Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 16th, 2003, 12:43 AM
Dennis van Rumund

Default Re: Re: Are jeans allowed?

After reading all the posts on this topic, I feel that I will STRONGLY consider NOT be taking a Carnival cruise. Not because of the fine people whose parents considered manners important for a civilized society, but because of those whose parents were selfish and felt that their children were less important then themselves.
Old January 16th, 2003, 06:55 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Are jeans allowed?

I got my docs and looked at the dress code, it states "We suggest formal attire: cocktail dress for women; a dark suit or tuxedo for men. On the other evenings you can dress casually for dinner; that includes sport shirts for men and slacks for women". Again it's in the interpretation but to me it is clear NO JEANS.

Golden Princess 12/04
Galaxy 1/04
Elation 2/03
Enchantment of the Seas 4/02
Fantasy 11/01
Triumph 4/01
Sensation 4/97
Old January 16th, 2003, 07:40 AM
Passenger

U guys crack me up!!! Enough on this topic already. People will wear what they want, there is no changing that. I myself wont be wearing jeans, but if someone does wont impact my cruise. After all will give some peopel something to talk about and have a good laugh!
Old January 16th, 2003, 09:58 AM
Dennis Van Rumund

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Are jeans allowed?

True, it is a nothing subject, which I feel should not be an issue, but I am sure that those who have no manners at dinner have a tendancy to behave badly in other areas, which can impact my good time, like not bathing, getting drunk and puking up in the pool. Picture some big, fat, smelly, drunk, loud and ugly dude at the pool wearing a THONG. YES, seeing something like that would send me hurling. I beleive one should dress and act properly to allow others to enjoy their trip. Thusly, I avoid areas where rude people go to do their in-breding.
Old January 16th, 2003, 10:16 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Are jeans allowed?

Well Dennis, I really don't think that is, or ever has been a problem. Even those that wish to wear jeans, well it doesn't mean they are less than anyone else. It often means that they are unfamiliar with the traditions of cruising or proper ediquette in the dining room and eqate eating onboard ship with a dining room of a decent resteurant and not having a 'dining experiance'. As for the people that cruise on Carnival, I have seen those from all walks of life and social stature and income levels and almost all are well behaved and considerate. I have seen rudiness on all lines including the premium lines and quite frankly some of the most inconsiderate and snotty people travel on the more expensive lines. It takes all kinds in this world of ours and you will find ships are just a reflection of this world. Go, enjoy and mind your own manners and many people will respond in kind. It's called leading by example and by showing kindness and manners you will be surprised at the number of people that will respond in kind.
Jim

Old January 16th, 2003, 10:17 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Are jeans allowed?

I usually only "carry my adornments on my soul," a la Cyrano De Bergerac. However, "when in Rome..." Proper attire is just an appropriate way of speaking Latin.
That's the spirit, though not the letter, of Carnival's "suggestion."

Steve

23 days until Sensation, I'm filling up with anticipation
Old January 16th, 2003, 04:04 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Are jeans allowed?

People, please remember that differing opinions are welcome and we all have the right to them. The rules of these message boards is that personal attacks are not tolerated so you cannot call someon a snob or any other derogatory name. Lets keep it friendly and adult and follow the rules.
Jim
Community Staff Leader

Old January 16th, 2003, 06:46 PM
cruisepimp

Let me throw a monkey wrench on things. I dont wear jeans much anymore because I prefer the comfort of Dockers and Dockers like wear. I do have a few pairs of the nice Dockers Denim...would this be acceptable? Personally I wouldnt even wear those to the dining room but I guess it beats Levi's. CCL would come right out and say NO jeans if they knew it wouldnt piss off a percentage of the population. They are basically telling us though that they would LIKE to see everyone dress somewhat for dinner. It takes no longer to get ready for dinner to slip on a pair of comfy slacks and a button down shirt as it does a pari of jeans. I ll tell you something else when you come to the dining room dressed down everyone does notice. I saw a guy without a jacket on my last cruise first formal and the guy seemed nice but all the low whisper and chatter at the tables around us was discussing what a red neck or rude person he was. I dont make the rules of cruising I just follow them.
Old January 16th, 2003, 07:25 PM
Sue Sue

This topic is as old as, well, chair saving and ill mannered noisy children. But, you know this is what these boards are all about. We have an opportunity to talk about what bugs us, or what we like and what we do or do not know about cruising. Maybe, just maybe some folks can be educated or enlightened. If not, well, they will continue on with whatever. I for one for the record say - .NO Jeans in the dining room, dress comfy yet resort casual. Hey, folks don't need to go overboard,.( well, maybe I shouldn't describe it that way for cruising), In fact, my DH and I intend on keeping our packing to a minimum and most likley will dress up the same slacks and/or casual dress for the two weeks we are on board. All four formal nights will be the same black suit and black dress with different ties and accessories. So, we will be keeping things simple, casual and affordable. Definetly not a fashion show, however, we will still be keeping within an acceptable and suitable level of attire for a cruise.
Old January 17th, 2003, 09:37 AM
Jamie Gunter

We went on the Imagination in August and jeans were allowed. I called Carnival and asked. The only night it was not allowed was on formal night. My husband wore nice jeans and a polo shirt to dinner most nights. He looked just fine.
Old January 17th, 2003, 05:39 PM
Admiral

You paid for your cruise....wear what you want. Should we really worry about what others think is proper or not proper? Of course not!

Old January 17th, 2003, 07:47 PM
Admiral

I have to disagree Rick. Yes I do care what others think and try to do what is considered good manners. I honestly think the world would be a better place if we could only show more concern for others. Heck, the Corp is loaded with tradition, I doubt you would think much of others tossing the traditions of the Corp in the trash. <G>
Jim

Old January 17th, 2003, 08:14 PM
First Mate

As the world changes so does traditions. Just like the Marines enlisting women, the cruise lines are letting jeans in the dinning room on casual nights.<G>

Majesty Of The Seas 06
Carnival Victory06
Holland America Oosterdam 05
Carnival inspiration04
Carnival Destiny04
Carnival Legend03
Imagination99
Sensation94,96,98,01
Jubilee92,97,00
Festival87
Old January 18th, 2003, 10:16 AM
Admiral

Is it any wonder stress is such an overwhelming condition of people these days. Why is everyone so stressed out about jeans in the dining room? "That guy three tables away is wearing jeans! How dare him! This is the dining room for God's sake!"

"Well, look at that woman over there. She's using the wrong fork for her salad. Does she have no class?"

"I think the Maitre 'D should remove that couple against the wall. They are smooching in front of everyone! This is not the place to kiss each other!"

Why make a big deal out of something that's not? I don't wear jeans in the dining room because I want to look nice for my beloved wife.

I wonder, if jeans were $1000 per pair and only the wealthy could afford them if this conversation would be this lengthy.

Regards,
Thomas (who is trying to live a less stressful life)
Old January 18th, 2003, 12:34 PM
thoth

Default jeans are cou de rouge

Your travel agent is not horrible for telling you not to wear jeans in the formal dining room. Wearing bluejeans on formal or even informal nights, might make one look like a redneck. if you wish to dine casual then eat in the buffet.
Old January 18th, 2003, 12:49 PM
First Mate

Default Re: jeans are cou de rouge

What does a "redneck" look like ?

Majesty Of The Seas 06
Carnival Victory06
Carnival inspiration04
Carnival Destiny04
Carnival Legend03
Imagination99
Sensation94,96,98,01
Jubilee92,97,00
Festival87
Old January 18th, 2003, 01:23 PM
thoth

Default less than classy

What I am saying is if someone should wear jeans to a formal dinner, it would make him or her look unsophisticated. The company at my tables when I cruise impress me as a erudite crowd. I like to fit in!!! "redneck" as it applies to Carnival, is the 20 to 30 somethings party animal drunks who frequent that late night vulgar/profane comedy show.
Old January 18th, 2003, 02:05 PM
Admiral

Whats wrong with the late night vulgar/profane comedy show? You can wear jeans and not be a redneck unless you wear a belt buckle with your name on it.

Old January 18th, 2003, 03:14 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Are jeans allowed?

Now wait a minute. Understand there is a big differance between 'white trash' and a redneck. 'Redneck' actually described a worker or farmer that worked outdoors for a living and often developed a sunburnt or deeply tanned neck by doing so. Nothing to be ashamed about there and I fit that description in some ways. I am also honest, hard-working, wear dress clothes to dinner, except on formal nights when I put on my tuxedo, I know which fork or spoon to use as well as which glass and how to order wine. (The good stuff, not MD20/20 or Thunderbird) <VBG> Also it does not bear well to judge a person by their appearance, some are just unaware of what 'resort casual' really means and most will attempt to conform when they learn what is, for lack of a better word, 'proper'.
Jim

Old January 18th, 2003, 03:22 PM
thoth

Default Late night show

What is wrong with being profane??? ugly Americans with low IQ's....... thats what!! When the bloke on stage uses the "F" word, he is proclaiming his ignorance. Intellectual people do not use profanity to express themselves, nor do they appeciate witless "comics" who cannot properly express themselves without saying the much beloved "F" word. Also, a beltbuckle makes not a gentleman a redneck, his demeanor does!!
Old January 18th, 2003, 03:53 PM
First Mate

Default Re: less than classy

I think i may change my name to "crusin4funredneck" because i don't like to just "FIT IN" AND I GO TO EVERY LATE NIGHT SHOW THAT I CAN.... bucket of beers anyone????

Majesty Of The Seas 06
Carnival Victory06
Carnival inspiration04
Carnival Destiny04
Carnival Legend03
Imagination99
Sensation94,96,98,01
Jubilee92,97,00
Festival87
Old January 18th, 2003, 04:40 PM
Admiral

Well..... as I said...I PAID for my cruise..so I will wear and do what I want. I will continue wearing my speedo's at the pool and jeans on formal night (with coat and tie of course)! I am sorry some of the others posting here don't look good in a speedo and jeans like I do.

Old January 19th, 2003, 08:33 AM
cruisepimp

So Rick that was you on Destiny in 97 huh hahahaaaaha
Dude when in Rome do as the Romans do. The cruiselines dont like folks who wear jeans to the dining room but they arent gonna flat ban them because of the 7 or 8 percent that do wear them regardless of what anyone else thinks. 200 people on a cruise of 3400 passengers add up to alot of dollars. That dont make it right though. No they wont throw you out for doing it but take it from someone who knows. If you wear jeans in the dining room about 200 people all around you are going to give you the eye all dinner. Now if you say that dont happen then you arent observing.
Old January 19th, 2003, 09:34 AM
Admiral

Rick, you kill me man ! ! ! I'm ROFLMFAO !

If you think the beer gut, bald head, sagging arm skin, double-chin over the Speedo looks good you rock!! And I bet the crusty, frayed, lucky ball cap looks great with the jeans/coat/tie too!

<wink>

Regards,
Thomas
Old January 19th, 2003, 11:18 AM
Jenny24

Just got back off of the conquest. Not many people wore jeans I dont recall noticing any one wearing them and I was looking.
Old January 19th, 2003, 11:58 AM
Admiral

Thomas, I love you guys and gals ! lol

Old January 19th, 2003, 12:32 PM
cruisepimp

Hey Rick what color is you re frayed hat? I want to make sure I m in style on my 1/25 cruise.
Old January 19th, 2003, 12:37 PM
First Mate

I agree with Rick! If what you are wearing is clean and neat..they do as you please!
I could not care less what people are wearing at dinner, I am there to enjoy myself, and I usually dress up, and so does my family, but I sure am not there to glare at what other people are wearing!
Mary Margaret
Old January 19th, 2003, 01:59 PM
thoth

Default I stand corrected

The term 'redneck" is ambiguous. That I understand. The problem is that I cannot find the proper demeaning slur to describe these foul mouthed party animals who give Carnival a bad name at times. "white trash" to me connotates poor people. I have known many class-less people who have lots of money and come from seemingly good homes.
Old January 19th, 2003, 03:22 PM
martinimomma.

Default Re: Late night show

THANK YOU FOR SAYING IT ALL FOR ME!!!