Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 15th, 2006, 10:59 AM
Passenger

Default Stingray excursion in Grand Cayman

Can anyone tell me what is this excursion is all about? My husband does not do the water thing but I would love to try it.Can he stay high and dry while I take the plunge?
Sponsored Links
Old January 15th, 2006, 11:24 AM
Passenger

Had a ball. You can book by the ship or private vendor. You meet your guide at the dock and they take you by bus to a small port where the boats head out to sea. around 30-40min boat ride if I remember correctly. They supply all the equimpent you need, unless you have small children I suggest bringing you own goggles for them, small enough to fit them. (swimming goggles will do). Once there they explain how to use the euipment, explain about the sting rays, and off into the water you go. It's a sand bar and plenty of other boats there. You will be amazed how the rays just come up and swim all around you. My husband is legally blind so he couldn't see them but loved hearing the kids in the water laughing non stop. Your husband will love the boat ride and seeing the rays come so close to people and your boat. We can't wait to do it next time. Freedom here we come. Have a great time..This experience you will forever remember!
Old January 15th, 2006, 11:24 AM
Beginner

You must go on this excursion, it is awesome. Usually you do a bit of snorkeling before and after the stingray encounter and that is done in about 10-20 feet of water but the actual stingray encounter is on a sand dune and the water there is only waist high. The boat is anchored at the site so your hubby can view everything from there. Hope that answers some questions. Enjoy!!!!
Old January 15th, 2006, 01:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I'd go ahead and book both you and your husband. If he wishes, he can stay on the boat and take pictures of you having a ball. Heck, he may just jump in and join you, its awesome. The water is shallow, so no real swimming is required. Be sure to purchase a disposable water camera before you leave home, you'll pay double once you are on the excursion compared to what you can get it at home. Best of luck talking your husband into going, I bet he enjoys it even if he doesn't go in, its a nice boat ride out there.

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 16th, 2006, 11:59 AM
Passenger

We did the Coral Reef & Stingray Safari through Carnival in September 2005. This was the best excursion we have ever been on! Your husband could stay on the boat and watch, but the water was not real deep on the stingray part. You must do a stingray excursion!!!!!

Fantasy May 1992
Fascination April 1995
Conquest September 2005
Elation April 2006
Old January 16th, 2006, 07:22 PM
First Mate

We used Captain Bryan's Buccaneer http://grandcaymancruiseexcursions.c...CaptBryans.htmfor our excursion. It was fabulous! The first stop was at the sandbar where we got in with the rays. We all got to hold one and kiss it for 7 years good luck, and then we even got a stingray massage! They had pieces of squid that we could hold and feed to the rays. We then went to the reef where the guide coaxed out a morey eel for us to take pictures of! The 3rd stop was the deeper part where we could snorkel and look all around at the beautiful underwater life.

We did the Carnival excursion our first time with a lot of people on our boat, and only went to one stop. This Buccaneer was a lot cheaper ($35) and there were a lot fewer people on it, maybe 29 - 25. We also got a DVD that they taped of our excursion. I think it was $40.

Your DH wouldn't have to get off the boat, but as you will see from my pictures, it is pretty shallow at the sandbar.

Here is a link to my pictures from that day: http://community.webshots.com/album/530801710NJTzFf
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
Mark Twain

Check out my cruise photos: http://community.webshots.com/user/Sheffie100