Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 20th, 2001, 04:34 PM
Admiral

Default Vivincali and small children

Yes, we do have kids and they are well adjusted and overall great kids. However, we need our time too. When we go on a cruise the kids stay home! when they are older (12) and can appreciate the cruise we will take them with us. Inconsiderate parents who take an infant or toddler on a cruise amazes me. We see parents on tours pushing a baby stoller! That is ridiculous. Why??? When we have our wonderful meal in the dining room, the last thing we want to hear is a crying baby or screaming toddler....it is'nt Mcdonalds. Cruises are not kid oriented. Sure the cruise line will have things for kids to do(like a daycare)....but that is because they want mommy and daddy's money for the cruise. But that does not change the fact that cruises are basically young adult to older adult oriented. Of course, some parents will bring babies and toddlers and will be upset at my viewpoint. Thats okay . As long as my wife and I don't have to share a dinner table with a crying baby or unruly toddler we will tolerate it. thanks
Sponsored Links
Old September 20th, 2001, 04:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Vivincali and small children

A sit-down dinner with children is neither fun for other guests or the parents themselves if the kids start making noise.

BUT, you know, there are people who are less fortunate than you who cannot rely on others to watch their children (i.e. no grandparents or relatives). And, with limited vacation time awarded by employers, why would we want to exclude our children? Isn't that a bit selfish??

Thanks for tolerating. I will tolerate your view, too.

But aren't there as many adults, who in their drunken stupor, can be worse than children??
Old September 20th, 2001, 07:32 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Mark Send a message via Yahoo to Mark

I think you need to eat in your cabin...thats just my opinion. I'm raising my little girl and she is the apple of her daddy's eye.A vacation without her would not be a vacation.Obviously you will feel differently when you have kids.I know if she acts up to excuse myself and leave the dining room.Usually she is full of entertaining antics that make for great conversation and amazement.I also think if you needed to be re-seated you could have been.Sorry to put you on BLAST but I must
respectfully disagree with your post.

Mark
Old September 20th, 2001, 08:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Bravo......I agree. I have no problem finding a family member to babysit once a year while we go on an ADULT cruise. Mark.....Disney cruises caters to familys with kids......
Old September 20th, 2001, 08:51 PM
Admiral

Default Sandy

Unruly drunk adults is not the same......Ship security can deal with them....unfortunately many parents CANT control their kids
Old September 20th, 2001, 09:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

Some people don't have family to babysit for them.
Are you suggesting we hand your children off to strangers to go on a vacation without the kids? Or that couples with children should only be allowed to go to Disneyland?

And, yes, Disney Cruise would be nice. However, if you're in the West Coast: 1) You don't want to fly 6 hours just to get to Florida, especially in light of what happened recently; and 2) How much would such vacation cost? For some, it may just be out of their range.

So, how's this... Since Carnival sells itself as a "Fun Ship" for family, if you want a nice, sophisticated atmospher, spend the money and go on a premium cruise with limited activities for family. You'll probably find less children there.

Believe me, I know what you mean that children can just be truly annoying, especially when they are not yours. And some places are inappropriate for children. I would never dine out at a five-star restaraunt with my kids in tow. But this is Carnival we are talking about? Not a dinner at Spago's!
Old September 21st, 2001, 07:38 PM
Vivincali

I'm sorry, I think I misunderstood you, Rick. Inconsiderate?

It would be my opinion that I could describe a parent who leaves their toddler at home for a week is, um, lets see, selfish!!

How is it ridiculous that a toddler go and explore the world? My son is 4 and I will definetly take him on the tours to see a part of the world he has never seen.

Not all toddlers are unruly. Maybe they are unruly because their parents don't spend time with them and they are looking for attention. I don't know, Rick, just a guess.

I hope you are not planning to go on Ecstacy this weekend, cause ME AND MY TODDLER will be there.
Old September 21st, 2001, 08:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!! I agree. This is always a good one to get people to a boil. Seems people think I should enjoy there crying children and the mess they make. Oh isn't Joey cute? Then they drop them off at camp carnival and want strangers to watch there kids. Oh boy what a vacation for the kids.
Old September 21st, 2001, 09:16 PM
Admiral

Thank goodness we won't be on that cruise........oh what a shame we will not be able to enjoy your TODLERS cute little antics lol Good cruising to you and yours...serious
Old September 23rd, 2001, 11:27 AM
Passenger

First of all this is America, right? Land of the FREE. If people want to take their children on a cruise that is there right. Many people don't control their children in many different situations. I have children but have been disgusted at a baseball game when parents sit a row behind their children who were a row behind me constantly spilling drinks, popcorn, hitting my group with their toys and objects and I had to say something to them several times before there parents chimed in. So let's be reasonable. There will be children on cruises. There will be parents who do a great job and others who don't. Sharing a family vacation is a joy for parents and many fortunate parents can go on enough vacations that they choose some with and some without kids. This idea that you are go on a public vacation with 2000 other people and want those with children to leave them at home is crazy. And I dare say at this time when all Americans are thinking of acceptance of others. It is ludicrous. We all have our opinions but you can't control the people and their desire to bring their children on a beautiful vacation. And why should anyone want to do that? If you see an unruly child, try being a part of that elusive brotherhood all Americans seem to be trying to achieve right now and gently tell them to be civilized! And by the way Camp Carnival is for the children so why would try to demean that. We have cruised before and the camp carnival was great. It is not a daycare center or a drop the kids for the entire cruise place. It is a way for children to interact with other children just as all the adults on the cruise are trying so desperately to do. Quit slamming people and offer good information that can help? And no leaving the kids at home is not good advice.
Old September 23rd, 2001, 08:01 PM
First Mate

Not all parents want to exclude their children on a wonderful, perhaps once or twice in a lifetime vacation. I am a single parent and am taking my 8 year old son on our first cruise in December. This is a big deal for us. As far as a Disney Cruise, would love to, but maybe all of us cannot afford it. Does that mean we have to stay home because we might offend some of you narrow-minded people with our children?!! Carnival is advertised as a FAMILY ship, so maybe you should rethink your travel plans!!
Old September 28th, 2001, 10:53 PM
Vivincali

Hey Ricky,
Just got back from a wonderful vacation, with my 4 year old, mind you.

He absolutely loved Kids Carnival, and was immediately attached to the wonderful care givers.

He behaved in the formal dining room, and I had a great time knowing he was safe and happy when I was doing my thing.

I was able to spend quality time with my son, and, oh my gosh, NOT ONE TANTRUM!

Like I said before, must be because I do devote most of my time and energy to my child.

Next time you cruise, look for the special senior crowd boat. Although you will probably complain about how old everyone is.
Old November 13th, 2001, 01:56 PM
Therese

it will horrify you to know that cruises are now being promoted by Australian travel agents as the "ideal family vacation for families with your children"

We try to take an international vacation every 2 years, and will next year take our 4 year old to Alaska. We believe it is all part of his learning.

Our initial plan was to take him to Europe, though a cruise sounded more appealing than dragging him from train to train etc, as we had done on our vacations before we were blessed with this little guy.

We have taken Thomas to Hong Kong and even hiking around Tasmania, and we feel proud that he has been exposed to so much from an early age. He has visited nearly every state in Australia.

Family vacations like this give children a chance to mingle with others from different cultures etc and will hopefully result in them being far less insular in the future. It's a BIG world out there!

our child has never been babysat and we are not about to leave him with relations in another hemisphere because this happens to be a more convenient and economical time to realise one of our many dreams.

ThereseRick wrote:
>
> Yes, we do have kids and they are well adjusted and overall
> great kids. However, we need our time too. When we go on a
> cruise the kids stay home! when they are older (12) and can
> appreciate the cruise we will take them with us.
> Inconsiderate parents who take an infant or toddler on a
> cruise amazes me. We see parents on tours pushing a baby
> stoller! That is ridiculous. Why??? When we have our
> wonderful meal in the dining room, the last thing we want to
> hear is a crying baby or screaming toddler....it is'nt
> Mcdonalds. Cruises are not kid oriented. Sure the cruise
> line will have things for kids to do(like a daycare)....but
> that is because they want mommy and daddy's money for the
> cruise. But that does not change the fact that cruises are
> basically young adult to older adult oriented. Of course,
> some parents will bring babies and toddlers and will be upset
> at my viewpoint. Thats okay . As long as my wife and I