Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 29th, 2005, 08:32 PM
DebG

Default Panama - Has anyone done the 2 Oceans By Railroad Tour?

We're booked on the Carnival Legend and one couple has expressed interest in the ship excursion for Panama by Railroad tour. I don't seem to be able to locate much information about this excursion.

Hs anyone taken or heard about this tour???
Sponsored Links
Old January 30th, 2005, 07:58 AM
valtime

Default Re: Panama - Has anyone done the 2 Oceans By Railroad Tour?

Have friends that did the tour a couple of years ago and were very disappointed. More time was spent on buses than on the train and much of the tour was in the dark when they did it. Things could have changed so check it out very carefully. It was an expensive tour and one they were looking forward to.
Old January 30th, 2005, 09:57 PM
Passenger

Carnival Legend / Cristobal pier on March 24
My group of 6 (4 adult 2 kids) will go to Embera indian village, this trip is highly recommend, you are welcome to join .
Old February 2nd, 2005, 05:44 PM
Passenger

We were on a Princess cruise to the Panama Canal in December and we did the Ocean to Ocean trip. We went by bus from Cristobal Pier to Panama City, then took a small boat through two locks of the canal. We enjoyed it very much and thought it was a great experience. We talked to several fellow cruisers who had done the train trip and they were disappointed. They said they didn't actually see much of the canal and in some cases, the train windows were dirty so they couldn't see much anyway.
Old February 4th, 2005, 09:21 PM
DebG

Thank you very much for all the input. I'll be researching the other options.....
Old February 5th, 2005, 01:52 PM
hcat

We're doing the Gamboa Aerial tram--looks like it's in a nice jungle setting with views of the canal at the top.. It has gotten good reviews--there'a a website just enter a search
Old February 5th, 2005, 05:52 PM
DebG

hcat,

Thanks for the recommendation. That's the tour that we're now leaning towards. We're so use to doing excursions on our own, but have heard that Panama is a place that you want to have an excursion booked thru the ship. I also read one review on the website that stated that you will not be permitted to get off the ship if you don't have an excursion booked. I have never heard of this in any other port.... any feedback??? Anyone???
Old February 5th, 2005, 06:05 PM
hcat

I think but am not sure, , it's because all excursions are tendered from Gatun Lake, then it goes back through the locks if not a full transit & eventually we all meet up again at Cristobal Pier where youcan shop but not go off... Panama is a travel warning place anyhow so I am happy going with the excursions. I think we picked a good one--but know it will be hot & humid--need insect repellent & water !