Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 6th, 2006, 12:00 PM
First Mate

Default WEATHER-PANAMA CANAL &COSTARICA

Good morning, all
Debating sailing a full Panama transit either January/february '07 OR Mid-October '06. Doing WestBound.
Anybody has a suggestion as to historical weather patterns in those areas between the two date windows we're thinking about ?? Rainy season : more prevalent October or January/feb ??? Mexican Riviera and specially CostaRica (West coast) are ports of interest to us.
Thanks for your help
Cheers
CG

Nest up: CENTURY June'08....B2B Norwegian Fjords/Artic/NorthCape & Scandinavia/Russia

TIME TO BOARD YET ??
CLAUDE G
Sponsored Links
Old April 6th, 2006, 07:03 PM
Admiral

sealegs,

Debating sailing a full Panama transit either January/february '07 OR Mid-October '06. Doing WestBound.
Anybody has a suggestion as to historical weather patterns in those areas between the two date windows we're thinking about ?? Rainy season : more prevalent October or January/feb ??? Mexican Riviera and specially CostaRica (West coast) are ports of interest to us.

I think that it's pretty much a "six of one or a half dozen of the other" kind of choice. The weather may be a bit cooler on the last day at sea and in your port of debarkation in the January-February time frame, but October is the tail end of hurricane season in the Caribbean. Most of the passage is in the tropics, so the weather will be pretty nice at either time of year.

The "full transit" itineraries are fantastic, as you basically get both a seven-night Caribbean cruise and a seven-night Mexican Riviera cruise with passage through the ditch on the transition day. I presume that your itinerary calls at Puntarenas and Huatulco, which are great ports of call!

Norm.
Old April 7th, 2006, 04:35 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Jacqueline

We did not do a full transit in January, but a ships tour through the Miraflores locks.
The temperature in CR and Panama was warm/hot, we had overcast and a nice wind, which was good for the shore trips and a bit of rain, not worth mentioning.
Have fun, the Canal is really something!!!

Read and post cruise reviews

Old April 9th, 2006, 02:41 PM
First Mate

Good morning,Norm
Thanks for input.
We're specifically concerned about the historical rainy season in CostaRica and up towards the Mexican Riviera's south end....If we elect to do the October option, it would be Westbound on Infinity,early Oct...or mid-October by the time we get there. Yes, Hualtulco is on the list.
Alternatively, Summit does one mid January, Westbound ( but with the CDS parnaphelia (sp?) still up in Revelation lounge...not interested...), and Mercury does a Eastbound 8th December, westbound 23rd.
I'm leaning towards Mercury's options ( would love the holidays westbound, but sold out....).
The Carribean's side , weather-wise, is not a concern...it'll be what it'll be...and we only stop once ( Aruba) on Infinity or twice ( Aruba/Curacao)on Mercury.
The Pacific side is more of an issue with us, specially CostaRica.
What's your opinion ???
( btw, I still have those RCCL's shares....)

Cheers
CG

Nest up: CENTURY June'08....B2B Norwegian Fjords/Artic/NorthCape & Scandinavia/Russia

TIME TO BOARD YET ??
CLAUDE G
Old April 11th, 2006, 07:53 AM
Yeoman

Ive done both a full and partial transit, both during the holidays. Both times it was sunny, hot, and humid. I dont recall any rain, but if so, it was a typical quick shower.

As for hurricanes, the tour guide pointed out that they never get them in that area (too far south or something), but you would still need to worry about the other parts on your cruise during hurricane season.

alison
PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old April 28th, 2006, 08:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

sealegs:
We did Panama Canal, Costa Rice, Belize, Mexico etc. two years ago in March. Weather was humid, mild breezes, around 83-89 degrees, calm seas and sunny. No rain during the 5 days we passed through at that time. You can check on weather.com for all international weather history & averages in any region, or go to the tourism boards on the internet for info in any of the cities/countries in relation to your travel.

I was reluctant to do Panama Canal; my husband is a construction engineer - so his curiosity was understood. I am a "beach bum" type, sand, sea & sun, so I anticipated much boredom. NOT!!! I was in total awe of the experience. As our ship passed through Gatun Locks you could almost hear "a pin drop" for the air was pregnant with silence. It is truly an amazing sight to behold and cannot be explained in words. We did not transverse the entire Canal; it would have taken many hours and we were not going to the West Coast at all. We continued on to Costa Rica the next day, on the Eastern side of the area. After the Canal, we docked at the wharf in Cristobal, Panama. If your ship goes there be sure to visit the Wharf area; duty-free shops and much rain forest native art and unusual hand made items.....impressive to say the least!

Whatever you do, whenever you go.....I promise you, you are in for an experience that will stay with you forever. It truly is the 8th Wonder of the World.

"Time you enjoyed wasting, was not really wasted at all" ~ John Lennon
Carnival Victory to N/E & Canada 7 days