Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 27th, 2003, 08:22 PM
Passenger

Default Best phone cards to get?

Just wondering what kind of phone card to get that will work when we are out of the United States. We are going to Grand Cayman and Cozumel. Any advise would be helpful. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old January 28th, 2003, 07:40 PM
katrina

Default Re: Best phone cards to get?

I got an AT&T prepaid phone card at Sam's Club (275 minutes for $10), I contacted AT&T regarding the number of mintues at are used, here is the information that I received; when using the calling card you need to have an access code: for Grand Cayman the access code is 1/800-872-2881 for every 1 minute they deduct 5 minutes //// for Cozumel the access code is 001-800-462-4240 or 01-800-288-2872 and for every 1 minute they deduct 9 minutes. Don't know if you need it..but if by chance someone needs to get ahold of you on the ship in case of emergency - they can call 877/225-7447, the caller must have the ship name and the guest name, (room number is good too)...the caller also has to have a charge card to put the charges on - it doesn't bill to their phone bill like making a long distance call....here's the kicker..it cost $9.50 per minute if they call the ship...hope this helps you... this is our first cruise and we are leaving behind small children - the mommy in me is a nervous wreak, but the woman in me NEEDS this vaction..hope you have a great time
Old January 28th, 2003, 09:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Best phone cards to get?

We have tried to get the ATT Sams Club cards to work in a number of Caribbean ports and Cozumel and have found that the phones on the docks and in town seem to have blockers on them that will not let you use the access codes given to you by ATT.

I'm sure it's a gimmick so that their local phones companies get the business at some inflated rates rather than the cheap US phone company cards.

Sprint PCS works in St. Thomas, St. Croix and San Juan. I'm not sure about the other US cell companies phones. Sprint PCS also works in Barbados but in an analog roam mode.

You can use Verizon Wireless in Cozumel @ 69 cents per minute from Verizon plus whatever long distance charges are levied by Taco Bell (that's the Mexican phone company's knick name).

22 Princess Cruises to date, with 50 cruises on all cruise lines starting in 12/2000
Old January 28th, 2003, 09:18 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Best phone cards to get?

I am leaving small children behind too! I agree, I am nervous but I need a vacation. That is why I want to get a calling card to check in on them. What ship are you going on? We are going on the sensation feb 8th.

Sunny
Old January 29th, 2003, 08:50 AM
katrina

Default Re: Re: Re: Best phone cards to get?

We are on the Sensation sailing out on 02/22 - when you return let me know how it was, we are very excited, our first vacation in 15 years.....