Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 3rd, 2000, 01:48 PM
Malissa

Default Airfare from Detroit

I'm planning a 5 day cruise to the Western Carribbean on Carnival March 10-16, 2001 (boat undecided). I'll be traveling with a group of people (how many is unknown at this time) and I was wondering if anyone from Michigan who's flown out of Detroit Metro into Miami can tell me which would be the best way to go: Buy the airfare ourselves or go through Carnival's air/sea program? I've been checking airfare for those dates and the cheapest I've found (roundtrip) has been $400 per person. I'd like it to be cheaper seeing that we're college students and our budgets aren't that high. Anything you can suggest would be great.
Sponsored Links
Old October 4th, 2000, 10:37 AM
alesia

Default RE: Airfare from Detroit

I can't believe you can't figure this out for yourself. I don't know how I got by with out people to take my vacation for me all the years before computers. Try lowestprice.com or fly spirit into Ft. Lauderalde and split an airport express (find them on line) to Miami for about $10 if you have four in the car. I should charge for this. I found it all on my own
Old October 5th, 2000, 09:10 AM
Malissa

I've tried all of those websites but the one's I've been on don't have prices for Spirit or Southwest airlines. Besides I was asking what would be the cheapest way to go, buying my own airfare or buying the air/sea program through Carnival.
Old October 5th, 2000, 09:46 AM
alesia

Have you ever tried searching the web??? in the key word or search area you type Spirit Airlines, and before you know it you are there. Learn to surf. Here is a link you can copy and paste can't you.

http://www.spiritair.com/online/welcome.cfm
Old October 7th, 2000, 10:11 PM
Yeoman

MALISSA, MY HUSBAND AND I ARE TAKING A CRUISE NOV. MY TRAVEL AGENT IN BIRMNGHAM GAVE US THIS ADVICE.
WE PURCHASED AIRLINE TICKETS SEPERATE FROM THE CRUISE. BUT SHE SAID THAT IF THE TRAVEL TIME WE CHOSE WOULD'VE BEEN MORE IFFY IE. SNOW, ICE THAT THEN SHE WOULD ADVISE THE FLY PACKAGE BECAUSE IF YOU ARE DELAYED FOR ANY REASON THE FLY AWEIGH PROGRAM WOULD GET YOU TO THE SHIP AT THE FIRST PLACE THEY COULD, IF YOU PURCHASED TICKETS FROM THE AIRLINE ON YOUR OWN AND FOR ANY REASON YOU DIDN'T MAKE IT IT WOULD BE UP TO YOU TO GET ON.

HOPE THIS HELPS.
Old October 9th, 2000, 08:06 AM
alesia

Are you sure about this info you gave this travler??? if you accept the cruise ins it doesn't matter who does the air you are covered for catch up costs.
Old October 10th, 2000, 01:15 PM
Malissa

I traveled last year on the Triumph with 4 other people and we did the air/sea program then, but we had a horrible time with the airline. We flew Miami air and on the way there we were delayed 2 hours giving us just enough time to get on the boat and get ready for dinner and then on the way home we got stuck sitting in the Miami International terminal for 14 hours. There was something wrong with our plane and they tried taking off with us 3 times each time going back to the terminal. It was so frustrating to have to go through that, not to mention tiring. After sitting for 14 hours we finally got a new plane and to make matters worse, the new plane had less seats than the other one so everyone had to sit in different places and most of the people ended up sitting away from their family or friends.
As you can see I didn't have the best experience with the air/sea program. The only thing that I really appreciated about it was the transfers to and from the docks. We never had to get our luggage or even worry about it, we just got on a bus and went.
Anyway, I would like to know what travel agency you use? You said they were in Birmingham? I've changed my travel plans and am now trying to book on the Inspiration over Easter week with about 11 people. We've gotten one estimate from the travel agency at Hudson's and they want $1400 pp (air included). That is ridiculous cause we only paid $1175 on the Triumph a much newer ship. Does you agent give you good deals?
Sorry this is so long.
Old October 13th, 2000, 02:50 PM
First Mate

HI,
OUR FAMILY CRUISED ON THE ESTASCY LAST MONTH. WE FLEW NON-STOP DETROIT METRO TO FT LAUDERDALE ON SPIRIT AIR. OUR ROUND TRIP COST WAS $190. FROM THE FT LAUDERDALE AIRPORT TO THE MIAMI PIER IS ONLY ABOUT 20 MILES. THE COST WAS $55 ONE WAY BY AIRPORT SHUTTLE. WE TOOK A CAB BACK AND THE COST WAS ABOUT $60. WE ALSO WERE FIRST TO EXIT THE SHIP BECAUSE OUR FLIGHTS WERE OUT OF FT LAUDERDALE, NICE DEAL.
GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN!
Old October 15th, 2000, 10:58 PM
Admiral

hey we flew out of detroit last year but booked it ourself and found it to be ALOT cheaper...this year we are flying out of Flint and saved even more money that what the cruise line could get us....keep checking airfares
Old October 18th, 2000, 09:27 AM
Malissa

That's a great deal. I've changed my plans and now will be flying into New Orleans for a seven day cruise on the Inspiration over Easter week. Do you know if Spirit flys into New Orleans?