Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 11th, 2005, 03:01 PM
Passenger

Default beach entry snorkeling

where is the best place for a 1st time snorkeler to do beach entry snorkeling at Nassau, st thomas and st maarten?
Sponsored Links
Old February 11th, 2005, 03:21 PM
Admiral

Default Re: beach entry snorkeling

Can help with St Thomas. Coki Beach and Saphire Beach both offer decent snorkelling off the beach. Both are a 10 minute cab ride from the pier and both offer full facilities, no admission fees at either.
Old February 11th, 2005, 07:52 PM
Bunchy

Will you be on a cruise? I have found Buck Island at St. Croix to be great. This is an under water national park. St. Croix is not far from St. Thomas and you can get there by water taxi.
Old February 11th, 2005, 08:01 PM
First Mate

On St Thomas, I suggest the ferry to St John. The north shore beaches are awesome, and www.vinow.com has a description of each beach under the St John title.

For St Maarten we prefer hanging out at the Sunset Beach Bar at the end of the SXM runway. I believe the name of the beach is Maho Beach.
Old February 12th, 2005, 01:35 AM
pambam

I am with Mandy. Your ship should have an early tender that makes a run to St. John in the morning. Maybe as early as 6 AM. Do It! It is worth getting up for. If there is no tender then take the Ferry from St Thomas and grab a cab to Trunk Bay. This is a snorkeling beach great for beginners with and underwater trail to follow. This has to be one of the most beautiful beaches in the world! And you will see tons of beautiful tropical fish while snorkeling there. There are always cabs in the lot to get back to the Ferry. Just be sure you know the Ferry times and get back in time to ferry back to St Thomas. It is a very short Ferry ride. Have fun!
Old February 14th, 2005, 11:06 AM
Admiral

i also agree with snorkeling over on St. John Island. There are lots of beaches to choose from. All breathtakingly beautiful.
St. Maarten - look into booking a ships tour over to Pineal Island for snorkeling.
Old February 14th, 2005, 12:52 PM
PapBill

Default Re: Re: beach entry snorkeling

The Buck Island information offered above may not be correct. There are two Buck Islands in the Virgin Islands. One is located off the coast of St Thomas and is a popular snorkelling spot and can be accessed by water taxi and many excursions go here.
The other (more famous ) is off the coast of St Croix. St Croix is NOT close to St Thomas and is NOT accessable by water taxi. You can take a sea plane to St Croix or a "fast Ferry" The fast ferries take about 75 to 90 minutes and cost about $65 round trip.
I believe the poster above is confusing the two Buck Islands.