Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 12th, 2004, 09:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Need info on Costa Maya

Looks like Costa Maya is replacing Grand Cayman for the Star on 11/7. Anyone have any good input? I'm not much for ruins, but my DH would like it. I would love to hear from others that have been there. Sounds like a fairly new Port.

Sponsored Links
Old October 13th, 2004, 08:31 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Need info on Costa Maya

Hi Deedi,
When we were there lots of cruisers headed to the beaches there. Some shopping by the pier, but not too much, just the regular touristy things. Best bet is to book an excursion there.

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 13th, 2004, 02:54 PM
Yeoman

We booked the beach excursion - beach break - or something like that. It is an absolutely beautiful beach! There is a grill and bar and restrooms. You do have to take about a 30 minute bus ride to get there. The first time we went it was not crowded at all - this past April it was more crowded and we had to wait for a bus for about 45 minutes in line to get back to the ship. The beach has lounges, umbrellas, a pier, paddle boats and you can snorkel around the pier and see fish and huge starfish - not too much coral here but nice easy snorkeling - a beautiful place to just lounge in the sun!
Old October 13th, 2004, 03:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

At the end of the pier there is shopping, a pool, restaurants, bar, entertainment, etc.. We walked around there for a bit and then rented a golf cart (@15/hr) and drove to the village of Mahahual (sp) about 2 miles away. They have a beautiful beach there. There are restaurants and bars, as well as street vendors. The only thing I didn't care for was the vendors there. They were very pushy. I know they're trying to make a living but I don't like to be grabbed and pulled into places. We're going back in April 2005 and plan to do an excursion to Uvero beach there based on reports from others that went. They had a great time!

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old October 14th, 2004, 02:32 AM
Kim Orozco

My husband and I did thejungle break last August (Princess) and it was a complete waste of time. The bathrooms were more like out houses and I saw a little boy watching us shower from above. Every where we turned someone had their hand out for tips. The drinks were free but the quality of the liquor was horrible. We left after about an hour and went back to the ship. (they had shuttles leaving every hour)
I recommend walking to the shopping area. If you are in need of jewlry, you can sxore some great deals. I also went there with my parents two weeks later and they bargained their butts off. We were the only ship in port so they were desperate to make a deal...good luck!
Old October 15th, 2004, 01:47 PM
First Mate

We did the 8 hour ruins tour and it was really good. Got to see the jungle and the real Mexico and how people actually live. Our guide was very knowledgable. If you do this, book through the ship, as it's a long day. We were late getting back and they held the ship for us...something they wouldn't have done if we had been on our own.
Old October 16th, 2004, 05:05 PM
Admiral

We were there in March and we visited the High School and Kindergarten, brought school supplies, and played with the kids. It was a great experience.

I have pics on my Inspiration cruise page: http://daveandhelen.net/inspirationcruise.htm