Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 31st, 2005, 02:11 PM
Yeoman

Default New Orleans walk to terminal?

Does anybody know how bad is the walk from the French Quarters to the terminal? Is it possible to cut through the Riverwalk mall or would we have to go around it??

Help!

Holiday May 2000
Sponsored Links
Old April 1st, 2005, 10:24 AM
First Mate

Default Re: New Orleans walk to terminal?

Topping
Our next cruise will probably be from New Orleans - so I am interested too.
Old April 1st, 2005, 11:03 AM
ccseadoo

the frence quarter is(im guessing) a 1/2 mile....long walk with luggage even for a young healty person..

I belive that once u enter the river walk you cant really get to the pier, you have to go back outside the river walk and then you go "under" the river walk. this passage is right next to the convention center(where the mall ends and convertion center begins).
taxis charge a flat rate to the pier. i went 2 blocks and it was $35. next time I stayed at the holiday inn accross the street from the conventon center. it was cheep,shuttled us to burbon st(the night befor) and the walk from there was approx 500 yards
Old April 1st, 2005, 11:57 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: New Orleans walk to terminal?

thx for info.
Old April 1st, 2005, 02:02 PM
Yeoman

2 blocks for $35??? OUCH! We walked the last time we were there but didn't make it all the way to the terminal. The Conquest was sailing out of Gulf Port, MI at the time.

What to do?? I guess we could just wing it. I just can't see paying $35 for a tax to take us half a mile. Our luggage does have wheels after all.

Holiday May 2000
Old April 1st, 2005, 03:16 PM
cunchick

Good question! We are booked on NCL Sun out of New Orleans for November 6th. We are looking for ideas for the best hotel for the night before the cruise. Hve been thinking near the convention center might be the best but some in party have never been to New Orleans so of course French Quarter has been suggested.
Anyone have any ideas or hotel recommends for a pre cruise hotel in New Orleans. Your help would be really appreciated!
Old April 1st, 2005, 04:12 PM
Yeoman

We're staying at the Ramada Limited in Metairie again just because we're tight-wads. They offer free shuttle to/from the airport and French Quarters.

While we were in the New Orleans last time, I noticed that a lot of parties happen at all hours of the night in the French Quarters even after Mardis Gras. I wouldn't stay too close to Bourbon street if you want sleep. The Convention Center, from what I remember was in walking distance to most of the action at the French Quarters. Although it's far enough away from the hustle and bustle of the crowds.

Holiday May 2000
Old April 3rd, 2005, 10:01 PM
First Mate

We stayed at the Hilton (next to Riverside Mall). I think it is a good location. When the ship comes in the next morning, you can walk there and see it waiting for you. We also walked to the French Quarter from the Hilton. If you are in good walking shape, you can easily walk it. You can also take the trolley train or whatever it is that they call it. It is right by the Hilton.
Old April 5th, 2005, 10:13 AM
Yeoman

Try www.NOLA.com It might give you some names of some hotels close by that give a precruise special, or offer free shuttle.

From the French Quarter to the cruise terminal would be a good walk , specially carrying luggage. With out luggage, no problem.

Happy Cruising;
david
Old April 5th, 2005, 01:53 PM
cali-croozer

I have heard that some families will send 1 person in the taxi with all the luggage (I think it would be $10), and the rest walk to the port.

We are staying at the Hampton Inn Convention Center, which some people say is within walking distance and some say it's not. We'll just check it out when we get there and send my husband with the taxi and luggage in case. I know it's not that much money, but, with a family, every savings counts. Also, I've heard that there's a lot of traffic by the port and some people have been stuck in their taxi for a LONG time. No fun.
Old April 5th, 2005, 04:21 PM
maryjorunyon

I think there are several very nice hotels by Riverwalk, they should offer shuttles to the pier which is only a couple of blocks from there. Remember New Orleans can be very hot and sweaty especially with luggage in tow. Check for hotels by Harrahs or the Aquarium, that is a nice area.

Have fun and have a coffee at Cafe D'monde for me!
Old April 6th, 2005, 10:25 AM
pcboston

Hilton New Orleans Riverside was the perfect choice for us last October. Right outside our window was the Mississippi. We walked to the Aquarium, French quarter, French Market, ferry to the Audabon Zoo, and were right next door to Harrahs and connected to the Riverside Mall. It was quite expensive ( Halloween weekend, which is a big thing in
New Orleans) but well worth it for one night. There was no shuttle to the port, we took a taxi because of luggage. We could actually see the cruise ships from our hotel window, but you had to go around the block to get to the port. I can't imagine walking from a French quarter hotel with all the luggage to the port, it would be a pretty good hike, plus crossing Canal St. There are hotels closer to the port but these are, of course, furthur from the other stuff to see. I think the taxi was $15 for 2 people and luggage, not a cheap city. I had heard about the horrendous traffic and tie ups at this port, so on Sunday (Cruise Day) I asked if we could possibly have a late check out, so we could go to the Zoo in the morning. They were very accommodating, said no problem, so we did our zoo trip, checked out about 2, grabbed a taxi. The traffic was minimal at this time and we walked right on the ship. Hope this helps with your decision.
Old April 6th, 2005, 03:36 PM
Yeoman

Thank you all for your help! After checking the weather, I see that New Orleans is due for thunderstorms that weekend so we'll probably end up taking a dry taxi. Ya never know though!

Holiday May 2000
Old April 12th, 2005, 10:45 PM
Rayma

I was wondering if anyone had rented a car at the airport & returned it to the same company near the cruise ship dock? Is there a car rental company that does this?
Old April 13th, 2005, 11:07 AM
Passenger

Leaving on the Conquest 6/12/05. We are staying at the Embassy Suites. The hotel staff has told me the hotel is 1 block from cruise terminal and it does appear so from the map I checked out. Maybe this is an option for you. I stayed her specifically so we could walk to terminal w/ our family of 6. At least everyon's luggage has wheels. However if the walk seems to be bad or the weather I guess we'll send one of the adults in a cab w/ the luggage and the rest of us will walk.
Old April 13th, 2005, 12:47 PM
Yeoman

Tribbs, you gave me a good idea! Rather than wait in a 1/2 hour line in a taxi, we'll have the taxi drop us off at the Embassy Suites! We'd rather walk and keep moving than wait in line with all the stress. We'll be way too excited to sit around!

Holiday May 2000
Old April 18th, 2005, 03:55 PM
Passenger

Anyone know how close the Marriott Arts hotel is from the terminal?

Carnival Imagination
Carnival Sensation 2005
Carnival Legend 2004
Carnival Imagination 2003
Carnival Imagination 2002
Nordic Empress 2001
Carnival Pa
Old April 22nd, 2005, 04:55 AM
miss honey

We stayed 2 blocks from Bourbon Street and had no problem sleeping. The rooms are more expensive in that direction though. I would stay around the riverwalk and take a cab, I wouldn't think it would be no more than $12, it is around 5 blocks.I would not walk from Bourbon street to riverwalk at night. We did it during the day and it was a good hike. Miss Honey
Old June 17th, 2005, 11:43 PM
misslinda

The riverfront streetcar drops you off at a set of escalators that take you to the door of the terninal. Closer than the taxi drop off. If the hotel you choose is near any street car route you can tranfer and get to the ternimal for $1.50. Don't forget to ask for a transfer when you enter the first streetcar. For a schedule and map visit www.regionaltransit.org. For hotel info try neworleansonline.com or www.neworleansvb.com.
Old June 18th, 2005, 08:36 AM
wd145

we used the streetcar too....very helpful with luggage....don't walk and DO NOT take a cab....you'll be broke.
Old June 28th, 2005, 01:14 PM
MagnoliaBlossom

Welcome to my home town! N.O. is a great town and yes, it is expensive but what big city isn't these days? From the quarter, take MissLinda's advise and use the streetcar. For hotel infomation follow her sites and you should have all the info you need. Best advice for Sunday: go early and avoid the rush. After about 12 or so the tour busses will be backed up to the Mississippi line dropping off bazillions of people. Lord only knows where they get all those folks but I've never sailed from anywhere and seen the number of busses at the port like in N.O.

Don't miss: coffee and beignets (donuts) at Morning Call or Cafe Dumonde.
A hurricane at Pat O'Briens
Pre-cruise confession at St. Louis Basillica
A moufelotta at Central Grocery on Decatur (best in the universe)
Breakfast at Brennan's - or just stop in for a milk punch!
Ride the street car roundtrip from Canal St, through the garden district and back
Get off the trolley at Washington St. and go to the cemetery one block away - wow.
My favorite French Quarter hotel: Le Richelieu - old, quaint, dark, quiet
Stroll the quarter and peek into courtyards - unexpected gardens!

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!