Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 17th, 2002, 06:59 PM
Lonny

Default St.Thomas

We are going on the Destiny in the spring and wanted to find out what excursions anyone who has been there(St.Thomas) would recommend. What are the highlights. Are there any tours that we can do our selves that anyone can recommend?

We have 2 kids ages 8 and 11.

Thank you very much
Sponsored Links
Old July 17th, 2002, 07:25 PM
Passenger

Default Re: St.Thomas

In St. Thomas, we rode the Paradise Point Tramway. The tramway is actually a gondola, and our 14-year old son got a kick out of riding the gondola. The tickets on the Pride were $12.00 each, but at the Tramway station, they were $15.00. It is a short walk from the ship. One word of caution - we saw a couple in front of us who had purchased tickets for the Tramway on the ship, and the woman was struggling walking with a cane. When we reached the tramway, the only way to reach the loading area for the gondolas was by going up (and obviously going down when you left) tons and tons and tons and tons of steps. The lady in front of us simply wasn't able to do it, and when we walked by them, they were worried as to whether or not they could get their money back for the tramway ride. Any healthy person can do it, but a person with any kind of limited mobility or handicap would have a very hard time, if they could make the steps at all. In any event, when you reach the top of the 700' mountain, which was a 5-minute ride, there were a few shops, and a place or two to get refreshments. The view was breathtaking and spectacular!! You could see the island, the beautiful blue waters of the Caribbean, the St. Thomas harbor which is gorgeous, and the dock. There were 3 ships in port the day we were there, and we got some beautiful pictures!! This is definitely an excursion that my family and I would take again! Have a great time!!

Sensation ~ 4/99
Oceanic ~ 3/98
Atlantic ~ 3/95
Atlantic ~ 9/92

"I have a caribbean soul that I can barely control"...
as sung by Jimmy Buffett.
Old July 17th, 2002, 07:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Lonny,
I'd strongly recommend some snorkeling over at St. Johns/Trunk Bay. You can do this with a ship tour or just grab a taxi at the pier and head out to Red Hook Ferry and once on St. John just another shorter cab ride to the beach. The island is beautiful and the snorkeling is pretty good too, the kids will love the beach, just picture postcard beautiful.

If you don't care to snorkel and just like a nice beach, there is always Meagans bay right in St. Thomas, just get on another cab at the pier. Hopefully you will still have some time when you get back for shopping either downtown or by the pier at Havensight mall.

Enjoy St. Thomas and the cruise!

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 17th, 2002, 07:28 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

Either one of the catamaran excursions would be my choice, the champagne catamaran being my favorite.

Jodi

Old July 18th, 2002, 07:56 AM
Cruise Maniac

I don't suggest booking any tours for any of the islands through the ship. It's more expensive and you can do the same things from one of the 100's of tour guides waiting for you as you walk off the ship. For $15 in St. Thomas we took a tour of the island up to the mountain top, drank bannana daquiri's, went shopping and also to Megan's Bay which I would not recommend. People told us to go there but it wasn't anything great at all. From what I hear Trunk Bay is great. Have fun....the Destiny was a great time!
Old July 18th, 2002, 08:04 AM
Edy

I agree with Donna on Trunk Bay! Megan's bay is beautiful, but for those who haven't been to Trunk Bay, it is not to be missed. The kids can snorkel if they want, or just swim in the beautiful water. It has a white sand beach. The most beautiful I have ever seen. We have been there 3 times and will be there again on our next cruise! Also, there are showers and you can get food and drinks there! We did the ship tour on the Island Girl yacht. It is a very nice sail over to Trunk Bay.
Old July 18th, 2002, 03:48 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: St.Thomas

I think that the kids would really enjoy Coral World and Coki Beach. Check out Coral World online www.coralworldvi.com there is a coupon there. Coki Beach has great snorkeling, lots of fish to look at due to the marine park being right next to it. Coral World has showers and lockers that you can use if you want to snorkel at Coki.
Old July 20th, 2002, 12:15 PM
Full Moon

Default Re: Re: Re: St.Thomas

I could not agree with with Michelle more. My wife and I took our three kids to St. Thomas two years ago. We snorkled at all three of the sites mentioned and though all three were great, I would recommend Coki Beach. It offers everything, it is on the island, the fish are incredible, there are people teaching scuba and braiding hair, and last but not least -Coral World.

Have a great trip.

Mike
Old July 20th, 2002, 10:01 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Coki Beach is a good choice; Trunk Bay can be overrun with tourists and is not as good as some other, more remote sites on St. John's like Cinnamon Bay or Hawksnest Bay.