Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 16th, 2005, 10:44 AM
First Mate

Default St Vincent Question

Has anybody been to St Vincent before? We're going on the Sun Princess over Thanksgiving and could use your input. I'm looking for some suggestions of what to see or what tour should I consider. My wife and I are going by ourselves and really don't do the bar scene but like to see some interesting sights or beaches. Any help would be greatly apprieciated.

Thanks
John and Christine

Carnival Tropicale
Carnival Pride
Carnival Glory
Carnival Miracle
Carnival Victory
Sponsored Links
Old October 17th, 2005, 02:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

I spent a week on Young Island (which is right off the coast of St. Vincent) about 2 years ago and we spent quite a bit of time on St. Vincent. A city tour would be very interesting. We did one that included two cathedrals and the botanical gardens and fish market and fair. We also took a trip to the Falls of Baliene (sp) which was spectacular. Depending on how much time in port you have there is also a tour to through the rain forest to the volcano. I loved St. Vincent and found the people their to be very warm and friendly. They love to show off thier island. I'm looking forward to returning, hopefully soon, as it is one of my favorite places.
Old October 17th, 2005, 03:35 PM
First Mate

Thanks Darcy for your reply!

The ship will be in port from 1:00 PM to 6:00 PM, which doesn't seem to be much time to see everything. Would you say that it would be best to take some kind of tour verses site seeing on your own? I know on some ports I've visited, everything you should see is far from the docks. Is that the case here or is there a lot to see at the pier area? I didn't see any tours going to the falls, how far is it and how much time do you think is needed?

Thanks so much for your help!!

John and Christine
Old October 18th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

John and Christine:

Unless the ship offers a tour to the falls I wouldn't try it on my own. The one we took was an all day trip, which included snorkeling at a couple of different places and lunch.

I believe the ship will come into Kingstown. The cathedrals and the botanical garden aren't far from there and the farmer's market and fish market are right there. I did think it was much more interesting hiring a local guide. We were able to get a lot of history that we wouldn't have gotten just wandering around on our own. Also, in the farmer's market and fish market the guide was able to tell us what everything was and how it was used locally.

Darcy
Old October 19th, 2005, 07:17 AM
First Mate

Thanks Darcy!

You've been a big help. Can't wait to see it.

Have a great day,
John & Christine
Old November 17th, 2005, 08:57 PM
Passenger

Just got back from St Vincent. We hired a taxi driver to take us on a tour of the island as well as to stop at a local beachside hotel for lunch and a dip in the beautiful waters. He stayed with us the entire time. Be sure you get to the beach side of the island (our beach faced Bequia). It is a whole other experience than the port side.

Enjoy your cruise.

Sue