Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 27th, 2004, 09:00 AM
LHP

Default La Romana

This is the only port on the Eastern Carb cruise we have not been to before. Any suggestions for a family of four who usually don't take the Cruise Ship excursions?

Carnival doesn't provide the free shuttle to Alta De Chavon (sp?) like some other cruise lines do, do they? If not, would you recommend grabbing a taxi to look around on our own?

Thanks for all suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Old February 27th, 2004, 02:13 PM
Parrot Mom

Default Re: La Romana

'THEY" tell me that there are inexpensive cabs in La Romana..."THEY' say it's the men in green shirts.Otherwise, the cab drivers in the D.R. are absolute bandits.. ne of the things you can do is buy tickets maybe through the ship for Kandella, a spanish musical review held in Altos de Chavon...a very famous stone ampithitheatre.. Some of the ships are offering time at one of the beaches, Casa del Mar...take it.. gorgeous clean white sandy beach and warm turquoise water.. Altos de Chavon it's sef is well worth while to go to and wander in and out of the shops.. We have just come back from a week in La romana.. If you get a chance to go to town in Jumby's a supermarket buy th Santo Dominican coffee (ground or beans)..your allowed ten pounds (should be under $1.00 a pound)...great coffee.. and 151 proof Barlo Rum.. If you have any ideas of what the ship is offering let me know. this is one place you do't want to rent a car...trust me on this.. and you can write and ask why
Old February 27th, 2004, 05:06 PM
LHP

Default Re: La Romana

Thanks! We usually do not rent a car...but will grab a cab. We have gotten so spoiled by Cozumel that we hate going to other ports. After all, a vacation is a place to relax...not worry about getting ripped off, robbed or worse. To me Cozumel has just the right mixture of fun and safety. I love Grand Cayman for its beauty (and Kirk's)...but it is boring otherwise. I did not know if LoRamana was as bad as Jamaica or not. Jamaica is the only port we take shore excursions only. (since we have two kids)

We will probably do Altos De Chavon first and then hit a beach if there is time.

Thanks again!!