Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 15th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Yeoman

Default blind&blurry without my glasses. can i snorkel??

i want to snorkel very much in belize, but without my glasses i am seeing nothing but a blob upclose . is there a way to wear my glasses with the mask? i dont have contacts and i am not willing to pay for a expensive mask with my prescription in it for just a few snorkeling excursions.

am i out of luck. i hope there is a solution to my problem.

thanks alot, dusty
Old July 15th, 2006, 04:17 PM
Passenger

Default Re: blind&blurry without my glasses. can i snorkel??

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty
i want to snorkel very much in belize, but without my glasses i am seeing nothing but a blob upclose . is there a way to wear my glasses with the mask? i dont have contacts and i am not willing to pay for a expensive mask with my prescription in it for just a few snorkeling excursions.

am i out of luck. i hope there is a solution to my problem.

thanks alot, dusty
Hello Dusty,

Years and years ago I was with a snorkeling group and one lady actually had a mask with built in tested lens just for her eyes, surrounded by the normal snorkeling mask lens. I tried them on and they were pretty neat. I would enquire with an opthomologist and see how you can be outfitted with one that will probably last you a lifetime!! Happy snorkeling if you succeed in getting one, and Belize's barrier reef is gorgeous with colour and marine life (second longest barrier reef in the world). If you buy on board, the snorkeling catamaran will pick you up from the ship and go direrctly to the reef - about 25 minutes away!!! Towel, sunscreen, food, drinks, camera, ACTION.....................!!!
Old July 15th, 2006, 04:38 PM
Yeoman

Default orion

thank you so much for the suggestion. i want to snorkel so much but your suggestion is probably the only way i will be able to enjoy it. i will have to check into your idea.

thanks alot for your reply
Old July 15th, 2006, 07:59 PM
First Mate

most ship's excursions (off boats) offer the magnified masks for no additional charge. My husb has been using them & says it works well. I just bumble along in my blindness but may also try one out on the next trip!
Old July 15th, 2006, 10:00 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcat
most ship's excursions (off boats) offer the magnified masks for no additional charge. My husb has been using them & says it works well. I just bumble along in my blindness but may also try one out on the next trip!
hcat, that is good to know. i hope that is the case with the tour i take if i decide i still want to do one.
Old July 16th, 2006, 12:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Snorkeling -glasses

My eyesight is so poor that I tell people I sleep with my glasses on in order to see my dreams.

I have snorkeled for years with just a regular snorkel mask. The water magnifies the fish - so I am able to see most of them. I have considered obtaining a prescription mask - but I am able to enjoy snorkeling without one.

So don't worry about not being able to see things - you will
Old July 16th, 2006, 12:36 PM
Yeoman

Default My eyesight is so poor that I tell people I sleep with my gl

poor eyesight is a terrible prolem. it sounds like yours is worse than mine. it is good to know that you can still go snorkeling and see things with the regular mask. i am going to try it at home with a pair i buy myself and test them out. if it doesnt work i will only be out the cost of the mask, not the high price for the tour. thanks for letting me know that it works for you.
Old July 18th, 2006, 01:56 AM
First Mate

My problem with using a prescription mask is that I can't see anything without the mask on my head. I don't wear glasses, I wear contacts. I neeeded a way to use a mask without fear of having my eyes come in contact with salt water and losing my contacts. I also didn't want to spend hundreds of dollars for a mask that I would use a few times each year.

A really helpful clerk at Sport Chalet told me to get a purge mask. When underwater, all you have to do is blow out of your nose and the entire mask clears of water. Make sure you get one that purges from the bottom (some require you to turn your head which totally defeats the contact lens problem). Now I snorkel confidently with my contacts on. Mine is made by US Divers, it's the X-Ray model. It came in a box with a snorkel. I believe it's in the $40 range.

How does it work? Fantastic. As soon as water begins to enter the mask, I just blow out through my nose. All the water clears instantly. I've used it many times now and it works so well that my husband and son got the same mask. They don't need it for the eye problem, they just like not having to surface to clear the water from their mask.

Carnival - Spirit: Alaska (August 8, 2007)
Carnival - Miracle: Exotic Western Caribbean (April 9, 2006)
Royal Caribbean - Explorer of the Seas: Eastern Caribbean (January 2005)
Old July 18th, 2006, 02:05 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Agree About the Purge

I have the same mask. The purge is wonderful. My wife - wanting to save a few bucks - decided to get a cheaper model without a purge. She will be buying a new mask with the purge feature for her next mask.
Old July 18th, 2006, 03:39 AM
Yeoman

thanks for the great tip on this mask. i will check into it. im sure once i have snorkeled i will doing it more often than i think now.