Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 6th, 2001, 10:58 PM
Braves Fans

Default Carnival credit card

Can anyone tell us any specifics about the Capital One/Carnival credit card? We received some information in the mail today, however, there is nothing in the information that states how many points need to be accumulated in order to use them for a cruise. For example, you can earn one point for every dollar charged on the card, but this doesn't tell us how many points equal cruise dollars (if that makes sense). Anyone familiar with this?
Sponsored Links
Old July 6th, 2001, 11:29 PM
Beth Davis

Default Re: Carnival credit card

Hi Braves Fan,

Once you sign up with Capital One, they will mail you out a packet which includes the complete rewards list along with many terms and conditions. Read carefully. It did not suit me because I am a solo cruiser, and one of their conditions is that you must book double occupancy. MBNA has a cruise rewards program that can be used by those travelling solo, and offers a $500.00 & $800.00 dollar coupon to be used towards a cruise (corresponds to points earned). Only stipulation, you must book through MBNA''s travel office. I do not know your travelling status, but do read all the conditions. I canceled my Capital One credit card with just one phone call - they were very understanding.

Carnival Fun Rewards List ($1.00 spent = 1 point earned)
Champage or Fruit Basket: 700 pts
Upgrade to Ocean View Stateroom: 4,000 to 10,000 depending on length of cruise
Extra Savings on BEST Cruise Offer: 9,000 to 46,000 depending on savings amount
. . .

Free Cruise for Two: 40,000 to 100,000 pts depending on cabin, cruise length, & certain bookings only

I hope this helps. Please feel free to e-mail me if you need any further help.

Sincerely,
Beth
e-mail: bethanndavis@msn.com
Old July 7th, 2001, 01:14 AM
Cruise Maniac

I don't have that one, but I can tell you that it takes 220,000 membership reward points on AMEX to go on a carribean cruise for 7 days for 2. Basically, you have to spend THOUSANDS!!
Old July 7th, 2001, 09:54 AM
Braves Fans

Thanks for the information. After reading some of the details, there are about 5 Carnival ships that don't participate in the Capital One program, so I don't know if it looks like a good deal to us. Most of the non-participating ships (i.e., Triumph) are the ships that we were interested in...oh well...
Old July 7th, 2001, 05:37 PM
First Mate

Hi Braves Fan,

My wife is a Travel Agent and we also have a Carnival Capitol One Card. Here is the information that may be helpful...
Your cruise purchased is financed over a 24 month period at a fixed monthly rate. You will get an established credit limit for purchasing the cruise and the remainder can be used to make other purchases where MasterCard is accepted. You must use a Travel Agent or book through Carnival Reservations to be eligible for 24 fixed monthly payments.

Rewards: Rewards redemption is based on double occupancy. Holiday departures may be excluded. Reward points are earned are 1 pt for every $1.00 of purchase (exclusive of cash advances and checks). You can also earn points for each dollar transfered from another account up to 3,000 pts. No pts earned on finance charges, etc. Free cruise for 2...Applicable to interior staterooms (4a) and oceanview (6a) and are assigned by Carnival. Does not apply to Balconies or Suites. So you kinda know here there are certain restrictions.

Rewards List: Free Cruise for 2: 7 days...Interior 86,000 pts, 5 days...Interior 65,000 pts. Its about 10,000 more pts for an oceanview cabin. To save $1,000 on a cruise its 18,500 minimum (off-season). So you've kinda got an idea how this works.

Now, there is nothing in the mailings we've got from Capitol One that state there is any "non-participating" ships. Because my wife is a travel agent and she needs to be informed of these things...she called Capitol one and Carnival and they both said there are no "non-participating" ships. Carnival did say that the only reason you may have a problem is if the ship/sail date is sold out. She even checked a sailing that departs at the end of this month on the Triumph and found that you could use the Capitol One card to finance. In fact, the print out my wife has on the program says "Financing is available on all cruise departures".

Here's how the program works...you must book your cruise through a travel agent...once you get your confirmation number then you call a special 1-800 # and apply for the card. You give your confirmation number to the rep and they pull up your cruise info. so that they will know that its a new booking and how much is owed on the cruise (I think it helps to have deposited the cruise). They ask questions and within 60 seconds they will let you know if you qualify for the card and how much of a credit limit they will give you.

Hope this helps as well....I financed $1,965. and my payments are $104.00 a month. My finance charge is 19.80%. Also, there is a membership fee which they charge on a monthly basis of $4.00. I plan to have this card paid off before the 24 months...saving me on finance charges.

Hope this helps...I dont think its too bad in that most people cannot come up w/the final pmts by the due dates...this helps in that area. It gives them more time to pay the cruise in full before they sail...if they want.