Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 20th, 2002, 10:44 PM
Passenger

Default Carvinal Destiny

Hi all!! I just got back from the Carnival Destiny last night and wanted to say I had a blast!!

The ship could use a little remodeling in places, but all in all it was a good time. The shops are nice, the staff was great and so helpful to us! We had two small children with us and everyone was just great with them.

Our cabin steward, Dee, was awesome! She wanted to know everyone's name when we got there and she remembered everyone's name the whole week. I just thought that was amazing with the number of people that come and go from the ship!

Our head waiter, Asim, was fantastic as well! He was very knowledgable about food and food service and shared some great stories with us from his home country of Croatia. He has been on the ship 7 months now....I can't imagine it!

I think everyone on the ship works very hard to make the stay as memorable as possible! Jorge the Cruise Director was great too. I still think he was a comedian in a former life! The shows that I saw were pretty good. Just wish they would start them a little earlier than 10:30. By the time I toured the island and ate dinner, I was tired and never made it to 10:30 most nights! ! I'm a party pooper!

So, all in all it was a good trip. My favorite islands were St. Thomas and Barbados....would love to go back to those two some day. Martinique was o.k., but just not a lot to do there! And Aruba, well, I could do without that place! The winds are so strong and the sand just pelts you and it hurts! I had welts on my legs and it hurt for a few days! If I don't ever go back to Aruba, I would not be heartbroken!

The Destiny was a great ship and I would highly recommend it!

Kristy
Sponsored Links
Old May 21st, 2002, 03:01 PM
karentoronto

Default Re: Carvinal Destiny

I just got back from Carvinal Destiny and I had a great week.
Loved the entertainment Director Jorge, he was a very funny guy and very knowledge about the ports. Go to the port talks with Jorge.

The dinning room staff was great Carlos our waiter made you feel great and he was funny.

The tours were great, in Aruba the butterfly farm was great the tour guide was great and very informative about the butterflies. Didn't not enjoy Martinque, the tour we took was not that great-St. Pierre.

The stores on board are really great, so is the staff.

Our room steward Pedro was very nice and helpful. Loved the animals he made.

Only one problem and that was the smoking on board-there are some places that you can;t smoke. I took the Paradise last year it was great, I highly recommend that for all those non smokers.
Old May 21st, 2002, 06:19 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Carvinal Destiny

Thank you both for your reviews, we sail on the Destiny this Sunday. I haven`t cruised Carnival in 9 years so am a little aprehensive, we have been sailing Holland America. A few questions: what time do they allow you to board? and about how long are you waiting? what is a good time to arrive at the pier? we are staying a pre night at the Condado. Is there wheelchair assistance available? my hubby is disabled. We have been to all the ports several times so probably will only get off the ship in STT and Barbados, is there much to do near the port in Barbados? thanx for any and all info.....jean
Old May 22nd, 2002, 09:00 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Carvinal Destiny

Jean -

I'll try to answer your questions:

1) I think they told us we could start boarding the ship at 2:00 or 2:30, but we went to the pier about 1:30 and they were boarding already!

2) The lines move very quickly. You first go through security and then on to get your Sail & Sign cards & picture. I think that's it for the line. I was surprised how quickly it moved actually!

3) Seems like everything is wheelchair accessible. Lots of ramps and elevators.

4) Lots of shopping in Barbados! There is a large complex near the port for shopping and then some smaller shops within a short walking distance. I highly recommend the Calypso Rum Cakes from Barbados! Yum!! I also bought some local rum in Barbados...it's tasty too!!

St. Thomas is a great place too. There are a lot of shops within walking distance at St. Thomas too. I would suggest going to Carnival's talk on the ports and where to shop. Granted Carnival probably gets some $$ from the shops they recommend, but it's a great informational talk about the islands too.

I know you will have a wonderful time!

Happy Sailing!

Kristy
Old May 23rd, 2002, 12:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Carvinal Destiny

I was on the Destiny last year and loved it! Beautiful ship and it's decorated beautiful too. Food was great, service and entertainment was impecable. I loved Aruba and would love to go back however, St. Lucia was the pitts!