM
Jeannie B

Default Re: Re: lots of starving dogs

In reply to the nice animal people that responded to my concern over the starving dogs that we saw.. ...we asked some of the locals about these dogs and they told us that they were just wild dogs that had no home...in other words, strays....we saw some of the locals hitting them and in the case of one dog that we were giving crackers to, kicking him, until we yelled at her to stop it...

Just because someone is poor, doesn't give them the right to be cruel to another of God's creatures....and I am looking into trying to help in this problem...I can't just pretend that nothing can be done...there are lots of animal agencies out there and I am going to try to find one to help...if I can...I have to try...I wouldn't feel right if I didn't. I can't get their faces out of my mind...

Jeannie
Old December 10th, 2003, 09:48 AM
Cruise Maniac

First off, I love my dog a lot. But I hate to break this to you, but in a country with a bunch of wild dogs, the only thing an animal agency could do is euthanize the dogs - I doubt there are many wanting to adopt them.
Old December 10th, 2003, 08:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

neutering would be a place to start....
Old December 11th, 2003, 12:32 AM
Jeannie B

putting them to sleep would be a lot less painful than what they are going through now...
Old December 11th, 2003, 05:14 PM
Yeoman

There were many stray dogs on a greek island I visited. They thought my full length mink coat was dinner, and were jumping up and down on me. Being a world traveler this is a big problem, especially in impoverished countries!
Old December 15th, 2003, 08:23 PM
Admiral

I have a friend that goes with her husband to Mexico and they do capture some of the strays and take them to vets who then spay or neuter them for free before they are placed back on the streets. They call them dump dogs, and that is all they can do to try to help the situation. It is sad to see the animals in such condition and even sadder to think that people are living in such need.

Phyll

Old February 21st, 2004, 08:54 PM
Passenger

I'm suppose to go to Panama and Costa Rica in april. God, I hope I don't see any of these dogs, it will truely break my heart. I saw one in the Bahamas and I cried all day on the ship thinking about him. One I saw in Cozmel and I was gathering everyones left overs at the restaurant we were at & fed him. By boyfriend bought bottled water for him. I wish there was something I could do also. It's nice to know that other people care as much as I do.
Old February 21st, 2004, 10:16 PM
victory cruiser

wow this is so sad... My two boys love animals dearly... How often will we see this sort of thing in cozumel?
After what I just read, I have to go give my dog some treats...My dog is my baby... so sad!
Old February 21st, 2004, 10:33 PM
Parrot Mom

Many street dogsfrom Puerto Rico are being brought to the U.S. for adoption. I agree we cannot save all the animals. I used to bring dog bones, but they don't know what they are. When I see parrot kept in filthy or small cages my heart breaks for these intelligent animals..and if they die...well, they are replaced. I've tried talking one owner that the rusty cage was too small for his bird and he said "the bird was too big" (barely a bottom to the cage and no dishes for even water).. What I have done is bring "bird magazines" with me and if I know I'm going to somewhere that there maybe a bird show or "zoo", I bring them to the caretakers and hopefully somebody can read english ..There is enough problems with these people feeding their families and they can't worry about dogs sadly enough and neuturing would help...but where is the $$ for it coming from. Grand Caymans is certainly not a third world country and these people should know better.. So bring scraps of food from the ships... and just be careful that these wild dogs aren't diseased..