Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 10th, 2003, 11:47 AM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to jon
Default Pre-paid tip

I've read several posts but havn't determined if it is something that they do on every cruise. Does Carnival automatically charge tips to my account and it's my responsibility to have them removed? I'll not eat meal one in the dining room and have no intention of tipping the staff there. Just want to be prepared. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old February 10th, 2003, 11:50 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Pre-paid tip

I just came off the Elation and they did the pre-pay tips. If you do not plan on eating in the dining room (and frankly I don't know why you would want to eat anywhere else!), then you can have the pursers desk remove that portion.
Old February 10th, 2003, 01:32 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Pre-paid tip

Jon,

Nushnakka is absolutely right. You can have these tips removed.
This way you'll have extra money for tipping your room service staff.

What deck did you plan on sleeping on (in order to save tipping the room steward)?

Just kidding,

Gary
Old February 10th, 2003, 02:10 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Pre-paid tip

You can have them removed whether you eat in the dinning room or not. I will tip but get very outraged, whether in a restaurant or on a cruise, when I am made to tip before I get any damn service. How arogant! That's like a kick in the face to me. They (restaurants, cruises, etc.) simply want us, customers, to pay their employees salary. What a scam, I wish this was, all of a sudden, add to every business. The results would be interesting.

OK, I feel better now .
Old February 10th, 2003, 02:31 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Just a word here, the same staff that work in the dining room also work the buffet and other alternative dining areas for breakfast and lunch, so you would still be stiffing someone of their tip when they serve you either on the Lido deck or elsewhere.

Old February 10th, 2003, 02:49 PM
First Mate

I have no problem tipping...and have and will continue to tip my steward and anyone else deserving. However, I do have a problem when the ship determines the "proper amount. " Thanks for the response.
Old February 10th, 2003, 02:50 PM
First Mate

Tips are a part of cruising. Just like port charges. I am in food service and I work for tips. They are very worth every penny they receive and then some. Because I am in Fodd service, I tend to tip very generously to all. Happy cruising to all!
Old February 10th, 2003, 04:28 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Pre-paid tip

Gee where do you think the restaurants and cruise line get the money to pay their employees. It's from the customers. If they raised the pay of their employees then that cost would be passed along to the customers (you and I). Maybe the cruise lines should also give their employees workers comp. and health and life insurance and paid vacations and holidays. Then we would be lucky enough to have the price of our cruises double or triple, wouldn't that be nice.
Old February 10th, 2003, 04:33 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pre-paid tip

My last cruise, I had what I considered a wonderful steward....seldom seen, but I always knew he'd been there. My neighbors however thought he was rude and elusive. I tipped well, they tipped nothing. I guess it works out that way, but I think it's up to the patron rather than the cruise line.
Old February 10th, 2003, 08:56 PM
Admiral

Jon, no one will try to make you tip anyone anything. If you don't want to tip, then by all means don't.
The first time I cruised where they used this system I thought I wouldn't like it but now I'm convinced it's the best way. Just my opinion.

As far as the cruise line adding the tips on up front, that is for the convience of both passengers and staff at the front desk. Can you Imagine waiting til the last night to add tips on 2500 passengers accounts and the resulting nightmare it would create with hundreds trying to adjust them up or down all at the last minute?

All you need to do is sometime during the week go by the pursers desk and ask for the form to adjust the tips. It's quick, painless and not a big deal.

Go and enjoy your cruise and don't sweat the small stuff.