Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 24th, 2003, 09:34 PM
T"dot"

Default 2 way radios

Does anyone know if you bring your own 2 way radios (my 2 way is made by GE) on the ship will they work in the southern carribbean? Has anyone tried them. I think it is a great way to keep in touch with the other people in your group. If you have tried them and they work do you get interference from others on board using the same frequency?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old January 25th, 2003, 08:44 AM
J&T

Default Re: 2 way radios

Yes, they seem to work even way down below! We were on the Conquest 2/12 and saw a few folks using them. Usine them looks kinda nerdy, but then again we had some times we wish we knew where the other was and could have used them!
Old January 25th, 2003, 08:50 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: 2 way radios

Hey! I resemble that remark! What makes cellphones less nerdy than 2-way radios?
Heh?<VBG>

Steve

14 days until Sensation--I'll leave the pocket protector on shore.
Old January 25th, 2003, 12:39 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: 2 way radios

We used them and they are great! However, unless you have the kind which have like 10 subchannels you will get interference from other people on the same channel.

They were not good at transmitting from the bowels of the ship to the other side of the ship (too much metal in between) but out in the open they worked perfectly. My brother-in-law and I were sitting in a bar on the ship and talking to the girls shopping on the shore. It made keeping in touch and knowing where everybody was a breeze.

Regards,
Thomas
Old January 25th, 2003, 10:44 PM
steveyY

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: 2 way radios

Hey, with the heightened security will the ships allow 2 way radios?? Won't it interfere with the shipboard communications with the outside world? Just wondering
Old January 26th, 2003, 06:03 AM
kilarney

Please, as a courtesy to others, get the kind with security codes or at the least sub-channels. It isn't fair for the person in the deck chair next to you to have to listen to all sorts of radio chatter. The security codes will ensure that just your parties transmissions will come through.
Old January 26th, 2003, 11:27 AM
Full metal jacket

I have been researching the 2-way radios and there are 2 types available at Wallmart stores. Of course one is the FRS(family radio service), 2 miles max. and the other a GMRS. (General M_____Radio Service), this unit is a 5 mile max. The latter requires a licenses available on-line. Some GMRS also inclues some FRS frequencys so they could be used for both types although when in FRS mode they will only transmitt @ 2 miles. The unit that most impressed me for $49 each included a vibration alert, the only way to go. I have had the FRS radios for several years and do know thee was a warning for use in the USA only.
Old January 26th, 2003, 12:14 PM
Admiral

The M in GMRS stands for mobile. It's like an FM version of CB. Before cellular networks bloomed on the scene, GMRS was considered a cheap alternative to the mobile telephone service offered by local phone companies in some areas. You could subscribe to a GMRS service and have access to autopatch facilities for your local area only. The radios otherwise worked like a shared business band concept. The biggest problem with the concept, besides geographic limitations--you had to be close to the repeater to use the patch--was the utter lack of privacy, which some subscribers were absolutely clueless about. Many a listener got ears singed by some of the overheard conversations. Many a philanderer caught, through a false sense of security. TMI, I know. Sometimes the hunks pontificates.

Steve

13 days until Sensation
Old January 27th, 2003, 11:38 AM
emee

can you take them on the plane? Ours last year didn't work. Motorola but too many others on the connection. Which ones do you suggest
Old January 31st, 2003, 09:12 PM
raj

would the existence of 2 way radios cause a problem at airport security??
Old January 31st, 2003, 11:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

We took two GMRS radios on the Legend in December, and they worked great. Make sure you read the manual, as some GMRS have a number of channels on the FRS system which means those channels transmit at the lower power level on the FRS channels. With all the metal around you, you need the extra power of the GMRS channels to punch tthrough to the cabins from up on the boobie deck.

22 Princess Cruises to date, with 50 cruises on all cruise lines starting in 12/2000
Old February 2nd, 2003, 09:37 AM
Admiral

Definitely get the kind that has sub-channels so you can program yours to frequencies that are not busy. We bought ours at Wal-Mart for ( I think!) about $20 each and they have vibration alert too. They also have a monitoring feature.

You can rent them from the purser's desk but if I recall they were around $99 for the week for 2 of them. Much cheaper to buy them and afterwards you still have them. We use them sometimes at football games to keep up with others in our party.

Regards,
Thomas