Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 12th, 2003, 12:56 PM
Passenger

Default Things to do in Cozumel????

Does anyone have any wonderful ideas of things to do in Cozumel? We'll be there in September.

Thanks.
Le
Sponsored Links
Old June 12th, 2003, 02:03 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Things to do in Cozumel????

If you go to the Carnival website you can search all the tours in that area. When we went I also checked out books from the library on the Caribbean area that had things we could do on our own. We took the Tulum Ruins tour which was fun. Some folks rented jeeps and enjoyed that while others enjoyed just shopping at the little market area right there on Cozumel. Many of the tours like ours, require you to go by ferry to the mainland then a bus or tax trip to your excursion location.

L. Galloway
Old June 12th, 2003, 02:25 PM
Passenger

Thanks. We are going to Playa del Carmen the day after Cozumel - so thought we'd do the Tulum Ruins while there on the mainland. The jeep idea sounds good. I'm not the best shopper in the world. (For which my husband is very thankful.) :-)
Old June 12th, 2003, 03:45 PM
First Mate

If you like a beach with lots to do, try PlayaSol. You can get a cab there easily from the dock. They have a nice beach, snorkeling, trampolines in the water, food/drink readily available, a pool, music, a little "zoo," just lots to do. It is a busy place - would be good for kids and teens.

Libby
Old June 12th, 2003, 04:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Things to do in Cozumel????

You could try going to Chankanaad Beach in Cozumel.We were there last week on the Celebration. The ship excursions are so pricey. You can snorkle, swim, eat, scuba, drink and just relax there. It cost us 10.00 taxi from the Puarta Maya pier and 10.00 each to get in. We got there early and had no problem with crowds. Then took another cab to town(another 10.00) and shopped on the strip. Doing things on your own is so much nicer with having no schedule like the ship excursion are.
In Calica, take the free Carnival bus to Playa Del Carmen and shop there. They also have nice free beaches and a Senor Frogs! Cab ride back to Calica pier is 10.00. Enjoy!
Old June 12th, 2003, 04:33 PM
Passenger

Thanks, everyone.. My list of ideas is growing. Senor Frogs - how could I forget about that wonderful fun place?!?

Does anyone know if there is one particular pier that Carnival uses in Cozumel? I'm finding there are 4 given for the island.
Old June 13th, 2003, 08:12 AM
Cruise Maniac

What ship will you be on and what day do you leave?
Old June 13th, 2003, 11:11 AM
Admiral

Since you are going to Playa Del Carmen another great thing to do there is Xcaret. The ruins are nice also. We were in Cancun for a week and spent a day at Xcaret. My family absolutely loved it. There was something for everyone unfortunately your ship will probably leave before they have the Mayan show there which starts at 7pm as it was spectacular! Tulum is very nice because it is along the coast but if your iten includes a stop to Costa Maya I would suggest doing the ruins there instead and do Xcaret in Playa Del Carmen. Happy sailing!
Old June 13th, 2003, 11:43 AM
Passenger

We are going on Monday, September 8th, out of New Orleans on the Holiday. Thank to all for the suggestions.
Old June 13th, 2003, 12:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

Playa Sol was very fun. You should go there.
Old June 13th, 2003, 12:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

You will sail on the same schedule I had. Get to Cozumel on Wednesday and Calica on Thursday. You will probably dock at the International Pier (right by Carlo's and Charlie's). The holiday was docked there while we were in port. Were were at the Puarta Maya Pier with the Fascination. The International Pier will put you about 2.5 miles from downtown. A good website to go to is Cozumelinsider.com. It give's you so much info on the town and also shows the weekly ship schedule on what pier you would likely be at and how many ships will be in town that day. We had 7. Go to this website and click on "Activities" and then on the pop up menu click on Cruise Ship Arrival Schedule. Hope all this helps. Enjoy!
Old June 13th, 2003, 03:19 PM
Passenger

exictedcruiser, That Cozumel Insider website is great! Just took a look around and it has gobs of information. Thank you so much. That will definitely help me in doing our own planning so we don't have to depend on the cruiseship excursions. I appreciate the info.
Old June 16th, 2003, 06:00 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to mcFROG2

We just returned from the Imagination and Cozumel.....here are my recomendations....
After the basic "must do" stingray and possibly the Dolphin encounter at Chankinaub Park (sp?) We went back to the ship and cleaned up.....Then took a $6.00 taxi ride to downtown Cozumel....(we asked locals where were the best places for dinner...they recommended LaParilla's and the the Mission House....We were taken to LaParilla's just two blocks off the main drag behind Carlos and Charlie's.There we were taken to the back porch...(vine and greenery,flower laden area...just wonderful !! They started our dinner off with chips and salsa's (3 flavors)and a golden margarita YuMMMMmmm !
Then they brought out a grill placed on the tabletop with steaks,porkchops,chicken,sausages,peppers,onions and man it cooked right there on our table.......it was awsome.....when we left we walked down the street back to the main strip and window shopped and visited Carlos and Charlie's for a while.....and back to the ship after wandering through the markets....had a great time.....I recomend LaParillas..it was $40.00 total US for all the food and drinks....

by the way Dana the CD on Imagination was "Healdish"and did a great job !! Im writing my review and will be available soon.

Old June 17th, 2003, 01:21 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to 1stxcruiser

Scuba or site see?

Carnival Conquest
Old June 17th, 2003, 03:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

we are divers and have been to cozumel many times.. a really good excursion
in cozumel is the catamaran Fury.. they do and excellent job with both expert
and beginner snorkelers.. the beaches are okay.. but the real beauty of cozumel is
under the water..
Old June 19th, 2003, 08:46 AM
Passenger

He again Le,
I want to add one thing about the Ruins tour. If you are into history this is a must see. We booked our honeymoon cruise around being able to do this. We have found many cruises with beach trips, but this is an opportunity you won't find in the Bahamas, Grand Cayman, Virgin Islands, etc... so if you are even thinking about seeing them you really need to consider that. After the tour they let you go down to the beach and swim for about an hour depending on how long the tour guide took on everything else because the ruins are on a cliff over looking the ocean. I have pictures on my website at http://scgalloways.tripod.com if you want to check it out. Our trip to Cozumel was with Royal Caribbean so can't help with where Carnival docks.

L. Galloway