Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 6th, 2004, 05:09 PM
Traci

Default Magens Bay and St. Marteen beaches

I was wondering if anyone has been to Magens Bay. I hear its a really nice beach. Does anyone know how far it is from the pier and how much the taxi cost. We will also be making a stop in St. Marteen and would like to know of some good beaches there. Its going to be a family vacation with a 6 and 8 year old and I know they allow nudity on the french side. I just want to make sure that the people that are nude actually stay on there side of the beach. I can just hear my nephew screaming out something lol. Thanks for any help.

Traci
Sponsored Links
Old August 6th, 2004, 06:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Magens Bay and St. Marteen beaches

Hi Traci,
Meagans bay is very nice, not sure ot the cost of a taxi, but its a 20 minute ride depending on traffic. Its a nice family beach. There is a nudist side at Orient beach, but if you stay on the left side, you may only see some topless people, no big deal. WE really enjoyed Orient beach, lots of water activities, restaurants, bars, plenty of lounge chairs and umbrellas.

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 7th, 2004, 07:38 AM
First Mate

This website will help you for visiting Magen's Bay on St Thomas - a beautiful beach.

http://vinow.com/general_usvi/cruiseship/

For St Maarten, we thoroughly enjoyed Maho Beach at the end of the SXM runway. It is the closest place in the world you can get to huge jets taking off and landing. Most come in after noon, so we spent the morning shopping. This beach bar is a good place to be (not some crazy bar for children) and has reasonably priced foods (and shade). It is an open-air bar. If I had children, I would never take them to "a bar" but this really didn't seem bad at all. You guys could sit at the picnic tables while the kiddos played in the sand/water a few steps away. Look at the pictures of the planes landing - it is amazing. The beach is free. You can do taxi to get there (about $15-$20 each way) or the "bus system" which is actually minivans for about $2.50 per person each way (change at one stop). They drop you on the road and you have to walk less than a quarter mile if heading to the beach bar at the other end of the beach.
www.sunsetbeachbar.com
Old August 7th, 2004, 04:26 PM
Joe Reynolds

Default Re: Re: Magens Bay and St. Marteen beaches

Don't know the age of the children, but they would probably love to watch those planes land. I have some pictures at the non-cruise photo gallery. When you get there, just type Joe Reynolds in the search box.
Old August 7th, 2004, 06:53 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Laurie M

Orient Beach is clothing optional so, yes, you will see some nudity at any area of that stretch of beach. That being said however, we were there for about 2 1/2 hours and I only saw a 3 older ladies walking nude when we first got there (and before all the people from the bus desended on the beach). After the beach got a bit more busy, I never saw them again. After that, I would see an occasional topless woman. I never saw a completely nude person walking about after that. (thats not to say they weren't there, but I sure didn't notice them....maybe they walked by when I was in the ocean, or at the restaurant, etc) Out of curiosity, I walked from one end of the beach to the other, and every so often I would see some people nude or topless sitting in their chairs. But no one seemed to be "flaunting" it. I had to really look to see if they were nude or not. ;-)

Now...thats just what I observed. Could be that on another day, or a different time of day, you may see more nudity.

PAST CRUISES
83/Azure Seas; 84/Song of America; 88/Stardancer; 92/Jubilee; 96/Viking Serenade; 97/Holiday; 99/Enchantment OT Seas; 00/Elation; 01,02,02,03/Ecstasy; 02/Voyager OT Seas; 03/Victory; 04/Adventure OT Seas; 05/Sapphire Princess 05,05,05,06,07/Monarch OT Seas; 06,07,08,08/Paradise; 06/Freedom OT Seas; 07 Pride; 07 Pearl; 08/Valor; 08/Serenade OT Seas; 08/Coral Princess
Old August 8th, 2004, 03:10 PM
Beginner

Megans is pretty but gets very crowded. Coki and Sapphire are nice on St. Thomas and have good snorkeling, which your kids may enjoy. Consider going over to St. John for some of the most beautiful beaches in the WORLD. We prefer Cinnamon (fewer people) but many go to Trunk. Both are spectacular. On St. Martin, try Dawn instead of Oreint if the CO aspect bothers you. A few ladies will be topless, but my guess is that if you don't make a big deal out of it the kids won't even notice. Dawn is much smaller than Orient and doesn't have as many activities but it is beautiful and there is a GREAT outdoor restaurant there too. Gene

Grand Princess 02/99
Ocean Princess 04/00
Ocean Princess 04/01
Carnival Pride 06/02
Adventure of the Seas 04/03
Golden Princess 02/04
Star Princess 04/05 !!!!!!!!
Old August 8th, 2004, 10:03 PM
Beginner

How long does it take to get to sunset beach bar, Mahbo beach? That must be really neat to see those huge planes land.
Old August 8th, 2004, 10:53 PM
Traci

Default Re: Re: Magens Bay and St. Marteen beaches

Thanks for everyones help. How far is Maho beach from the pier. That seems like it might be the best bet for the kids. I know they'd love to watch the planes.
Old August 13th, 2004, 08:41 PM
m.lewis

No need to travel to get to a beach in St. Maarten.We were on the S.S. Norway a year and a half ago. We tendered in. When we debarked there was a more than adequate beach with facilities to the left of the pier.
Old August 13th, 2004, 09:58 PM
pg

Go to Coki or Sapphire, Magens was so boring.
Old August 15th, 2004, 12:05 AM
First Mate

We went to Magens Bay 2 years ago. We were on the Destiny. A group of 18 paid 3.00 each for van and 3.00 each to get in to megans bay. They came back and picked us up we stayed about 3 hours at the beach. The drivers stopped for us to take pictures and one stop to buy from a roadside vendor. We went to the store and bought stufff to drink at the beach. You can rent chairs or rafts for the day. The whold day was less than 20.00 per person. They have picnic talbes and also a shower . We went before noon and no crowd at all. Very nice place to go.

Destiny,Rhapsody ,Conquest x2
Old August 16th, 2004, 08:36 AM
Passenger

We loved Magens Bay when we were on a land trip to St. THomas. It was not crowded though, and that would make a big difference for us. Is there anyway we can tell if there will be many cruise ships in port the day we are there? Will we see them all at the same port if there are?

Star Princess

Devra
Old August 16th, 2004, 10:49 PM
pg

Yes you will see the other cruise ships. There was 3 other ships in port the same time as us.