Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 31st, 2006, 12:14 AM
Banned
Familiar Face

Default Island Village Ochos ? coffeeshop. massage/nails..internet?

Hi all..

I am booked on the Sundancer Yacht cruise to Dunn River Falls in may

after the cruise back, plan to go to the Island Village...have looked at the site, maybe a bit higher priced than "downtown" but seems easier and safer

any good shops there? things to buy....? saw they have a coffeeshop too,
also "natty nails and braids">>> says massages...has anyone had a massage there/?

internet cafe is also listed?? any ideas for things to do there, plus margeritaville? thanks

Cheri
Imagination 5/8-5/13 Grand Cayman/Ochos Rios
Sponsored Links
Old March 31st, 2006, 10:12 AM
Yeoman

Im not sure if thats where we went, but if so it was nice compared to other places Ive been in the past. The area was just down the street from the pier. There was an armed (large gun) guard at the gated entrance. It was an outdoor place covered with trees with many shops (buildings). There was a neat little reggae type shop where I got my son a cheap steel drum. Lots of dress places, jewelry, bookstore....boutique type places. There was also a Margaritaville there which was cool. It had a water slide starting inside and upstairs, which dumped out to a pool on a little beach. It was too early for it to be open when we went. I never felt pestered by the salespeople like I have at other places (they didnt follow us around), it was clean and I felt safe. Im not sure about the places you asked about.

alison
PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old April 28th, 2006, 08:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

If last years storms didn't affect Island Village in Ocho Rios, I definitely recommend checking it out. We were there in '05 (Spring). Margaritaville is a "hoot"! Great food, entertainment and free jell-o shots of tequilla at the restaurant - outdoors, on the beach!

Shops are reasonable in prices and people are friendly and accomodating to cruisers in port. Many shops have native hand-made unusual creations that are not unreasonably priced. Many one of a kind items. Most shops are typical tourist-y types, and competitive pricing within each shop. There is a "hair-braiding" hut on the right side of the beach; I had my entire head done there; it took about 2 hours. My braids remained firmly intact for about 6-7 weeks after I returned home! Be warned - if you braid your hair you will expose parts of your scalp that are "virgin". Put sunscreen on exposed scalp back on ship! Also, visit the ice-cream shop at Island Village. It's cheap and the variety of Jamaican native flavors is indescribably delicious! The prices are in Jamaican currency terms - don't be put-off when you pay.....like $752.00 is really $1.90 American money! I almost had a heart attack...until I realized the currency valuation!

Have a wonderful time....it's a colorful place that's fun to experience!

One downside: It took forever to walk from the ship to the Village...wear comfortable shoes - the pier is very l-o-n-n-g!

"Time you enjoyed wasting, was not really wasted at all" ~ John Lennon
Carnival Victory to N/E & Canada 7 days
Old April 29th, 2006, 02:23 PM
Banned
Familiar Face

Thanks...this sounds great !

I saw the "hair braiding' place also has massages...I like to get "cheaper' massages off the ship >> so I will check that out

I already have my "free margerita" coupon printed out for Margaritaville haha...thanks for the info

any other ideas>> good things to buy/try there?? I want to get some of the coffee for sure,
also I like "bath and body" type stuff, beauty products, lotions and things when i travel

thanks again...

Cheri
Imagination May 8-13