Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 16th, 2001, 01:20 PM
Passenger

Default Canceled on the Holiday!!

I have already paid in full for my cruise and bought my tickets from American Airlines. I was checking the web site this morning and found out that the Southern Caribean cruise I paid for is now a cruise from Alabama to the Western Caribbean. I am so angry that I almost can't type. Does this happen often? Can anyone tell me what I should do. The tickets I bought from American Airlines are non-refundable so I am kinda locked-in dates and destination.

Please help!!
Sponsored Links
Old November 16th, 2001, 02:52 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Canceled on the Holiday!!

When you paid for your cruise, where were you told the port of departure would be?
Old November 16th, 2001, 02:54 PM
Admiral

Default Re: add on

Have you talked to CCL cust svc about this?
Old November 16th, 2001, 03:07 PM
Passenger

Faxed confomation from Carnival shows cruises leaving from San Juan - Visting St. Thomas, Tortola, Dominica, Martinique, Barbados, and St. Kitts. They are running it right now, but the last cruise is Feb 9, 2002, a full month before the cruise date that they took my money for. :0(
Old November 16th, 2001, 03:10 PM
Passenger

Travel Agent and I both called Carnival today. They said we are schuduled to be called to discuss options next week. Travel agent said this is the first time this has happened to any of her clients in her 12 years in business.
Old November 16th, 2001, 03:27 PM
Yeoman

I believe they changed the departure point on this cruise because people don't want to fly to Puerto Rico, they somehow think it is more dangerous then leaving out of the mainland US.

If you want a southern Caribbean cruise do some research before you get on this call with Carnival and the TA. Find out what other Carnival and non-Carnival boats go to places you want to go from San Juan on the days you are locked into with your airline tickets. Demand to be put on another ship, ect.

I do think that I remember something in the back of the Carnival brouchure that says "ports can change without notice" so I don't know if they have to honor your request, but it would be good business sense to.

If all else fails there is usually a way to rebook the airline tickets with some penalty fee. Demand that Carnival pay that fee (usually $50-75 per ticket) plus a full refund.

It's too bad that this happened because that sounded like a really awesome cruise, I love the southern caribbean.
Old November 16th, 2001, 03:35 PM
Passenger

Ports I would think yes, departure point no. Moving it to Alabama is a enitrely differnt cruise. It's not even close, or the same number of days. Does Carnival do this kind of thing alot?
Old November 16th, 2001, 03:39 PM
Yeoman

I don't think that Carnival (or any other ship) has done something like this before, so unexpectly. Most ship relocations are announced before any bookings are made. Shows how drastically the world has changed in the last 2.5 months.

Just make sure you know what you want to request before you get on the phone with them. If you just want a full refund and them to pay for your re-booking fee on the airline tickets or if you want them to put you on another ship leaving San Juan that day. Have several options in mind before you talk to them so the situation can be resolved as best as possible.
Old November 16th, 2001, 03:46 PM
Passenger

Michelle,
Thank for the information. I guess in the great scheme of things this isn't such a big deal, I am just upset because I spent 6 months researching cruises before I picked this one for the ports. To have it pulled after I have already purchased my airline tickets is a little unsettling.

I have been checking today and there is a Celebrity Cruise leaving San Juan on the Galaxy one day eariler, its actually even a little cheaper. Maybe I will try it. Carnival Destiny is doing Southern Caribbean also, but its dates are not going to work for us.

Thanks again!!
Old November 16th, 2001, 04:31 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Jennifer

I'd be so irate if this happened to me! I was on another cruise message board page where the featured article was about the Holiday moving to Mobile. It's funny how they make it out to be this wonderful great move! Yet they don't mention anything about those whose vacations they ruined!

Here's the link if you're interested, although it might just make you more mad!

<http://www.cruise-addicts.com/article.php?sid=37&mode=thread&order=0>

Good luck...Give 'em hell! They deserve it.
Old November 16th, 2001, 04:33 PM
Yeoman

It did look like a great cruise, maybe it will get re-assigned back on that route when people start to calm down again. Good luck with the Carnival people.
Old November 16th, 2001, 04:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Sherri,
While I haven't heard of this specific problem before, it's a somewhat similar situation to one we hear about occassionally from all the cruise lines.

People are booked on a particular sailing, then along comes a large company, and charters the entire ship. The cruise lines then notify passengers previously booked to inform them the cruise is cancelled.
End result is like yours.. no cruise.

In the majority of these cases the cruise lines will offer some form of compensation to those people who's cruises they've cancelled.

I'd wait to hear what form of compensation Carnival offers you. You may be pleasantly surprised. Who knows, for the same price you could end up with a balcony cabin on one of their newer ships, with a similar itinerary.
Let us know how it works out.

Regards,
Kuki
Old November 16th, 2001, 07:45 PM
First Mate

Too bad you cant take the Destiny cruise you mentioned earlier. Destiny is a MUCH nicer ship than the Holiday with LOTS of balconies. Good Luck!!!
Old November 17th, 2001, 08:54 AM
Jerry H

YES IT HAPPENS....

We were booked on the Triumph in June when they advised us that our reservation were cancelled. (Carnival had re-sold our assigned rooms.) Six families were traveling together. All were cancelled. Our agent told us that it had happenned before, but he was not aware of other cruise line doing it.Carnival offered to apply our deposit to a future cruise. We selected the July 4th sailing when there were still rooms available. They refused to book at the same price. We later negotiated balcony cabins at the same price on the July 7th sailing. When I studied contract law, a contract was binding.......Cruise Lines don't think so.
Old November 22nd, 2001, 12:27 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Spirit goes to the Southern Carr too

Sherri,

You have the chose of sailing out of Miami on Carnival's newest ship :Carnival Spirit sailing out of Miami to St. Martin, Barbados and Martinique 8 days.

OR

Rccl offeres two brand new ships RAdiance and Adventure of the Seas out of San Juan.

Thanks!
Good LUck
joe