Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 21st, 2004, 07:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Barbados Turtle Encounter

Hi

Has anyone taken the Five Star Catamaran & Turtle Encounter?
Sponsored Links
Old September 22nd, 2004, 09:19 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Barbados Turtle Encounter

My wife and I did it last year on a 10 day Celebrity cruise. Really had a very good Time. The turtles are small and get very close to you. We also stopped and snorkled over a ship wreck. That ended up being just a small barge I think. It was not much of a ship wreck but it did harbor lots of fish.

Buff
Old September 22nd, 2004, 12:13 PM
debp

Default Re: Re: Barbados Turtle Encounter

My family enjoyed this trip. We especially liked the crew who I felt bent over backwards for every guest. We saw about 5 large turtles on our trip and a tarpon who was following one turtle around (very funny). On our trip, the turtles just didn't pass through, but looped around and stayed awhile. I would recommend this excursion.
Old September 22nd, 2004, 12:43 PM
bravado15

Default Re: Barbados Turtle Encounter

To clarify- The Catamaran and Turtle encounter is different than what Buff is describing. He is describing (it sounds to me) the Sea Turtle and Shipwreck encounter. I don't think the Catamaran and Turtle encounter has the Shipwreck part to it.

I did the Sea Turtle and Shipwreck Encounter and it was really great. Turtles, shipwrecks, great crew, rum punches, and a stop at the beach. Excellent.
Old September 22nd, 2004, 06:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Barbados Turtle Encounter

Thanks for the info-
The Five Star is more expensive, has mimosas,continental breakfast and lunch. It is a five hour tour, mentions reef and turtles.
The Sail,Snorkel& beach is four hour for half the expense , it mentions reef, shipwreck, and beach, but no turtles.
Is it worth doing this in Barbados? Are the beaches,coral and fish good?
The alternative is Buck Island on St. Thomas they also mention turtles.
Buck Island Sail and snorkel mentions a cove around Buck Island, shipwreck and rum.
Captain Nautica's mentions two locations -stingrays, turtles, and has shrimp cocktail and fruit. I'm not sure about rum.
In case you haven't noticed I want to see turtles and have to decide on which of these tours.
Thanks again
Old September 27th, 2004, 05:05 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Barbados Turtle Encounter

We did Captain Nautica--
If turtles is your thing it did not seem to be the focus. My husband snorkeled and watched one turtle for 30 min but he seemed to be only person to see one.
It was more of a fun time listening to Jimmy Buffet blairing on stereo, great young college type guides who were very friendly and helpful to especially novices (my son 10 years old). Plenty of fish and coral to see, no shipwrecks or larger sea animals though. Plus shrimp and light snack on return trip. For those who tend to get seasick 'd recommend Bonine as we did cross some rougher wakes getting to Christmas Cove --a common occurence the guide said as it is "where some currents come together".
Small group atmosphere to of I'd say 10 people.

Carnival Destiny June 2001, July 2005
NCL Southward June 1985 Honeymoon!