Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 24th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Beginner

Default What Happened to All of the Summer 2008 Caribbean Cruises?

My husband and I were interested in the Western/Eastern Caribbean Cruise for next year. When I went to the Princess Web Site, it only shows cruises to the Eastern Caribbean from New York (9 Day). I called Princess and they confirmed that the only Caribbean Cruise during the summer will be the one from New York. The lady that I spoke to had to verify that and was pretty shocked but confirmed that it was the only scheduled cruise.

I also checked other cruise lined and see very little during the summer. Does anyone know what happened? Were they scared off by the hurricanes? We went on a Western Caribbean Cruise a couple of years ago and it it was pretty full so I don't think that occupancy was the reason.
Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2007, 07:51 PM
Admiral

Default Re: What Happened to All of the Summer 2008 Caribbean Cruise

clascola,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
My husband and I were interested in the Western/Eastern Caribbean Cruise for next year. When I went to the Princess Web Site, it only shows cruises to the Eastern Caribbean from New York (9 Day). I called Princess and they confirmed that the only Caribbean Cruise during the summer will be the one from New York. The lady that I spoke to had to verify that and was pretty shocked but confirmed that it was the only scheduled cruise.

I also checked other cruise lined and see very little during the summer. Does anyone know what happened? Where they scared off by the hurricanes? We went on a Western Caribbean Cruise a couple of years ago and it it was pretty full so I don't think that occupancy was the reason.
No, not scared off by hurricanes, though "hurricane season" is one very good reason NOT to plan a cruise to the Caribbean in early fall. The other is the need for a machette to cut through the humidity!

Fundamentally, cruise lines are businesses -- they exist primarily to generate profits for their shareholders, as repulsive as that concept may be to some people. Thus, they deploy their ships to the destinations that they expect to generate the most revenue through the highest fares. Cruises to Europe and to Alaska are consistently generating higher fares than cruises to the Caribbean and to the Mexican Riviera, so all of the major cruise lines have redeployed the majority of their vessels to those destinations.

But if you want to take a seven night cruise in August, Alaska is a much better destination than the Caribbean at that time of year! Alaska's ports of call now offer the most variety of shore excursions of any cruising destination, and the variety includes many physically active shore excursions aimed at teens and young adults.

Norm.
Old July 24th, 2007, 09:57 PM
Beginner

Default Caribbean Cruises

We just got back from the Caribbean. We were hoping for a Caribbean Odyessy Cruise (Western and Eastern routes) for next summer. Bummer. Thanks
Old July 25th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Admiral

Norm it absoutley correct on this point. The demand is in Europe and Alaska for the summer months.Carnival is the only cruise line that i know of that does a full schedule to the Caribbean in the summer, because they don't sail to Europe. The Caribbean in the summer is much to hot and muggy for most cruisers
Old July 25th, 2007, 05:46 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Caribbean Cruises

clascola,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
We just got back from the Caribbean. We were hoping for a Caribbean Odyessy Cruise (Western and Eastern routes) for next summer. Bummer. Thanks
If you want two weeks of cruising in the summer, I really would recommend a cruise to northern or western Europe rather than to the Caribbean.

The Mediterranean also has a lot to offer, but it's much too hot and humid in the summer. The best times of year to go there are in the spring and the fall.

Anyway, have a great cruise -- whatever you decide.

Norm.
Old July 27th, 2007, 12:10 AM
Admiral

Many cruise lines are increasingly migrating North during the summer months. I like HAL, but if you wish to cruise May through September, better plan on Alaska. Most Mediterranean cruises are lengthy. Some people have 2 weeks and 4000 $ to spend, others don't. I've done Alaska twice and enjoyed myself, but there are other interesting places to go as well. Carnival seems loyal to the Caribbean, which does offer more than the beaches, bars, and tee shirt shops that it's famous for. That's why Carnival has won over my business lately . 8)

Read and post cruise reviews

Read and post cruise reviews
/ticker.png">