CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   magnet for thermostat (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/189182-magnet-thermostat.html)

HeidiHo October 6th, 2002 06:04 PM

magnet for thermostat

First of all, I'd like to say that this is a great site. I haven't cruised in 16 years and found the reviews and messages VERY informative. I have gotten tons of great helpful hints. We will be cruising on the Pride April 22nd and are really excited. My question is about the thermostats in balcony cabins. Someone on another website mentioned something about using a magnet on the thermostat when you have your bacony door open. He didn't elaborate on exactly how to do this. I e-mailed him but he didn't respond. Anyone know what he was talking about?

HeidiHo October 6th, 2002 06:14 PM

Re: magnet for thermostat

Oops! I goofed. We're cruising on the Pride March 22nd, not April 22nd.

Kuki October 6th, 2002 08:28 PM

I have no idea what use a magnet by the thermostat would be. You'll have to fill me on this one <G>

Ron October 6th, 2002 11:10 PM

Re: Re: magnet for thermostat

I have sailed the Pride twice, just getting back this past Sat.---
I have no idea what the poster could have been talking about re/ a magnet.
I do know that when the balcony door is left open, the A/C will automatically cut itself off, and rightly so in my opinion.

Thomas October 7th, 2002 09:03 AM

When the door to the balcony is open the A/C is turned off by a proximity switch that is magnetically switched at the door. It's the same as the magnetic sensors on home doors and windows for the security system. The switch is mounted on the door frame and the magnet on the door. When the magnet (door) is next to the switch the switch is electrically "closed" and the A/C is energized. When the door opens the magnet no longer "closes" the switch and the switch opens, thereby de-energizing the A/C.

If you put a magnet next to the switch the switch "thinks" (if you will) the door is closed and the A/C is powered. This way you can have the door open and still have the A/C running in the room.

Regards,
Thomas

Mamajules October 7th, 2002 04:37 PM

Don't know anything about the magnet, but wanted to say hey, we're on the Pride March 22nd also. Can hardly wait!

cathy October 7th, 2002 11:54 PM

Ok...now you're scaring me.....so, are you saying if a thief puts a magnet on the window/door switch of my home security, it won't activate if the window/door opens????? I hope it's not the exact same as the door to balconies on the ship! Yikes! And.....if I want to put a magnet on the door frame of the stateroom...will any kind of magnet work to keep the ac on??? Don't laught but......will the refrigerator kind of magnets do the job???? Cathy :)

nushnakka October 8th, 2002 08:28 AM

Re: Re: Re: magnet for thermostat

LOL Cathy! This question scares me and shame on those people who want to do that. Keep your doors closed if you want the cool air and if not then fine open the balcony doors. Wasteful! What would your parents say about that? We all know the answer so don't be wasteful and be mindful.

Thomas October 8th, 2002 11:04 AM

Re: Re: Re: magnet for thermostat

Yes, Cathy, that is correct. If someone puts a magnet in place of the magnet on your window, the security system will not go off when the window opens. The home security systems are really just there to keep out common thiefs and not professionals. But you can try it for yourself. If you look on your window or door you'll see a small rectangular plastic thing and adjacent to it on the window frame is another similar thing but it has wires going to it. The one on the door or window is actually a magnet. The one on the frame is a switch that is magnetically controlled. Open your window and look at your control panel for your security system and you'll see the light go on that one of the windows/doors is open. Now take one of the refrigerator magnets and put it near the switch on the frame. If you have it close enough you'll see the light on the control panel go out indicating the window/door is now closed again.

Regards,
Thomas

Ron October 8th, 2002 10:12 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: magnet for thermostat

Well, the magnet mystery has been solved. But as small as ships cabins are and with the door open, wouldn't it get kinda "sticky" after awhile? I don't think I would worry though about a burgular climbing around on the balconys looking for an open door!!

Thomas October 9th, 2002 08:06 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: magnet for thermostat

Yes, it does get sticky when the door to the balcony is left open, and rather windy too. But in the warmer climates it was nice to leave the door open even though the A/C was off.

Regards,
Thomas