Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 2nd, 2002, 12:16 PM
Passenger

Default Montego Bay

I need soem help! I have a problem deciding what excursion to do in MBJ. I am sailing on the Inspiration on October 27. I think that 2 hours each direction to see Dunns River is too much. But I have never been there and I have heard it is a must see. I have heard the YS falls are great too and closer to MBJ. HELP

Bethany
Sponsored Links
Old October 2nd, 2002, 02:50 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Montego Bay

Hi, we skipped Dunns River Falls for the same reason. We took the excursion that had snorkling, and a stop at Margaritaville. But, if I did it again, I wouldn't book a ship excursion, I'd do more research and book through a recommended company by listening to people from cruisemates. Our boat that took us out was pretty pathetic, and there were many others out there that were better. The snorkling was FANTASTIC! Have fun.
Old October 2nd, 2002, 03:13 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Montego Bay

Thank you!
I really appreciate the help. We problably will skip the Dunns falls thing.

Thank you again

Bethany
Old October 3rd, 2002, 03:42 PM
Happy Camper

Default Re: Re: Re: Montego Bay

We had a great time on the same snorkel tour there. Be very careful getting anything on your own and if you do go with a recommended tour group you find from people on these boards that have gone. It is dangerous there. I would not do the tour to the falls - not that impressive - and way too far - wait till you have a stop on your next cruise in Ochos Rios - the falls are very close to there. There are always riots and killings in Kingston and really it is not safe so keep your eyes open and do NOT wear any diamonds or jewelry other than something simple. You have to understand your diamond ring could pay for years of salary for these people. It is beautiful there but poor. We also did the River Rafting at High Mountain - much closer than the Martha Brea and good. Pieceful rafting - something different. Be careful if you take a taxi to town. It is 15 minutes or 45 depending on traffic and the people in Jamaica will hound you - just know ahead of time so you expect it. Be very careful if you hire a cab. Bring dollars to tip. They will probably have a steel band when you get off the ship playing for you and others that you may want to tip. If you have been there before - sorry for all the warnings.. Debbie
Old October 3rd, 2002, 04:27 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Montego Bay

Thank you debbie for that info!
That helps me a lot too. I will be with 3 other people, and after hearing that stuff I think we will do some excursion with the ship. I am still a little confused but I have a littel bit of time to decide.

Thanks again!

Bethany
I will be wearing no jewelry and I wont carry a purse! Thanks for the warning!
Old October 5th, 2002, 05:50 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Lkw329
Default Re: Montego Bay

Hey we are on the same cruise. I am going with my husband sister and her boyfriend.
Hope to see you on board.

Keep the storms away we have had enough.

Lisa. E-mail
Old October 6th, 2002, 09:07 AM
Yeoman

MB is a great city for tourists.....don't let previous reply scare you...we have been there many times to the all-inclusive resorts in MB,Negril, and Ocho Rios, staying 1 and 2 weeks at a time. We have always traveled by taxi to see the island. Yes, the residents do try to make a buck....just like Bahamas and any other island that depends on tourism. The riots referred to in Kingston (which is on the opposite end of the island) are sooooo far away from the tourist spots that it is not a problem. Everyone we ever encountered was very proud of their island and very pleasant and informative on the taxi ride to wherever we were headed. Treat these people with respect and just say no if you don't want to purchase anything and they will leave you alone. PLEASE do not let the above reply scare you. Yes be careful though just as you would any other island. We did Dunns River Falls while staying at Sandals Dunns River as it was included in the price of the resort stay. I thought it was a lot of fun but probably not travel 2 hours to do it. If you cruise again, go when the ship docks in Ocho Rios, it is a short distance from the port. Have fun!!!! Cathy
Old October 7th, 2002, 12:53 PM
Passenger

Hello again!
Lisa: I heard that there is going to be a bunch of people from a 50;s and 60's radio station that had a group going. I was told there is gonna be some big names onboard. A res agent at carnival told me ( I am a travel agent) that Chubby Checker was gonna be onboard but she would not tell me who else. I am getting so excited!

I agree the storms need to be gone I hope to see you too! that would be neat.

Cathy: Thank you for your input to I appreciate it. I have heard so much goodstuff and bad stuff about MBJ. I will just have to see for myself. I still have not fully decided if we are gonna go to the falls yet. The snorkeling sounds fun, but we are doing that when we are in grand cayman.

Bethany