Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 23rd, 2003, 06:56 AM
George in NY

Default Legend - Back to carnival - suite expectation?

We, my wife and I, have been cruising for almost 20 years now and have actually lost count. Some may remember me from The Mining Company when I was the original Cruise Guide. I have high expectations of the future cruise port viability of NY City brought about by people's desire to sail away from ports more local to their geographical area. Seeing Carnival NY to Caribbean and NCL's arrival and plan to sail year round from NY has gotten me excited once again about NY cruising.

We sail on the Legend in June, cat 11 cabin 6162. We haven't sailed Carnival since 1988 when we sailed the Celebration. After that sailing we had decided that some other lines were more to our style although we had a great cruise and met lifelong friends that we still sail with and visit in Texas. Although I am very knowledgeable about many lines that we sail resailing Carnival will be like having a whole new experience for us after so many years. So I have a couple of questions for al you Carnival experts out there.

1. The Cat 11 Suite appears to be fairly roomy although like most " suites " on ships hardly truly bares any resemblance to what most landlubbers would consider a suite. Does anyone have an actula photo's of a midship cat 11 similar to 6132. My search for real shots has not been all that fruitfull.

2. What, if any, amenities are normal in such a suite. They idicate butler service so I presume full menu available in cabin if so desired?

3. Anything provided such as robes, fruit baskets, or any of the small pluses?

I will, of course, do a review upon our return and should have lot's of photo's. It will be interesting to see how Carnival stacks up for us versus our RCL and Celebrity cruises of recent years.

We have also booked the NCL Dawn in October. We haven't sailed the line since early 90's although it had been our favorite and original line. We stopped when they starting letting the line slip and also started a trend in onboard revenue gathering. Sadly it is obvious that my dire predictions made then have for the most part come true, all the lines have made an art out of onboard revenue gathering now. It can be debated that stressing onboard revenue coupled with lower cruise rates doesn't impact overall costs to cruiser as much as some may think, however, my personal feelings are that it cheapens the cruise experience of past years. None the less, it appears to be here to stay for a while. So having recieved a good deal I thought I would give the Dawn a shot especially since I have toured her and the cabin offering that was made was one I had several photo's of. Another " suite " that I would not consider a suite by any stretch but at least I already know exactly what I am getting.

Thanks for any information you can feed this cruisaholic.

George in NY
Sponsored Links
Old April 23rd, 2003, 08:22 AM
martinimomma

Default Re: Legend - Back to carnival - suite expectation?

IMHO, If you cruise Celebrity, you will be disappointed in Carnival. BUT, having been on Carnival in 1998, and again this past February (5 years later), I can tell you the food has improved immensely. Other than that, I didn't see much of a change. Oh, except that the attire worn in the dining rooms and basically on ship was much more relaxed...especially in the dining room. "Formal" night had folks from black tie to those Hawaiian shirts, not much formal about it.. I am a Celebrity person, and think the service is excellent on their ships. Didn't notice much out of the ordinary on Carnival.
Have a great cruise!!!
Old April 23rd, 2003, 10:33 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Hi George..
We sailed the Legend in Jan, and except for Farcus URN obsession, we really liked the ship alot!! Easy layout, some very nice, fun public rooms, and food and crew were mostly top rate.

The CAT 11s, as you say, don't have any real resemblance to suites. Just a larger room, with a bit more furniture.

But ... I'll be really surprised if you don't enjoy this ship!

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old April 23rd, 2003, 10:44 AM
Admiral

Hi George and welcome back! Haven't 'seen' you about for awhile. That website at cruisestaterooms.com and the one at travelocity.com both have 360 degree cameras of the suites. I don't personally know much about them as I am just a poor boy and can't afford one of those. <G> I think you will find a tremendous differance in Carnival from when you last went. The food, service, entertainment, and the entire line has made vast improvements and the Legend is one of my very favorites. As for comparision to Celebrity, I don't see Celebrity anywhere equal except in service and actually I didn't care for the superformal attitude of that service. Be looking forward to your review!
Jim

Old April 23rd, 2003, 11:14 AM
Cath

Hi George,

On Legend, all outside rooms have robes. Also, if you are in cat. 11, you should be eligible for the Skippers Club to help out when boarding. If you are looking for pictures, do a search on webshots... I'm almost sure that I saw a photo of a category 11 for Legend (If I find it again, I'll let you know exactly where). You might also want to check either Carnival Pride or Spirit - they are all sister ships.

Can't wait to hear your review because I am leaving on the Legend October 4th... Are you going to San Juan, St. Thomas, and Tortola? I am very interested about shore excursions... Especially in San Juan because I can't figure out what to do in a night port.

I hope you have a great time!!

-cath
Old April 23rd, 2003, 11:21 AM
Cath

Hi George,

I just did a quick look and found LOTS of pictures of Cat. 11.

Check out the following link... Whoever took these pictures was awesome... They took photos from all sorts of angles...

http://community.webshots.com/album/58806902IvrapN

-cath
;-)
Old April 26th, 2003, 09:42 AM
George in NY

Default Re: Re: Legend - Back to carnival - suite expectation?

Martinimomma,
Thank you for your reply. I am going with proper expectations and do not expect the same experience as I have with Celebrity but this is a good thing. Nice to get a change of pace now and again. The convenience of sailing from and back to NY should more than make sailing worth while.

Thanks again,
George in NY
Old April 26th, 2003, 09:49 AM
George in NY

Kuki,

I am pretty confident that we will have a good time, cruising has never failed us before no matter what the ship or line. I read your review with interest especially the cabin portion. The particular cabin you had is probably the least cat 11 space wise near as I can tell. Interestingly i see Carnival is offering a guarentee rate for an 11 or 12 which saves about $600. But if you check the only ones listed as available are those upper deck aft units, 1 cat 12 and 1 empress deck cat 11. Obviously they are trying to fill those as guarentees at a lesser rate. I concur with you that those particular cabins should be recatorgized lower or offered at discount.

Thanks,
George in NY
Old April 26th, 2003, 10:02 AM
George in NY

Jim,
Nice to hear from you again as well. I must say I don't frequent cruise areas as much as I used to simply because after having done so for so many years hard to stay focused on subject I guess.

I have checked out most sites but find that actual photo's taken by ordinary cruisers are far more reflective of actual cabins. Sites often have standard layout schematic and even a 360 degree is often wide lens and gives different perspective.

As we all know, each to their own, I usually prefer a little more formal cruise than not but also can enjoy a much less formal one for a change in pace. I live in jeans and sweatshirts ( cruise sweatshirts of course so I am more readily ameniable to dressup when traveling. Since I have the expectation of a les formal environment I will be perfectly happy with that atmosphere. I am leaving the tux out of the equation.

The big change for me will be our October cruise on NCL Dawn. I think it is time I try freestyle cruising and see how that does with me.

George in NY
Old April 26th, 2003, 10:17 AM
George in NY

Cath,
Thank for your reply. Actually I had seen the photo's that you refer to. The cabin is an aft cabin however and probably has a different confirguration. I enjoyed looking at them again though. Most of the photo's I have found are press release photo's that often fail to properly depict a cabin as how it actually is. What I try to find is photo's taken by ordinary cruisers.

Yes on itinerary. I presume that we dock in Old San Juan so we are there enough to take a nice walk around the area and see the forts and shop a little. For evening a ships tour to SanJuan maybe to one of the fancy hotels might be in order. I would take the ships excursion simply because you will not have to worry about missing the ship if there are any traffic problems etc getting back to Old San Juan.

What we will probably do since we have been there numerous times is simply take a walk, gamble a little in the Wyndam hotel opposite the piers then enjoy sitting onboard ship and watching the evening pass in the harbor. I have always enjoyed pulling out of San Juan at night and watching the night lights.

I would not recommend the rain forest excursion if they have that unless you aer real big on rain forest. Most of the excursion is bus time to get there and back with little actual forest time. We took the Bicardi Rum tour once and enjoyed it, nothing great shakes but nice ride into and around San Juan to get to factory. Some samples and a little tour, inexpensive and kills some time while allowing you to see some of city area. Really can't tell you aren't in any state, Sears, Kentucky Chickend etc etc. The El San Juan hotel is always impressive to walk around.

George in NY