Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 19th, 2001, 02:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default balcony vs standard outside room

My family (myself, husband & 2 kids ages 12 & 14) are sailing on the Elation in June. We have a standard outside room booked on the main deck. I am seriously considering upgrading to a category 12 suite. I hate to spend all the extra money but after all it is our vacation and we don't take one like this but every 3 years or so. I'm concerned about a 7 day cruise with 4 of us in one small room! Also a balcony sounds wonderful!! Any advice??
Sponsored Links
Old March 19th, 2001, 04:21 PM
dsw

Default Re: balcony vs standard outside room

Never had a balcony before, but I totally agree with you. We always seem to put ourselves last. If there is anyway you can do it and not feel quilty - go for it. I am sure the kids would love to sit out on the balcony at night and not have to be in the same room as you all the time. I know I would want one if I was sharing with my kids. ha ha

Enjoy
Old March 19th, 2001, 06:34 PM
Bryce

If you can afford it go for it. When we sailed with our children, we were hardly ever in our cabin. With all the activities going on we weren't in our cabins much, but in the evenings it would be an added benifit.
Old March 19th, 2001, 08:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Shirley,
I say if you can afford the balcony, go for it. I always get a balcony cabin now after having one, its absolutely wonderful. You will spend more time in your cabin when you have one and I bet the kids will get a thrill out of it as well. Just give your travel agent a call and see if there is one available, good luck!

Donnssei
Old March 19th, 2001, 08:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks so much for your input. I called the travel agent today and she is checking out the suite situation for me. Since we're not spending any money on airfare this time I feel like we should "go for it". Being that it is a 7 day cruise is what really got me to thinking about the larger room & balcony. Having a little room service & coffee out on the balcony in the morning sounds heavenly. . . .Not to mention a little moonlight in the evening . . . .

Thanks everyone!! I just love these message boards!! So informative!!
Shirley
Old March 19th, 2001, 08:56 PM
Admiral

Hi again Shirley,
Sure that you will all love the balcony, hope the travel agent comes up with something for you, enjoy!

Donnassei :-)
Old March 21st, 2001, 07:53 PM
First Mate

Save your money, Shirley.

The time you spend in your cabin will be sleeping or showering and changing clothes. You'll most likely seldom see your kids (Carnival has excellent kiddy programs) and you couldn't pick a better itinerary (I've taken it 8 or 9 times)
Enjoy!

Gary
Old March 21st, 2001, 08:01 PM
Yeoman

go for the balcony, it is heavenly to sip a cup of coffee early in theAM,. or share a glass of wine (or whatever) late at night. We used ours quite a bit. I liked to keep the door propped open at night and hear the waves, it was so restful. Our next cruise is on the Imagination in May, we are sad not to have a balcony this trip, just a window, but on our next. we will definitely spring for the balcony. They are small, but I have such fond memories.......
Old March 22nd, 2001, 11:19 AM
Cruise Maniac

Well I did it! We are now booked in a suite with a balcony. I am so excited! This will be our 3rd cruise. It will be our first 7 day cruise and our first with the kids. I think we will love having the bigger room and balcony to enjoy. We may actually spend a little time in the room this trip. I think with a 7 day cruise it will be worth spending the extra money. We shall see. . . . Thanks so much to everyone that replied and gave me their opinon!! We don't sail until June - I can't wait!!!
Old March 22nd, 2001, 04:05 PM
Admiral

Hi Shirley,
I bet you will just love it, enjoy it. Now, you will never go back to the standard cabin, at least its very difficult, have fun.

DOnnassei
Old September 23rd, 2001, 08:53 PM
Admiral

Hi Shirley,

My husband and 2 children (ages 13 and 11) are going on the Elation 7-day cruise on Dec. 16th, 2001. All of our decisions have been made except for the cabin categories. I agree with you about having the extra room.....my husband and son don't really mind being cramped, but my teenage daughter and I have lots of "stuff".
Also, it looks like the small divider in the room would give "some" privacy....(for G-rated cuddling, of course)!
Anyway, the extra cost is substantial.....so my question is:
Since you "went-for-it", do you think it was money that was well-spent? Would you upgrade again? Any tips on which cat. 12 cabin to choose? (availability right now is U75,79,83,87,93,101,102,103,108,112). How do you decide? (I guess I should let our TA do that.....).

Any other suggestions/comments???

THANK YOU FOR YOUR ADVISE AND YOUR TIME.

karen