CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Shore Excursions in Calica & Cozumel (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/190738-shore-excursions-calica-cozumel.html)

xcitedcruiser April 22nd, 2003 09:35 AM

Shore Excursions in Calica & Cozumel

Leaving on Celebration June 2nd for Calica and Cozumel. Myself(39), Husband(39) and son (19). Looking at different trips to take. This will be our first cruise. In Calica we are looking at taking the bus excursion to Cancun. In Cozumel either the Fiesta Party Boat or the Catamaran Snorkling and Sail to Beach. My son wants to Snorkel and we want to go to the beach. Any suggestions on the best excursions?

L Galloway April 22nd, 2003 11:16 AM

Re: Shore Excursions in Calica & Cozumel

In Cozumel my husband and I did the Mayan Ruins tour. We were really looking forward to that and had chosen the cruise we did because of that excursion. We were disappointed because we weren't able to get close enough to look inside, but still it's an awesome thing to see! Plus you can go down to the beach at the bottom of the cliff and swim before going back to the ship. Some folks at our dinner table did the Jeep rental and loved that as well. While others enjoyed shopping at the market.

L. Galloway

Chowwhitney April 22nd, 2003 12:26 PM

If the catamaran sail and snorkel is on the Fury, it is wonderful. You get to enjoy sailing, some time snorkeling and then some time at a beach where they have food and drinks you can purchase. On the way back, they serve unlimited corona, margaritas and punch. I think we paid $42 for adults and was well worth it. We also booked the bus to Cancun, but couldn't dock because of a barge that had broken down in the channel. Went to Cozumel for a second day so don't know about Cancun/Calica.

nushnakka April 22nd, 2003 05:19 PM

A fun time in Coz is at the Playa Del Sol Beach Break. Lots of activities, facilities, shopping and with the fee, about $20 pp, open bar. My kids thoroughly enjoyed this the most.

xcitedcruiser April 22nd, 2003 08:52 PM

What recommondations do you have on what to do in Calica. We will be there from 7am till 3:30 pm? What is the weather like there around the first week in June?

blumoo April 22nd, 2003 11:17 PM

Re: Re: Shore Excursions in Calica & Cozumel

By open bar do you mean there is no drink limit? Also is there a fe to use the non motorized water toys, floats, etc.. Do you recall how much the cab fare to get there was?
Thanks!

nushnakka April 23rd, 2003 07:13 AM

No drink limit but I believe the mixed drinks to be watered down. There was no fee to use any of the water toys etc. Cab fare was cheap, can't remember exactly but again cheap. My kids were 14, 19 and 20. There were lots of college kids there (spring break) and some of them were boasting 20 tequila slammers. With the drinks watered down however the kids had a good buzz and they enjoyed it. How often can they do something like that? There was sand volleyball, hammocks, water trampoline, kayaks & canoes, ice berg float, etc. Plenty to do.

JustShari April 23rd, 2003 07:53 AM

I went to Playa Del Sol Beach Break last week when the cruise I was on docked in Cozumel. The fee is $28.50, the beach is gorgeous!! The non motorized water toys, water trampoline, chairs are included in the price. Rest assured, the drinks that I had were not watered down in the least! They offer a pretty wide drink selection in the open bar. Also available, at your expense, is an outdoor restaurant. The prices were reasonable there, but not "cheap" The shopping just outside the entrance to the beach was comparable to the shopping in town, as far as bargaining with the merchants, etc. The cab fare is $12.00 each way, so the best option is to share a cab! We ended up in a van, but the price was still the same.

nushnakka April 23rd, 2003 12:29 PM

Wow it has gone up in price, we paid $19 pp. Maybe the drinks served to the "kids" were watered down because I tried them and rest assured, they were indeed watered down! Nonetheless it was a good time.