Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 22nd, 2002, 06:33 PM
Fred77

Default Conquest Departure from NO Delayed, Is this more sickness?

The port of New Orleans web cam shows the conquest still in port and has not left, was this delayed because of more sickness, if anyone knows please let us know thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old December 22nd, 2002, 07:00 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Conquest Departure from NO Delayed, Is this more sicknes

It is posted on another cruise board that the people sailing today were told not to come to the port until 4:00 pm. The ship returned with about 50 people sick with the Norwalk Virus so they are disinfecting the ship again. The board says the ship should set sail around 10:00 pm. Hope this answers your question.

Sensation ~ 4/99
Oceanic ~ 3/98
Atlantic ~ 3/95
Atlantic ~ 9/92

"I have a caribbean soul that I can barely control"...
as sung by Jimmy Buffett.
Old December 22nd, 2002, 07:06 PM
Fred77

Default Re: Re: Conquest Departure from NO Delayed, Is this more sic

I hope it is cleared up before Jan 12th when i set sail. I understand this is nature but this was an engagement gift so i would hate for it to be ruined. Is this the only ship still having problems? I know there were some ships last month that had the same problems have they all been cleared up?
Old December 22nd, 2002, 07:20 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Conquest Departure from NO Delayed, Is this more

We sail the 5th, I spoke with Carnival yesterday, they told me that 50 pax and 30 crew members were sick and departure would be delayed today. I'm with you I hope nobody gets sick. However, with over 3100 pax and more than 1200 crew those numbers don't seem very high to me. I know that there have been lots of sick kids at school and church, adults too! I hope you have a great trip, I'm sure you will
Old December 22nd, 2002, 08:09 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

On any cruise, any time, any where, people get sick while on board. You are exposed to viruses and bacteria in an enclosed environment. You also run into people from other parts of the country and even the world. Illness on a cruise is not uncommon; the media hype about it is. Remember last summer when all the talk was about the shark attacks? Well, it turned out that there were actually fewer than normal shark attacks last year - the media just chose to focus on that story, like they have with the Norwalk virus this year.

Old December 22nd, 2002, 09:29 PM
Fred77

I live right outside new orleans (5 min) and I work for law enforcement. I used my credential tonight down at the terminal to get some info and yes people did get sick, These are the exact numbers not a rounded number or media exagerated number. 42 People had flue like symptoms, one since the first day so he may have had it when getting on board. Also 22 crew members.
Old December 22nd, 2002, 10:27 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

That is a MINUTE percentage!!!! That number of pax will get ill on board any cruise. Even on those ships that were "sick ships" no more than 5% of pax and crew got ill - that means 95% did not! If you are worried, wash your hand frequently, don't put your hands near your eyes, ears or mouth unless they have been recently washed. So 50 pax out of a max on 3196 got sick.......that is a VERY small amount!

The cruise lines in this case are damned if they do and damned if they don't....you tell me what they are supposed to do to keep everyone happy?

Old December 23rd, 2002, 07:42 AM
LHP

Fred: We are staying at the new Holiday Inn in Slidell Friday and Saturday night before our cruise Sunday. We want to take the boys to the Quarter Saturday. Is it still fairly safe during the day time if you stay in the Riverwalk and Aquarium area? Thanks
Old December 23rd, 2002, 08:01 AM
BRyder

The French Quarter is generally safe if you stay in crowded areas. Don't walk down side streets unless you see a good bit of foot traffic in the area. The Riverwalk and Aquarium areas should be fine, even at night.

As far as the Conquest departure yesterday, travel agents who had clients booked for this week's sailing received a fax on Friday alerting them to another relatively small outbreak of gastrointestinal illness on last week's cruise. We were told that as a precaution the ship would undergo an extensive cleaning when it docked on Sunday and that we should contact clients and tell them that boarding would be delayed until 4pm and that departure would be scheduled for 8pm. Onboard credits of $15.00 per person were to be applied to compensate for lunch expenses, and passengers were offered the option of cancelling the cruise for a full refund or for credit towards a future cruise.

Bob Ryder
Old December 23rd, 2002, 08:11 AM
Admiral

Now I think that is fair compensation from the cruise lines, seriously! Unlike some other posters who wanted to sue because they got sick, pa-lease. I would not for a moment think about cancelling.
Old December 23rd, 2002, 12:58 PM
Mary Ann

Default Re: Re: Re: Conquest Departure from NO Delayed, Is this more

I agree that was a good offer by Carnival. We are leaving on Saturday on the Pride and I we wouldn't dream of canceling. We are just starting to pack and getting really excited. Hopefuly we all stay healthy during our cruise. If not we will just sue (joke ha ha). Can't imagine anyone suing because of a virus. Should i sue the child who gave mine the chicken pox.

Happy Sailing

Mary Ann & Scott
Old December 23rd, 2002, 04:36 PM
Fred77

NO is safe the only bad times are late at night alone in an ally. So yes it is safe.
Old December 23rd, 2002, 06:10 PM
Brent Mcdaniel

Yes there was a case of 230 sicknesses on borad the conquest returning on th 22 of Dec. They handeled the problem very well. PLease do not let these problems keep you from having a good time. The conquest staff really take all precautions on this problem.
The best one was do not shake hands do the FORE ARM TAP, and take you a bottle of hand sanitizer you will want to use this. So go have the time of your life just be a little more cautious on how tyou do things.

Have a good sail

Brent McdanielBRyder wrote:

> The French Quarter is generally safe if you stay in crowded
> areas. Don't walk down side streets unless you see a good bit
> of foot traffic in the area. The Riverwalk and Aquarium areas
> should be fine, even at night.
>
> As far as the Conquest departure yesterday, travel agents who
> had clients booked for this week's sailing received a fax on
> Friday alerting them to another relatively small outbreak of
> gastrointestinal illness on last week's cruise. We were told
> that as a precaution the ship would undergo an extensive
> cleaning when it docked on Sunday and that we should contact
> clients and tell them that boarding would be delayed until 4pm
> and that departure would be scheduled for 8pm. Onboard credits
> of $15.00 per person were to be applied to compensate for lunch
> expenses, and passengers were offered the option of cancelling
> the cruise for a full refund or for credit towards a future
> cruise.
>
> Bob Ryder
Old December 23rd, 2002, 09:16 PM
RAB

I do not know if the Carnival ship out of New Orleans had mor illness, but I have just heard that Carnivals SPRIT has a break out of illness in the childrens camp facility on Sunda Dec 22nd.
Has any one else heard about this?
Old December 23rd, 2002, 09:54 PM
Fred77

Brent you are wrong the conquest only had 50 people sick
Old December 24th, 2002, 10:34 PM
Worried

Default Re: What about the Holiday?

Any word on whether it has suffered similar viral infections?