Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 16th, 2004, 03:47 PM
Yeoman

Default Roatan Island, what to do . . .

I am looking at cruising on the Carnival Valor, western itinery. which stops at Roatan Island. What is there to do there? We love the beach, and like to do things on our own. Do they have cars to rent, or taxi's to just take you to the beach? Anyone been to Parrot Tree Beach, or Tabyana Beach, which is nicer, and how far are they from where the cruiseship docks?

Thanks for your help.

NCL Dawn (Repo 14 nite) 11-1-09
RCCL Mariner of the Sea (Mexican Riviera) 4-18-10
1 FFC--Princess

19 finished cruises to date!
Sponsored Links
Old June 16th, 2004, 04:27 PM
joe k

Default Re: Roatan Island, what to do . . .

Just returned from a cruise which included Roatan. It's a beautiful place with warm and freindly people. Unfortunately, it's only a matter of time until the tourists over run the place. The ships dock in Coxen Hole which is on the Windward side of the island. As you get off the boat, you will be approached by various tour companies offering drivers for about $25 per person for the day. We kept walking out the gate and negotiated with an English speaking driver for $30 total for the day. We ended up giving her $40 because she was a great guide. She gave us a tour of the western half of the island. Took us to a great restaurant in Half Moon Bay where we had 3 enormous lobster tails for $16 each. We ended up at Tabayana Beach for snorkeling for $5. Tabayana Beach is a beautiful white sand beach with a nearby reef for snorkeling right off the beach. The ship was charging $65 each for a bus ride to the same free beach and a hot/hamburger lunch. We had a superior experience for about $70 for the two of us. Enjoy Roatan. I can't wait to go back.
Old June 16th, 2004, 05:40 PM
Mrsox

Definately consider going out on your own away from the masses some...a very user friendly 3rd world country. Warm people and we always felt safe.

Here's what we did during our amazing day in Roatan:

Took a scenic cab ride first to Half Moon Bay for about $20 (30 min drive).
Snorkling here is better than West Bay Beach, but the beach is better at WBB. Our driver dropped us off at a little place right on the water that you can use for free...lounge chairs, a bar, small restaurant, outdoor fresh water shower etc. You can then stroll thru West End Village (you can see the village from Half Moon...1/2 mile walk tops), do some shopping and then take the water taxi (2-3 bucks per person...a 2-3 mile ride) at the end of town to WBB for lunch and beach time. You can rent chairs etc from a # of the beach clubs (Fosters etc) at WBB or just set up on your own stuff. This is the same beach that the Tabyana excursion is on. There are vendors set up along the beach that you could do shopping from, as well as carts that go by selling drinks and ice creams, kids also stopping to sell shells, jewelry etc. We had lunch at Bite on the Beach (far end of WBB)...yummy lobster, conch chowder etc...reasonable, great service and a beautiful spot overlooking the water. Lunch was about $30 w/4 coronas including tip.

Then, grab a cab back to Coxen Hole when you're ready to return to the ship. This is what we did and it was a near perfect day...felt like we had a real Roatan experience and got to see a lot of the island. It's an amazing place!!!

Check out www.travel-to-honduras.com & www.roatanisland.net

The first web address I gave you is especially good for inspirational photos! : )

Let me know if you have ?'s,

-Angie
Old June 16th, 2004, 10:00 PM
Yeoman

joe and angie--thanks so much for the info. I willbegin to research it, then probably will have some questions!

NCL Dawn (Repo 14 nite) 11-1-09
RCCL Mariner of the Sea (Mexican Riviera) 4-18-10
1 FFC--Princess

19 finished cruises to date!
Old June 17th, 2004, 03:58 PM
ljrfrm

Default Re: Re: Roatan Island, what to do . . .

Roatan is great and everyone gave you great information - I just wanted to add that I totally fell in love with Parrot Tree....it's gorgeous...the beach and also they have this wonderful lagoon there that's just paradise...the thought of spending hours there doing nothing sounds wonderful right about now. You can't go wrong in Roatan - just make sure to leave Coxen Hole and see the island. It's beautiful. Have fun. We'll be there in 13 days and can't wait!
Old June 17th, 2004, 03:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Roatan Island, what to do . . .

This would be a great port to take a discover diving course!
Old June 19th, 2004, 10:46 AM
Admiral

Joe and Angie, I am glad to hear that it is a nice place. We will be there in Jan. and I had not heard much about this port. Prices sound very reasonable. The snorkelling was good at Half Moon Bay?????
Debhomespun- we are on the Valor Jan.23/05. This sounds like a good port doesn't it? Could you reply here( or email me) with any important info you might find out. I, too, will be researching , but not for a while though. Thank-you.
Thanks everyone for the info!

Old June 20th, 2004, 09:27 AM
horsewhisperer55

Hi Debbie

Went to Tabyana .........great beach.....did jet skiing there ..was a blast
How is Tom

Kent