Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 17th, 2006, 08:35 PM
Beginner

Default Which itinerary for family with 85 years old and 1 years old

We are planning a caribbean cruise in Jan. 07. My husband, my mom, my grandma, my uncle and my 1 year old will go. My hubby, my mom and me have been to alaska cruise on celebrity before. This is the first time for my baby and grandma, uncle. they cannot swim or walk a lot. then should we choose east, west or south? and what ports of call are good?
Sponsored Links
Old August 18th, 2006, 07:05 AM
Admiral

You might want to make your decision based on type of activities at the different ports of call and whether they are tendered ports or not. When I accompanied by 84 year old aunt on a cruise, I chose the eastern Caribbean...Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, St. Maarten because the ship is able to dock at all three locations, therefore, it was much easier for my aunt to get off the ship....she would never have been able to climb into a tender boat and would have been confined to the ship. Once on shore, we booked bus tours of the islands which she loved...no walking and she was able to get a good insight into the cultures and highlights of each island. The western Caribbean, I believe, offers activities geared towards swimming, diving, cave tubing, zip line tours, etc., and you have to tender in Belize and possibly Cozumel.
Old August 18th, 2006, 01:53 PM
Admiral

If you want a relaxing route with gorgeous white silky sandy beaches, gorgeous scenery, turquoise waters, some snorkeling and good shopping then pick an Eastern Route.- St.Thomas, St. Maarten etc
A Southern route would also be a good choice if you want a port-intensive route that has more local flavor to it. Aruba, Curacao, Barbados etc
A Western route would be the most active of your routes with Sting Ray encounters, dolphin swims, waterfall climbing, river tubing, zip-lines, Mayan ruins and amazing snorkeling.- Grand Cayman, Jamaica, Cozumel
FYI - you need to act on this NOW if you want to get space on a January 2007 cruise. You will all need passports also. I would suggest that you go to a local cruise travel agency, pick their brains, get some brochures, and sit down with the family and see what route sparks the most interest.
You can make your cruise as active or as sedate as you choose, that's the beauty of it.
Old August 18th, 2006, 04:40 PM
Beginner

Default when to book?

Should I book it now? I heard the deals can be found in Jan. sale., because there are not a lot of people going at that time. Is that true? When should I book?

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaK
If you want a relaxing route with gorgeous white silky sandy beaches, gorgeous scenery, turquoise waters, some snorkeling and good shopping then pick an Eastern Route.- St.Thomas, St. Maarten etc
A Southern route would also be a good choice if you want a port-intensive route that has more local flavor to it. Aruba, Curacao, Barbados etc
A Western route would be the most active of your routes with Sting Ray encounters, dolphin swims, waterfall climbing, river tubing, zip-lines, Mayan ruins and amazing snorkeling.- Grand Cayman, Jamaica, Cozumel
FYI - you need to act on this NOW if you want to get space on a January 2007 cruise. You will all need passports also. I would suggest that you go to a local cruise travel agency, pick their brains, get some brochures, and sit down with the family and see what route sparks the most interest.
You can make your cruise as active or as sedate as you choose, that's the beauty of it.
Old August 18th, 2006, 06:56 PM
Admiral

I would suggest that you call a travel agency in your area that does heavy cruise bookings to see if there are any sales going on right now. If you have a specific date, cruise ship, itinerary, deck, and stateroom in mind, the sooner you make your reservation the better chance you have of booking exactly what you want. There are some people who wing it at the last minute but this would not be my preference, especially if you have a large group. My family definitely have preferences for deck and stateroom, therefore, we try to book our cruises as soon as we decide on a date and itinerary. If you book with a large T.A., they always know the best deals available. I am a member of AAA and have used their travel agency almost exclusively for cruises. Booking a few months in advance allows us ample time to save money for the cruise.
Old August 18th, 2006, 08:16 PM
Admiral

littlekitty,

We are planning a caribbean cruise in Jan. 07. My husband, my mom, my grandma, my uncle and my 1 year old will go. My hubby, my mom and me have been to alaska cruise on celebrity before. This is the first time for my baby and grandma, uncle. they cannot swim or walk a lot. then should we choose east, west or south? and what ports of call are good?

The choice of itinerary doesn't really matter, except as to duration. All of the ports of call throughout the Caribbean offer plenty of attractions for at least two or three days of sightseeing and each island has some unique attractions.

Be aware that the children's centers on most of the major cruise lines do not offer programs for children under three years of age, but your infant probably will be welcome to play in the children's center if accompanied there by an adult member of your party.

Norm.