Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 6th, 2006, 12:33 PM
Passenger

Default Cozumel with Family

In February, my husband and I will be in Cozumel with are 4 children - ages 6,10,11 and 14. Any suggestions on what to do? Should we book an excursion through the cruiselines or is it cheaper to try and do it ourselves?
Sponsored Links
Old January 6th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

Colleen:

I'm not sure what will be open when you go. Check out cozumelinsider.com. They are right on the island and should be able to let you know what's up and running. Sherri is wonderful to deal with. I've booked several tours through them and have never been disappointed. On our last cruise our tour was cancelled due to weather (Hurricane Katrina was in the gulf). They processed our refund before we even got home.

Darcy
Old January 11th, 2006, 01:24 PM
Passenger

Default What cruisel ine

we'll be on RCCL Legend OTS Feb 18-25 with a 12 yr old -

any chance we'll be OB together .. . .
Old January 11th, 2006, 01:39 PM
First Mate

I think this depends upon what type of excursion you are looking for. If you just want to go to a nice beach then I would certainly do this on my own and save money. Most any excursion that the ship offers can be booked on your own. What exactly are you looking for, maybe some of the posters can help.
Old January 12th, 2006, 11:30 AM
First Mate

We went last year with teens as well. We took a cab to Chaunkannab (sp?) beach. Spent the day there snorkeling. They do have a dolphin encounter if you want to spend more but we just enjoyed the snorkeling. They have snorkel stuff to rent right at the beach and food and a few shops. On our way back to the ship we shopped by the port so each kid could get something. They were tired and content to stay on board so hubby and I got off on our own for a little shopping and dinner right at the pier. Really enjoyed relaxing at a little open air restaurant and watching the water and our ship all lit up. It was one of our more relaxing days.
You might want to check that beaches are not storm damaged and go from there.
Have fun...Karyn
Old January 13th, 2006, 01:58 PM
Passenger

Our family will be on the Splendour Feb 18-23. We have 4 kids also--14, 11, 8, and 4. Which ship are you going to be on?
Old January 13th, 2006, 03:11 PM
Passenger

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.

VikingPilot and BLT we will be on the Inspiration leaving Tampa 2/23
Old January 13th, 2006, 05:21 PM
Passenger

took my boys to playa del sol (sp) beach... they loved it.. trampoline & rock climbing in the water.. paddle boats.. etc... it is like $10.00 per person to get in..
Old January 16th, 2006, 09:17 AM
Admiral

We took the Fury Catamaran snorkeling and private beach tour, all the kids had a blast the beach is equipped with hammocks, water floats and kayaks. Kids loved exploring for shells. The tour price includes snorkling equipment, beer, margaritas (really bad stuff), and soft drinks.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old January 16th, 2006, 12:49 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by shm
took my boys to playa del sol (sp) beach... they loved it.. trampoline & rock climbing in the water.. paddle boats.. etc... it is like $10.00 per person to get in..
We are cruising to Cozumel in April with two boys, ages 3 & 6. I was very interested in where you went. Could you give me more information? Is playa del sol a resort? Did you take a taxi or bus there? Is it very far from the pier? How old were your boys?

Fantasy May 1992
Fascination April 1995
Conquest September 2005
Elation April 2006
Old February 26th, 2006, 03:10 PM
Yeoman

We took our 3 kids (ages 10, 12 & 14) last July and did the dolphin and sea lion swims. We all loved it.......Well worth the money! We saved some by booking it directly with the state park themselves, they also do refunds, should your ship not make it there. My kids still watch the films we bought. great time for all.
Old March 1st, 2006, 10:25 AM
Passenger

We just got back from our cruise and it was fantastic. Everyone wants to do another one as soon as possible.

Playa de Sol has been renamed to Playa Mia. We ended up renting a minivan from Executive. When we rented the minivan they gave us coupon to get into Playa Mia for $3 per person. This was a great deal for the 6 of us. Playa Mia charges $14 per person regularly for their basic entry fee and the cruise ship wanted to charge us $29 and we'd have to take a taxi there. This fee includes the use of the beach and all non-motorized sports. The kids had a blast - there was a water trampoline, rock climbing, paddle boats, kayaks, snorkeling (rental equipment extra), kids activities.

Rental equipment inside Playa Mia was a rip-off $12. We bought it at vendors outside for $9. You can pay more and have unlimited drinks and food (I think it was around $40 at the gate - Carnival wanted to charge about $75 which also included your transportation to and from.)

After spending about 4 hours at the beach, we drove around Cozumel (lots of damage due to Hurricane but the beaches and water were breath taking) and went shopping.
Old March 2nd, 2006, 11:49 AM
Passenger

Colleen64,

We (party of 5) will be cruising on the Elation April 3 to Progresso & Cozumel. I was wandering how much it was to rent the minivan in Cozumel? Did you have any trouble driving in Cozumel? Were there any places you would recommend shopping? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Fantasy May 1992
Fascination April 1995
Conquest September 2005
Elation April 2006
Old March 2nd, 2006, 12:28 PM
Passenger

Through Executive we paid about $90 and that included upgraded insurance. We were told to make sure that you go over all dents and dings when you rent the car because they will try to blame you for anything when you return it and they did but my DH had done a great job in making sure they marked down every little thing before.

People we met onboard rented a jeep for $40 through Executive and they will hold 5 people.

Driving around Cozumel was very easy. The map at
http://www.gocozumel.com/island-map.htm
shows you that you can loop through the island very easy and then we used a map from Executive to navigate the streets downtown

We did not shop for jewelry just souvenirs for the kids. We walked around downtown San Miguel but ended up doing most of our shopping right on the pier where we embarked. My daughter bought a doll for $10 at Playa Mia and at the end of the day we say the same doll for $6 right on the pier.