Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 23rd, 2004, 12:42 PM
Jecca

Default Shopping in Cozumel

Hi! I'm going on my first cruise this Saturday, 2/28. I want to go shopping in Cozumel... From the posts I've read, there are lots of taxis at the pier. So once I get one, just where do I tell them to go? Is there a specific market, town center, something I need to say to the driver? Then, when I'm ready to head back, are the taxis at the market easily available as well? Don't want to get stranded in Mexico!! hehe. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jecca
Sponsored Links
Old February 23rd, 2004, 12:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Shopping in Cozumel

I was dropped off at the shopping area by boat after taking the Tulum tour so I am sure someone else can tell you what to tell the driver.

The taxi ride back to the ship was about $5 and took less than 10 minutes and there are plenty of taxis available.

Looking forward to my next cruise.... 6/2005
Old February 23rd, 2004, 01:06 PM
mrsox

Default Re: Re: Shopping in Cozumel

I'll be there next week on NCL Wind...our first cruise also! Soooo excited! We may rent a car or scooter and travel around on our own...looks like there is 1 major road around the island and everything is easily accessed. www.cozumelinsider has a map and good ideas. Have a blast!!! -Angie
Old February 23rd, 2004, 01:12 PM
First Mate

Depends which port your ship docks at. When we were there, the Paradise docked right at main pier and you just walk off the ship and you're on the main shopping street (it's one long straight street). other ships were docked farther away - you'd have to take a cab. I think if you tell the driver to take you to the San Miguel pier (not sure about the name, but if you ask for Carlos & Charlies, it is right at the one end of the shopping district, so you could start from there. If you're looking for jewellry, be prepared, almost every store offered me a free tequilla shooter while I was shopping. since i hate tequilla, i let my friend drink the shooters and i just bought tanzanite jewellry. great place to buy tshirts, and other souvenirs.
Old February 23rd, 2004, 01:21 PM
Parrot Mom

There is a shop called Cinco de Soles.. one of the finest shops we have seen..it's along the Malecon... THEY (the shopkeepers) are waiting for you..go one block up and there are shops. The only time we rented a jeep we went around the island, found a lovely beach where the crews from the ships went and heading back found a little shop selling blankets, etc. Just be aware that there is only one place or was to get gas.
Old February 23rd, 2004, 01:30 PM
hcat

Get info from your cruise lilne--the shop people stand outside & try to get you in--can be aggressive--But I got such beautiful turquoise at a ship rec. store (can't recall the name--sorry)--it had the right silver stamps as being good quality & I love wearing it.
Old February 23rd, 2004, 02:07 PM
Jecca

Default Re: Re: Shopping in Cozumel

Thanks for your help! Boy, that was speedy! I'm not sure which pier we dock at. I'm on Carnival's Celebration. I'm not an alcohol drinker, so I'll have to pass on the tequila shooters as well! Can you recommend any good restaurants I shouldn't miss while I'm there?

Jecca
Celebration 2/28
Old February 24th, 2004, 11:59 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Shopping in Cozumel

Jecca -
The advice about Los Cinco Soles was good...if the taxi takes you there, you're at the farthest shop on the waterfront and then you can spend the day shopping along the waterfront and as you walk you're getting closer back to the ship. There is a really good restaurant in the back of Los Cinco Soles called Pancho's Backyard. And when you're ready to head back to the ship, there will be taxis everywhere - just tell the taxi driver the name of your ship.

Have a great time!