Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 7th, 2002, 10:07 PM
First Mate

Default Carnival Pride art

I was reading on another message board about the "Pride being loaded with "Renicance Art"(Naked people)?" This may not be appropriate for children."

Now, I know that you can only protect and censor children from so much. I know that there may be some when you are traveling and I expect that, but is it excessive?

I look at the pictures from this site and saw a nude statue in David Supper Club, is that it? Or is there more?
Sponsored Links
Old June 7th, 2002, 11:27 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Carnival Pride art

As I remember, there is renaissance art (naked people ) all over the ship....some being nude..mainly breasts.......I don't think it is anything you need to worry about since the reproductions there can be found in classic art books worldwide. It is done in good taste and should be no problem for kids. The Pride is a beautiful ship. Speaking of David....we dined at Davids and really enjoyed the atmosphere...service....food presentation.....quality of the entrees. Have a great cruise!

Old June 8th, 2002, 10:09 AM
Passenger

Yes, there is a nude statue in David's, but I believe that is the only nude statue on the ship. There is "naked art" throughout the ship, and I did feel it was a bit excessive. It seemed it was staring you in the face at every corner. We were traveling with our 14-year old son, who it didn't seem to phase - a few comments out of him here and there. The friends we were traveling with had left their children at home, but my girlfriend made the comment that she could only imagine the comments that their 8-year old son would have come up with! I can tell you that my parents, who are in their 70's and definitely from the old school, would have been very offended at all of the naked art around. I know that there are many people who would look at it as just that, "art", and be okay with it, but my parents would definitely think it was out of hand. I guess it just all depends on the person, and the children they are traveling with, how old they are and how they could handle it. Sorry this is so long.

Sensation ~ 4/99
Oceanic ~ 3/98
Atlantic ~ 3/95
Atlantic ~ 9/92

"I have a caribbean soul that I can barely control"...
as sung by Jimmy Buffett.
Old June 10th, 2002, 02:03 PM
Admiral

This is Renaissance period art. Before you cruise, stop at your local library and take out a Picture book for this period. You can discuss these masterpieces with your family. It will be emazing for the kids to see the size of the murials and likenesses on board ship. With over 300 kids on board our cruise, I never heard or say any kids making comments.
Bon Voyage
Old June 11th, 2002, 11:01 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Carnival Pride art

Rick, you're back. Did they finally let you out?<g> When do you have to report back?

Regards,
Thomas
Old June 13th, 2002, 01:18 PM
First Mate

i was on the Pride on 5/25 and didn't even notice the naked art. it's no big deal.
Old June 20th, 2002, 03:24 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Carnival Pride art

Just back from the 8/8 Pride. Yup, lots of naked art everywhere. It's not all "high quality" Renaissance art -- for example, Beauties Disco is decorated with neon colored male and female torsos. On the other hand, our kids weren't traumatized and by the end of the week we had stopped noticing the nudity (except for the huge wall-sized mural of the lady with her hand on her crotch outside the Normandie on Deck 3. That was a little hard to ignore, although we did see lots of people getting their pictures taken in front of it!). When you combine the artwork with dark couches and electric candelabra in some parts of the ship, we're definitely talking funeral home decor. The opera and new age background music in the dining room were interesting too . . . but we had a wonderful time, and can't wait to see what Carnival does with its next ship!. To offset the art, some real pluses for the Pride are (1) the multiple pools/lots of deck chairs; (2) the great food and multiple choices in the Mermaid Grille, (3) the chairs were very comfortable; and (4) even though the dining room is huge, there are many areas with a very cozy feel. We didn't feel crowded on the Pride, even though it was fully booked. .