Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 30th, 2004, 05:18 PM
E&M

Default Roatan bay island What to do ?

Hi will be visiting this island on my November cruise what to do on this Island ?
Sponsored Links
Old July 31st, 2004, 09:46 AM
Mrsox

Default Re: Roatan bay island What to do ?

I recommend that you strongly onsider going out on your own, away from the cruise ship masses some to experience a more authentic day in Roatan. This is my FAVORITE island...still relatively untouched by commercialsim, safe, warm and inviting people, relaxed attitudes etc.

Walk out of Coxen Hole a bit (when you get off the ship you'll be bombarded w/people offering cabs, tours etc) and negotiate a cab. ($20-30). Have the driver stop first at Half Moon Bay, snorkling here on the reef is better than West Bay Beach, but the beach is better at West Bay Beach. We stopped at a place that was free to use, stairs into the water, fresh water outdoor shower, a small restaurant etc.

When done you can then stroll thru West End Village (visible from Half Moon Bay), do some shopping and then take the water taxi ($2-3 per person...a 2-3 mile ride) at the end of town to West Bay Beach for lunch and beach time. You can rent chairs etc from a # of the beach clubs (Fosters etc) or just set up on your own stuff. This is the same beach that the ship's Tabyana Beach excursion is on. There are vendors set up along the beach that your wife could do more shopping from, as well as carts that go by selling drinks and ice creams, kids also stopping to sell shells, jewelry etc. We had lunch at Bite on the Beach...yummy lobster, conch chowder etc...reasonable, great service and a beautiful spot overlooking the water. Lunch was about $30 w/4 coronas and tip.

Then, grab a cab back to Coxen Hole when you're ready to return to the ship. Cab back to Coxen Hole was another $20 or $30...about a 1/2 hr ride. This is what we did and it was a near perfect day...felt like we had a real Roatan experience and got to see a lot of the island. It's an amazing place!!!

Check out www.travel-to-honduras.com & www.roatanisland.net

The first web address I gave you is especially good for inspirational photos! : )

Let me know if you have ?'s,
-Angie