Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 12th, 2006, 06:29 PM
Familiar Face

Default ST. Maarten Beaches

Hi, I am going to St. Maarten in October on the Explorer. What beaches do u recommend for snorkeling? Orient beach or Pinel? Thanks Dee
Sponsored Links
Old September 13th, 2006, 08:57 AM
Admiral

We were torn between these two choices also....we had snorkeled in St. Thomas so decided to go to Orient Beach in St. Maarten. Orient Beach is beautiful, lots of water activities but I did not see any snorkelers. We heard that Pinel Island is the better spot for snorkeling.
Old October 6th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Beginner

Orient is great fun, but too many large waves inhibit good snorkeling and there's nothing really to see underwater. Pinel is BY FAR better for snorkeling.... it is simply paradise... However, Mullett Bay and Baie Rouge have the very BEST snorkeling on the island. Enjoy!!
Old October 8th, 2006, 10:44 PM
First Mate

We went snorkeling at Pinel Island. It really wasn't very good, but the beach was wonderful to relax on. We have snorkeled at Dawn Beach, and it was better.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
Mark Twain

Check out my cruise photos: http://community.webshots.com/user/Sheffie100
Old October 23rd, 2006, 07:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Orient Beach

We used Joyce Prince for transportation when we were on our last Eastern Caribbean cruise a couple of years ago. This year when we stop there in December, we want to take a cab to Orient Beach for the day.

Has anyone taken a beach or is there bus service over from the pier? If so, what's the cost for the service?

Thanks in advance.

Pooh

[b]MILLIE: The Beautiful Med...Barcelona to Venice- 5/15/05[b]
NOS West. Caribbean - 12/10/2005
[b]Summit Hawaii - 4/9/2006
NOS East. Caribbean - 12/02/2006
Infinity Alaska Repo - 5/7/2007
Old October 23rd, 2006, 07:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Sorry -

Re my message about best way and cost to get to Orient Beach from pier: I meant to ask about taxis and buses!

Old October 23rd, 2006, 07:34 PM
First Mate

Here is a link to taxi rates; the cost depends on the number of people taking the taxi - the more, the cheaper it is per person.

http://www.taxisxm.com/rate.htm
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
Mark Twain

Old October 24th, 2006, 10:14 AM
Admiral

On our trip to St. Maarten in June, we took a taxi van to Orient Beach that held 12 people. If I remember correctly, the cost was $12/person one way. All the taxis are at the end of the pier and there was a gentleman coordinating departures and assigning taxis. The group in our van discussed and agreed upon a pick-up time in the afternoon and our taxi driver was there right on time to pick us up.
Old October 24th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Thanks folks....

.....really appreciate your replies. Sure helps to know what to expect cost/wise and options before arriving.

Really appreciate you help.

Pooh

Old October 26th, 2006, 04:09 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default At Club Orient

Down near the sount end of Orient beach, the water is still, and the coral is fantastic. For a great adventure, take the nude catamaran cruise out to Pinel Island. I'm sure you can find the sail times at Club Orient.
Old October 26th, 2006, 11:56 PM
Passenger

We want to go to Orient Beach, and maybe Pinel Island. Are there lockers there to use to lock up our valuables?
Thanks,
kk
Old October 27th, 2006, 06:43 AM
First Mate

I don't remember seeing lockers at any beaches in the Caribbean except at Cozumel, and maybe at Trunk Bay on St. John. We always keep our valuables on us, even when in the water. We each have what is called a water wallet. It is a watersafe container that is about the size of a pack of cigarettes, and into which we put our money, credit cards and ship's ID card. We have them in 2 thicknesses, one about the thickness of a cigarette pack, and one about 1/2 that thickness. They have long strings on them that I loop around my swimsuit strap and then tuck down mine down the front of my suit. My DH has a velcroed pocket on his suit where he puts his waterwallet. We got ours at a dive shop, but you can find waterproof holders at Dick's and other sport shops. We only take our underwater disposable cameras when we go to beaches; that way we don't have to worry about someone taking our good one.

Some people just use double ziplock bags and then put their valuables in a pocket of their swimsuits.

I hope this gives you some ideas.
Mark Twain