Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 25th, 2000, 06:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default What level of SPF do you recommend?

My first cruise will be the Carnival Triumph to the Western Caribbean in Jan. 2001. I hear the sun in the Caribbean more intense than in Indiana so I am looking for waterproof lotions that provide reasonable protection for fair-complexioned skin. I don't use lotion throughout the summer at home and from time-to-time I pay the price with getting sunburnt. Is SPF 15 sufficient, or would SPF 20, 24 or higher be the recommendation? (p.s. The pharmacist has forewarned me to pack some aloe vera gel with lidocaine as a safety precaution.)
Sponsored Links
Old November 25th, 2000, 07:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default RE: What level of SPF do you recommend?

Hi Brian,
I'd go with the higher SPF to start out, you won't regret it. When you out in the sun and you are getting a nice breeze, you don't even feel yourself getting burned until its too late, better safe than sorry. As for the Aloe, great advice. Just be sure to buy it at home first, once your cruising you'll pay dearly for the stuff :-)
Have a great cruise on Triumph. BTW, be sure to get to Sting Ray City in Grand Cayman, its an expierence you don't want to miss.

Donnassei/Sealover
Old November 26th, 2000, 04:24 PM
RoboCop

Brian,
It isn't so much that the actual "Sun" is hotter, (it's the same one <G>), It is just that the angle to the earths surface is so much less. Yes you will need as high a SPF as you can get being used to the Indiana area. Even we here in Florida use higher sunscreen whenever we travel to the Caribbean area because of the intensity of the Sun's rays. Mrs. Robo learned that one time the hard way and she, (and by proxey, me) was a very unhappy person with a serious burn.
Jim
Old November 29th, 2000, 12:16 PM
First Mate

<< It isn't so much that the actual "Sun" is hotter, (it's the same one <G>), It is just that the angle to the earths surface is so much less. >>

Good point, Jim.
Another thing that I try to take into consideration is to remember to reapply as necessary. And this can be often if you are swimming or sweating! Actually, I was once told by a doctor that after SPF 30, there is very little difference in the actual protection provided. Especially if you are in and out of the water frequently.
Last point ~ please let the sunblock "soak in" or dry before swimming in any tropical reef areas. The fishies will appreciate it!
Susan
Old November 30th, 2000, 02:12 PM
Malissa

The best thing I can suggest to you is to go to a tanning booth about a month before your cruise. I went on the Triumph last April (first cruise) and was worried that I would get burned the first day and be miserable the rest of the trip. So I decided to get a base tan by going to the tanning booth about 3 times a week. I started out at 5 minutes and increased my time to 25 minutes. On the cruise I brought SPF 15 & 30 (just in case) and I used the 15 the first day and never touched it again. I did burn some but it turned into a tan right away that I barely even noticed it. By time the cruise was over I had a beautiful golden tan. Of course tanning is harmful so having some protection (SPF 15) is probably the best way to go.
Hope this helps. Enjoy your first cruise!!!!
Old November 30th, 2000, 04:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Malissa,
You brought up a good point about going to the tanning spa. I always say I will do it and just never found the time. Boy, have I paid dearly for that. Will sure do it for this next cruise, thanks for that tip.

Donnassei/Sealover
Old December 5th, 2000, 12:22 PM
Malissa

I'm glad I could help. I know that going to the tanning booth before my cruise helped me a bunch. I barely ever burned the entire trip and that's rare because I almost always burn.