CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Caribbean & Panama Canal (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/caribbean-panama-canal/)
-   -   We are going to hell (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/caribbean-panama-canal/383685-we-going-hell.html)

Dhill July 12th, 2011 06:45 AM

We are going to hell

I found it once but cant seem to find it again .Can someone tell me is the town of Hell in Jamaica or is it in the Grand Caymans?Wife wants to go on a post card sending trip.How far is Hell from where the ship docks or they tender you to whatever the case maybe?And last but not least is there any other thing to do in Hell besides sending post cards? Well have a good day time to go back to the old salt mine!;)

Donna July 12th, 2011 06:52 AM

Yep, been there, its in Grand Cayman and you'd need a cab to get there, but not too far from pier area. Good place to send off a post card and have a look around, you may be there a whole 10 minutes, but interesting place..

Dhill July 12th, 2011 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donna (Post 1381108)
Yep, been there, its in Grand Cayman and you'd need a cab to get there, but not too far from pier area. Good place to send off a post card and have a look around, you may be there a whole 10 minutes, but interesting place..

I take it the cabs are safe there? Been reading some old posts about Montego Bay sounds like you might not even want to take a cab ride there!;)

Manuel July 12th, 2011 07:17 AM

Grand Cayman is quite safe and the vendors are not pushy.

We have been to Grand Cayman several times and have visited hell twice.
You won't have any problems.

TM

Mike M July 12th, 2011 08:19 AM

Hell is on Grand Cayman. The taxis are safe. There is some crime on Grand Cayman but it is minimal. Grand Cayman is not a "poor" Caribbean island. The current economy has affected them. Our cab driver told us that they actually had a bank robbery in May. That is almost unheard of on Grand Cayman.

Go ahead and take a cab to Hell, send the post card, look at the small rock formation and buy a t-shirt. That's about all you can do there. It's, at most, a twenty minute stop. Most of that will be finding a t-shirt. ;)

Take care,
Mike

Manuel July 12th, 2011 08:28 AM

Go to hell and enjoy it...LOL

TM

Trip July 12th, 2011 10:21 AM

I have never been, but all I have ever heard is people take the trip to say that they have been to Hell. That is a fun thing to have under your belt:) Send some mail home,and enjoy the island. We once ported on the other side of the island,and, I was amazed how much GC looked like Florida:)

Lakers Fan July 12th, 2011 10:27 AM

Hell

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dhill (Post 1381104)
I found it once but cant seem to find it again .Can someone tell me is the town of Hell in Jamaica or is it in the Grand Caymans?Wife wants to go on a post card sending trip.How far is Hell from where the ship docks or they tender you to whatever the case maybe?And last but not least is there any other thing to do in Hell besides sending post cards? Well have a good day time to go back to the old salt mine!;)

I believe there is also a city in Michigan named Hell

Manuel July 12th, 2011 11:58 AM

It's interesting to see the area that gave the place it's name. You really have to see it.
I could describe it but you ahve to see it for yourself to apreciate it.

TM

johnthed0g July 12th, 2011 03:42 PM

IF...you succeed in stopping there!! Notoriously bad for cancelled stops due to weather.

Mike M July 12th, 2011 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnthed0g (Post 1381188)
IF...you succeed in stopping there!! Notoriously bad for cancelled stops due to weather.

Jon,

Yep: Grand Cayman is bypassed because of weather that makes the seas too rough for tendering.

However the notoriety is a bit misplaced. I have been to GC at least eight times and it's never been bypassed.

Take care,
Mike

Trip July 12th, 2011 07:19 PM

Rough seas make tendering so difficult,and I have seen it difficult, in good seas too. The time we ported on the other side of the island was due to rough seas, but the Captain made a call, and, we went around. I have never heard anyone else who did this.

On the way back to the ship, our tender hit a reef,and I mean with a BANG! When they put the tender back up, the hole was quite large, and, it dripped for days.Actually, I was surprised they didn't bring is back to the dock, for another tender.

Donna July 12th, 2011 07:57 PM

Have found the locals in Grand Cayman to be very friendly and not overly pushy. I always enjoyed my stops there. Unfortunately, it is sometimes a missed port due to weather conditions, hoping you have sunny skies and no heavy winds so you can tender.

Kuki July 12th, 2011 09:08 PM

Next to Hell is the turtle farm.

But, I must say that aside from getting "the thrill" of sending a postcard from Hell, in my view, it's a bit of a waste of time.

Grand Cayman also has expensive shopping, so not great for that.

I do enjoy just going to Seven Mile Beach.

The very best thing to do in GC, if you haven't been before, is a trip to Sting Ray City. Fun and pretty original.

LisaK July 13th, 2011 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuki (Post 1381241)
Next to Hell is the turtle farm.

But, I must say that aside from getting "the thrill" of sending a postcard from Hell, in my view, it's a bit of a waste of time.

Grand Cayman also has expensive shopping, so not great for that.

I do enjoy just going to Seven Mile Beach.

The very best thing to do in GC, if you haven't been before, is a trip to Sting Ray City. Fun and pretty original.

couldn't agree more

SunEBeach July 20th, 2011 08:41 PM

Am looking forward to checking the 'trip to hell' off my 'bucket list' rofl
I know there's nothing much there...much like the real thing I'd imagine!
Gotta send the kids a postcard from Hell though!...Hear there are some blow holes near there and some neat natrual phenomena...anyone know for sure?

Trip July 20th, 2011 08:44 PM

Not sure about the blow holes, but just a warning, if they do have them..be careful...on tv tonight, they showed a tourist in Hawaii, who lost his life in a blow hole accident.:(

Donna July 20th, 2011 10:14 PM

I just remember the unique rock formation there, didn't see any blow holes. They may be somewhere, just close to there?

seadog2 July 23rd, 2011 10:04 PM

Been to Hell several times. The last time we were there I went to the local post office and sent some friends back in the states "A post card from Hell".

Manuel July 24th, 2011 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donna (Post 1382531)
I just remember the unique rock formation there, didn't see any blow holes. They may be somewhere, just close to there?

I have been there myself and there are no blow holes. I think that it's worth going there and checking out the rock formation.

TM

ketchum July 29th, 2011 07:05 PM

I am from Michigan:D, there is a hell and it's not far from kalamazoo.;)